• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    So does this mean that anyone under the age of 21 can't go to a range to rent a handgun?

Also, how does this affect inbound military members since there is no legal requirement for military on orders to MD to apply for residency? How does that work with the requirement to get all firearms registered with MSP?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Yes, you are exempt from the training requirement because you own the above mentioned regulated firearms. There are a lot of folks in the same situation that have regulated firearms pre 1994.

I don't think MSP or the administration has figured out how to deal with these and C&R out of state purchases.

My point exactly...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So does this mean that anyone under the age of 21 can't go to a range to rent a handgun?

I believe that even today, you can't rent a handgun at a range unless you are 21. If there are ranges that are renting to under 21, then no, an HQL is not required to rent a firearm at the range. An HQL is needed to rent a firearm and take it from the property.

Also, how does this affect inbound military members since there is no legal requirement for military on orders to MD to apply for residency? How does that work with the requirement to get all firearms registered with MSP?

The says 90 days after establishing residency. If you are not establishing residency (i.e. military, Govt contractor, etc) there is no need to register your firearms.

Both of the above have been answered many times since early April.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Care to elaborate?

Do you mean "no longer available", or "no longer valid (if taken pre-10/1)"???

Actually... now that I think about it, it's likely both (unless you've used that training to purchase a regulated firearm).

No longer valid post 10/1.

You are correct. To have used that to purchase a regulated firearm, so that one is excempted from the training portion of the HQL.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    Can we acquire our Fingerprints so that when a HQL application appears we can have our ducks in a row. I am currently exempt from the training requirement so I don't need to jump through that hoop. I would like to jump through as many so that as close to Oct 1st as the MSP will allow I can continue to purchase and receive my property.

Thanks in advance.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Can we acquire our Fingerprints so that when a HQL application appears we can have our ducks in a row. I am currently exempt from the training requirement so I don't need to jump through that hoop. I would like to jump through as many so that as close to Oct 1st as the MSP will allow I can continue to purchase and receive my property.

Thanks in advance.

And forward it to who? Electronic FP has an expiration date..

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

My guess is that this will not be allowed. It is my understanding that for the permits that the MSP currently issues, for private detectives, carry permits for security guards, and so forth, the application and the electronic permits must be submitted in very close proximity to each other -- five days, or something like that.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Now MVA will be able to confirm someone is a handgun owner?? That shouldn't be a problem, right??!!

Not necessarily, if MSP just copies it from their server. Plus it's for a license and doesn't indicate if somebody owns a handgun or not. Many people will get the HQL just because they can, with no intention of buying handguns.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My guess is that this will not be allowed. It is my understanding that for the permits that the MSP currently issues, for private detectives, carry permits for security guards, and so forth, the application and the electronic permits must be submitted in very close proximity to each other -- five days, or something like that.

I think it was changed from 72 hours to 30 days IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom