remington 700 bolt closing problem.. any advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    I just bought a used remington 700 ss .223 and took it out to Cresap to fire it today. I got off about 8 shots with no problem and then the bolt wouldn't move all the way forward and rotate closed. I was using factory Federal .223 55gr ammo. I felt resistance to pushing the bolt further forward like the ejector or extractor maybe was catching?? Also the cartridge was pushed into the chamber. When it did shoot, it extracted just fine. I took the bolt out and pushed on the ejector a little and then put it in again. Then I was able to fire 1 shot and the problem happened once again. Any ideas? I haven't dissassemble the bolt yet nor called remington. Thanks

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Check your front action screw. Loosen it a little and see if you are still getting the same drag. Also, if you have a scope on it, check the front base screws and make sure they aren't too long and touching the bolt lug. Finally, make sure you aren't shooting someones reloads. If this is factory ammo then it's likely the gun, but if it's a reload and has only been neck sized it may be fire formed to someone else's chamber (OR, if it is a reload from that particular rifle the shoulders may need to be bumped back a little). Finally, is this steel cased ammo?

If none of the above seem to be the culprit, you may have a bolt that wasn't original to the gun (a replacement or accidentally swapped bolt). Run, don't walk to a gunsmith to have headspace checked.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I had a used 7MM that had the same problem .The end of the extractor was bent sticking out from under the rim and not letting the round seat all the way in the bolt face .

machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    I'll check the screws when I can time for it. The ammo was brass cased factory loaded 223 from Federal which shot fine in my mini 14. None of the spent casings from the 700 looked deformed or beat up (not sure if this info helps).

WildWiz

Jan 3, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I had the same/similar problem with my new Remingtom 700 .223. I lived with the problem for some time. Finally I called Remington Customer Service & they advised me to send it in. they even paid shipping both ways. When it was returned it was great, smooth as silk. Problem solved.

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    The only thing I'd add is to clean the chamber good. We had a 700 in the shop awhile back that had a similar problem (it was a 300WM) and we cleaned it good and polished the chamber and it was fine afterwards.

machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    Well the rifle came back from Remington today. They finished reamed the chamber and installed a new firing pin- all for free. I guess I'll find out this weekend how it functions now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom