• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMHO, as told by MSP previously, you can do ANYTHING YOU WANT with a weapon purchased prior to Oct 1st!!! I've stated this before.

Got that in writing???????

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Except that currently MSP has told the BATFE that NO semi auto centerfire SBR can be made out of ANY lower, that is less than 29" long. Doesn't matter pre-Oct 1 lower or post-Oct 1 lower.

So ALL Form 1s and Form 4s for semi auto centerfire SBRs MUST be over 29" or they will be disapproved by BATFE. Check the threads in the NFA section.

Welp! Don't care again. I have all four of my Tax stamps in hand. Got'em in July, so don't care who does what. All mine are legit, legal, okeydokey, over and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Too many variables. MSP has stated in writing to the ATF what the rules are. All my weapons are on point, INCLUDING my SBR's, all four of them, so your worries, are not my concern.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Except that currently MSP has told the BATFE that NO semi auto centerfire SBR can be made out of ANY lower, that is less than 29" long. Doesn't matter pre-Oct 1 lower or post-Oct 1 lower.

So ALL Form 1s and Form 4s for semi auto centerfire SBRs MUST be over 29" or they will be disapproved by BATFE. Check the threads in the NFA section.

I stand corrected, but the remainder of my statement is still true. Either way no one on these forums knows what you can do pre 10/1 as it relates to AR15 rifle builds. The main question that needs to be asked is what is considered manufacturing. Is merely switching a lower manufacturing? Being that the lower is the firearm I think not, but that is merely opinion on my part. I would suggest that when some one poses a question on this topic people respond: Ask MSP, no one knows, your guess is as good as mine, or even we are still trying to figure that one out. But giving an answer one way or another on this topic is probably not the best idea and will lead to hundreds of pages of debate, what ifs, and are you willing to bet your freedom comments. That is all..............

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Welp! Don't care again. I have all four of my Tax stamps in hand. Got'em in July, so don't care who does what. All mine are legit, legal, okeydokey, over and out.

Yeap. great attitude, screw the rest of you, I got mine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I stand corrected, but the remainder of my statement is still true. Either way no one on these forums knows what you can do pre 10/1 as it relates to AR15 rifle builds. The main question that needs to be asked is what is considered manufacturing. Is merely switching a lower manufacturing? Being that the lower is the firearm I think not, but that is merely opinion on my part. I would suggest that when some one poses a question on this topic people respond: Ask MSP, no one knows, your guess is as good as mine, or even we are still trying to figure that one out. But giving an answer one way or another on this topic is probably not the best idea and will lead to hundreds of pages of debate, what ifs, and are you willing to bet your freedom comments. That is all..............

The point is, MSP is treating putting together a firearm as manufacturing it at that point. So, since we are post-ban, putting together a banned configuration is not kosher.

But you are free to do whatever you are comfortable with. And it is unlikely it will ever come up. But if it does, and you get hammered, we told you so.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Their stand on SBRs. Any SBR that is made now, has to be a minimum of 29" long to comply with the copycat requirements.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Their stand on SBRs. Any SBR that is made now, has to be a minimum of 29" long to comply with the copycat requirements.

SBRs are considered pistols therefor have to be on the roster. SBR barrels don't have to be HBARs (correct?) all things are not created equal with these two. So I wouldn't use that as the tell all be all, since this is not an apples to apples comparison. As said I know this to be speculation and conjure until MSP gives an opinion. I just wish folks would just come out and just say they don't know, and stop warning people of something that they're not even sure about. :sad20:

When you get a link I am here....................

Feb 28, 2013
    SBRs are considered pistols therefor have to be on the roster. SBR barrels don't have to be HBARs (correct?) all things are not created equal with these two. So I wouldn't use that as the tell all be all, since this is not an apples to apples comparison. As said I know this to be speculation and conjure until MSP gives an opinion. I just wish folks would just come out and just say they don't know, and stop warning people of something that they're not even sure about. :sad20:

That opinion may not arrive at least until after the election, when the MSP finds out who's bidding they will be doing next. :sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Actually MSP is considering them rifles for the purpose of the copycat rule (only applies to centerfire, semi auto RIFLES), and handguns for sale (have to be on roster).

Originally MSP told BATFE to allow pre-Oct 1 lowers to be made into any length SBR, but changed that to any new SBRs must be at least 29" long. So this is entirely consistent considering building out a lower to be manufacturing the rifle on THAT date, not the date when the lower was purchased.

As always, do what YOU feel comfortable with. But do not be surprised if MSP decides that the rifle you built in 2014 or later is illegal, no matter when the lower was purchased.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And if Frosh is AG, figure on the wosrt (for us) possible interpretations.

At that point, it will require a law suit and a win to get things straight.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And if the MSP can say a legally possessed pre Oct 1 lower made into a banned configuration ( SBR < 29" in OAL) after 10-1, what's stopping them from also saying a legally possessed pre 10-1 lower with an HBAR upper and then made into a now banned M4 configuration after 10-1 is also not illegal? Not probable I'd agree but....

Call me a skeptic, but as stated, do what you like.

Feb 28, 2013
    And if the MSP can say a legally possessed pre Oct 1 lower made into a banned configuration ( SBR < 29" in OAL) after 10-1, what's stopping them from also saying a legally possessed pre 10-1 lower with an HBAR upper and then made into a now banned M4 configuration after 10-1 is also not illegal? Not probable I'd agree but....

Call me a skeptic, but as stated, do what you like.

Well, the issue there would have been the one with the HBAR upper wouldn't have been sold as regulated, while a rifle with an M4 barrel would have been.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well some have posted that putting an M4 upper on an HBAR lower after 10-1 is ok. I don't know. But the pre 10-1 lower you possessed couldn't be made into a copycat configuration after 10-1 according to MSP's ruling on SBR's. . So is MSP saying the legally possessed lower is only part of the firearm? I see the wisdom of some guys saying this and assembling a complete banned firearm prior to 10-1. The thing then gets grandfathered because it was legally complete and possessed before 10-1?

I know this is semantics but this is what happens when laws that are poorly written and rushed into legislation are allowed.

Obviously you should do what is comfortable for you.

Bottom line is just because you own a pre Oct 1, lower doesn't mean it can be built into a now banned configuration, at least the way I'm reading MSP's guidance on SBR's. They're now apply the copycat OAL rule to all lowers, regardless of purchase date. BATFE even kicked back my Form 4 ona 30" SBR from a lower I purchased June 2013. They wanted a purchase receipt.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well some have posted that putting an M4 upper on an HBAR lower after 10-1 is ok. I don't know. But the pre 10-1 lower you possessed couldn't be made into a copycat configuration after 10-1 according to MSP's ruling on SBR's. . So is MSP saying the legally possessed lower is only part of the firearm? I see the wisdom of some guys saying this and assembling a complete banned firearm prior to 10-1. The thing then gets grandfathered because it was legally complete and possessed before 10-1?

I know this is semantics but this is what happens when laws that are poorly written and rushed into legislation are allowed.

Obviously you should do what is comfortable for you.

Bottom line is just because you own a pre Oct 1, lower doesn't mean it can be built into a now banned configuration, at least the way I'm reading MSP's guidance on SBR's. They're now apply the copycat OAL rule to all lowers, regardless of purchase date. BATFE even kicked back my Form 4 ona 30" SBR from a lower I purchased June 2013. They wanted a purchase receipt.

I agree with this position.

But, up to the individual how they want to do things. I will send cookies to them in prison, if required. :)

ARRobert

Nov 16, 2014
    I have looked through this entire thread and no one has really asked about AR modifications that might make them legal? For example, if you take a banned AR15, remove the gas system, and cover the gas port, the gun is no longer semiauto. It could be charged manually like a bolt action. Does that make it legal or is it still a banned AR15 based on the lower? How permanent would the modifications need to be? Thoughts?
    R

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have looked through this entire thread and no one has really asked about AR modifications that might make them legal? For example, if you take a banned AR15, remove the gas system, and cover the gas port, the gun is no longer semiauto. It could be charged manually like a bolt action. Does that make it legal or is it still a banned AR15 based on the lower? How permanent would the modifications need to be? Thoughts?
    R

Still banned based on the lower if it was not originally sold as HBAR or pistol

There is no way to un-ban a lower in MD ... sell out of state or pass by inheritance

ARRobert

Nov 16, 2014
    It was originally sold as a stripped lower post 10/1. (i.e. it did not have a barrel profile specified.) What if it has an HBAR installed on the upper now? Seems to me like that should be legal unless I missed something.
    R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom