• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Hmmm, great idea with the pellets. A few bags of pellets, if they work, could be great for emergency stove duty. The instructions say "any biomass fuel"... I will try it ASAP.

a baggie of pellets can also be saved pretty easily as a dry tinder, something that will burn good and hot to dry out more fuel

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I am naive to this technology and haven't taken the time to read on it, but could this be expanded and used to power a small home or to charge a bank of batteries in the winter when solar is not as effective?

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I'm having a heck of a time finding wood pellets "out of season". Anyone know where I could snag some?

Tractor supply, or bout any feed store.

Look for pine STALL BEDDING. It is basically compressed pine sawdust pellets.

Mixed reviews on if it is safe to use in a pellet stove (hopper issues) but you will be fine to use as a tinder.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I am naive to this technology and haven't taken the time to read on it, but could this be expanded and used to power a small home or to charge a bank of batteries in the winter when solar is not as effective?

Without being technical, the answer would be no. Way too small to charge anything bigger than a cell phone, kindle or small apparatus.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH

Theoretically yes, but you would need to daisy chain hundreds of them together for that effect.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I have been using one of these for a while now. I also use the Powerpot, the original Version V if I remember correctly. As the Powerpot has a higher output I use that to charge my devices and use the BioLite to run a simple USB light to cook with and light my campsite.

The powerpot charges my GPS, Tikka headlamp, iphone and two high cap LiON batteries I use for when I don't have the pot running. The LiON batts are great for running a Goal Zero USB light. Did a winter primitive cabin trip in Jan and used this system to light the cabin and the powerpot for recharging for four days. I used the wood stove and a isobutane stove to run the pot.

A nice combo. The Biolite is a bit heavy for any type of extended hike though. Splitting the stove up into the two pieces is doable but still heavy considering a simple isobutane stove can be had for about $8 and a refilled isobutane cartridge can be refilled for about $.50 the iso system is hard to beat in all but the coldest weather.

I have always wondered about using the Biolite in places where fires are not permitted. I know it's a 'stove' but it can (and does) spit out embers when adding fuel or stirring it up a bit so that is a concern as well. But it certainly does work and works well.

For a starter I have started using the Instafire stuff you find on ebay. You can often find a huge bucket (splitting the order with friends) for cheap as they are factory seconds but burn just fine. Yugster had them a few months ago in the original packets cheap too. 60 pouches (only need about 1/4 pouch to start the stove so I repackage it) for $40.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

the technology right now is basically repurposing a computer component. its a small cpu cooler. give it usb equivalent voltage and it cools your cpu. someone discovered that if you heat them they work in reverse, producing usb equivalent voltage.

they are cheap and mass produced, but mostly only for cpu cooling.

the power pot comes in several sizes, and basically just contain more exchangers in the larger sizes. theoretically you could make a large woodstove sized "power plate" and power some very conservative led lighting.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I just ordered one for a camp trip in a few weeks. I didnt get the grill. Im gonna play with it a little using just some regular pans I have before I decide on the grill attachment. If I decide to get the grill Ill rush up to Bass Pro and snatch one before the trip..

I hope I didnt just blow a bunch of money for a fancy hot dog griller lol. I really like the fact that you can actually cook stuff with just twigs basically and it just looks really convenient and easy. I really could care less about the cell phone charging capability because the thing is too big to really backpack with so anywhere I take it I will have my Jeep and my phone charger. I like to just leave my phone packed away and off the entire time anyways..

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I just punked and cancelled my order on Amazon. I really want to try one out and see if its really as great as its said to be. I can hardly find a negative review I just feel like I need to see it in use before I spend that much. My biggest fear is that I will buy it and then end up just using the pots and pans over the camp fire the whole time anyways, or that it really wont be much use to prepare food for more than two. I really do like that bundle though that is tempting.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Its cool, I have seen a YT video on it by someone, cant remember who. I think its a bit pricey...maybe Im wrong.

Besides...your phone doesnt get service in the woods. You should be carrying a hand held.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Besides...your phone doesnt get service in the woods. You should be carrying a hand held.

Ive read mixed reviews on how well that feature even works.. I would rather have one without that to be honest I have absolutely no interest in charging my Iphone in the woods. I just think it looks like a fun little stove. I wish I could take one for a test drive before spending the money on it.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Just received am email from Biolite about the new KettleCharge. Seems to be along the line of the Power Pot. 10W of power is nothing to sneeze at:

http://www.biolitestove.com/products/kettlecharge/

BioLite-KettleCharge-05.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom