• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    So we just got this in a couple hours ago. I have determined it was made by a guy/company named "Pieper". Apparently Steyr was affiliated with them at some point however there are no Steyr markings on the gun. There are Belgian proof marks including "depose". Its chambered in 25. I looked up Pieper but no model that I have found is like it. The barrel is not a break top. It also came with the pictured coin purse and the German registration papers (from 1919). Its in excellent condition and even has two mags. Can you guys tell me anything about it? Value? Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_3582.jpg
      DSC_3582.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 413
    • DSC_3581.jpg
      DSC_3581.jpg
      38.6 KB · Views: 402
    • DSC_3583.jpg
      DSC_3583.jpg
      44.9 KB · Views: 409
    • DSC_3584.jpg
      DSC_3584.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 398
    • DSC_3585.jpg
      DSC_3585.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 398
    • DSC_3586.jpg
      DSC_3586.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 402

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Pictures are really dark...However based on your reference to Pieper, I would say you mean Nicholas Pieper, and you might be looking at a Steyr 1909. I will look more into it when I get home and can get to my references. I will give you a value as well once I can confirm.

Jul 1, 2012
    Interesting. Design looks similar to the FN 1899/1900.
    The logo on grips looks like the old FN logo?
    What led you to Pieper?

It's not a Steyr 1909, which is a tip-up and slab-sided.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Interesting. Design looks similar to the FN 1899/1900.
    The logo on grips looks like the old FN logo?
    What led you to Pieper?

It's not a Steyr 1909, which is a tip-up and slab-sided.

The grip is a P over an N which lead me Pieper. There are markings on the top of the barrel which I can sort of make out Pieper but they're almost obliterated. Like it was double or triple stamped. Some of the Pieper guns look really similar, but have the break/tilt barrels. This one is fixed.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Pictures are really dark...However based on your reference to Pieper, I would say you mean Nicholas Pieper, and you might be looking at a Steyr 1909. I will look more into it when I get home and can get to my references. I will give you a value as well once I can confirm.

The Steyr 1909 is really similar, but the barrel still breaks open and the rear sight set up if very different. Clearly part of the same family though.

Jul 1, 2012
    Looks to be a model 1907, per this great source of information on vest pocket pistols:

http://www.vestpockets.bauli.at

Select "Archive" from the list at the upper left, then search for Pieper.

Bryan

Great link - thanks! added to my reference bookmarks :)

BTW - a private (?) handgun registration for 1919 in Germany would probably be a pretty rare thing given the times. Worth checking into it further. people go ape over this kind of provenance.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Great link - thanks! added to my reference bookmarks :)

BTW - a private (?) handgun registration for 1919 in Germany would probably be a pretty rare thing given the times. Worth checking into it further. people go ape over this kind of provenance.

We looked into and spent probably an hour translating it. So apparently in 1919 all guns we prohibited, but somehow this guy got a permit. It appears its only to keep in his house and was issued by local authorities. We think we even found his grave on a European ancestry.com-esque website. Pretty cool.

EDIT: Also, the box that the whole package came in had "Hamburg - 1936" written on it in pencil. Im thinking whoever brought it here to the US bought it off the family of Georg Hagemeyer once he died in 1929, and then labeled the box when he left Nazi Germany.

Jul 1, 2012
    We looked into and spent probably an hour translating it. So apparently in 1919 all guns we prohibited, but somehow this guy got a permit. It appears its only to keep in his house and was issued by local authorities. We think we even found his grave on a European ancestry.com-esque website. Pretty cool.

Yes, that is truly awesome! Maybe he was "somebody" to be able to finesse that permit.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I love the coin purse.... great fashion accessory.

Yes, that is truly awesome! Maybe he was "somebody" to be able to finesse that permit.

I've got a strong suspicion that it was carried by the wife of "somebody," based upon the style. What a great ruse. Can you imagine someone holding up a woman, demanding her money, and she lifts just the top of that purse out of a larger handbag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom