• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I can not enter due to the fact that I am a Distinguished Rifleman, a High Master ranked rifle shooter and have been shooting competitions for decades. And here I thought being a professional shooter meant that you got paid to do it.:sad20:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Local Qualifying Rules
    At the local qualifying level, all shooters will use .22 caliber firearms (.22 long rifle ammunition only) and will choose to use handgun, rifle or both at time of registration. Shooters can bring their own firearms (see in depth rules about firearms below). If shooters do not have their own firearms, they may rent or borrow from the local qualifying range facility, if available.
    If a competitor registers for both firearm types, he/she will shoot 2 paper targets for each firearm type.
    Targets for the local level will be made of heavy stock paper.
    The course of fire (for one firearm) shall be completed using two (2) target sheets and will consist of 3 strings on each target sheet. Two (2) target sheets will be provided with registration fee and will be given to the competitor at the local qualifying range that he/she chose during the registration process.
    Target distance shall be 20 feet for handgun and 30 feet for rifle.
    All shooting for the local qualifying level will be standing, unsupported.
    Total rounds fired per target sheet shall be 25. Total rounds fired during the 2-sheet course of fire will be 50. See the image of the target sheet below for reference.
    "String 1": 2 rounds per target, freestyle (10 rounds total)
    "String 2": 1 round per target, freestyle (5 rounds total)
    "String 3": 2 rounds per target, freestyle (10 rounds total)
    Score will be time + penalties. Each of the three (3) strings will be timed separately and recorded on the provided scorecard. After the first 3 strings are complete, Range Master will retrieve target sheet and add up the penalties, which will be added to the score.
    Penalties will be scored as follows:
    Completely within the center area will be a “0” (no penalty assessed).
    Completely within the circular /rings area (stars & stripes) is a 2 second penalty.
    Completely outside of the circular area, but still on the target sheet, will be a 4 second penalty. The letters that spell out “American Marksman” count as outside the ring areas.
    Any round that completely misses the target sheet will be scored as a 6 second penalty.
    Any procedural penalty will be scored as a +6.
    Procedural penalties will be defined as:
    A round that completely misses the target sheet.
    Failure to follow commands or course guidelines.
    Any other instance deemed by Range Officer as worthy of procedural penalty.
    General rule on penalties: If a round leaves an impact point that crosses over two different scoting areas, the penalty assessed will be the lowest (or least harmful to a competitor’s score) available. The range master administering the contest shall have the final say on all penalties.
    Scoring Rules
    The total score on each target sheet will be recorded as follows:
    String 1 time + String 2 time + String 3 time + all penalties
    Maximum Time: Each competitor must finish the 3-string course within 3 minutes. Additional target sheets will not be provided unless competitor registers again on www.AmMarksman.com and provides confirmation to Range Master.
    After the competitor has completed the first 3-string course, the second target will be affixed and the process will begin anew.
    Range Master will manually enter scores on to an official American Marksman scoresheet while the contest is underway. After both courses (2 target sheets) have been completed and scored, the Range Master will enter both scores into the American Marksman website for upload to the leaderboards.
    After both target sheets have been completed, the range master and competitor will review the results and the range master will explain his/her scoring decisions. If both parties are in agreement, range master and competitor will initial the score sheet and fill in the date. Once a scoresheet is initialed by both parties, no protest and/or complaint will be heard. Please see below for protest procedure.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wonder what the start position is, low ready maybe, no talk about safety position, where trigger finger is, etc. in any event, doing a match that only requires one box of ammo isn't super exciting for me.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I only copied that small portion of the rules. Click the link and read for yourself. It's at the bottom of the page under "rules"

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I will likely go with a modified bullseye setup for pistol using my iron sight Buckmark but with my TS alloy barrel and the Sightron red dot also off my bullseye setup. Basically my complete bullseye setup minus the heavy steel barrel because it looks like speed counts. As for rifle not sure if using my speed 10/22 or my silhouette Remington with a lower power scope or red dot on it and a lighter stock. Looks like a red dot with a smaller dot than for steel would be a good setup. I think I have some targets I can setup at the farm that are similar enough to practice on.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I will likely go with a modified bullseye setup for pistol using my iron sight Buckmark but with my TS alloy barrel and the Sightron red dot also off my bullseye setup. Basically my complete bullseye setup minus the heavy steel barrel because it looks like speed counts. As for rifle not sure if using my speed 10/22 or my silhouette Remington with a lower power scope or red dot on it and a lighter stock. Looks like a red dot with a smaller dot than for steel would be a good setup. I think I have some targets I can setup at the farm that are similar enough to practice on.

I don't think they are allowing aftermarket barrels, stocks, triggers etc. Its elsewhere in the rules ... as mfgr'd in series runs of 1,000+

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You are correct. To use a lightweight .22 pistol you will need to use either a Browning Buckmark Lite or a Ruger 22/45 Lite. Just happens my team mate Mike's significant other has a Buckmark Splash Lite. I can come up with a legal pistol if I use my steel Browning barrel on one of my Buckmarks. Looks like since the divisions are Open you could use any red dot or scope as long as the rail it was mounted on is from the same company as the gun itself. Not sure why they call it Men's and Women's Open as a division named Open generally means you pretty much have free rein on what you use.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I doubt that is the case since M. Bane was a founder of IDPA and some other shooting disciplines also. I am guessing, but have not ask him, that likely they are trying to level the playing field so that "race gun 22s" are not in the mix. Possible the VQ Superlite rifle might have been made in enough quantities to be legal. Not sure about the TacSol X-Ring rifle. All of my 22 rifles are a mix of parts so I don't know which one would be cheapest to bring back to an all Ruger configuration.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I could do the rifle by adding a Ruger stock to my iron sight rifle plus a rail. That would be cheaper than buying a VQ Superlite receiver and one of their thumbhole stock to make a pure VQ rifle (Used 10/22 stock and rail($80) verses the VQ parts ($600). And besides I think they supply the firearms above the local level.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I can not enter due to the fact that I am a Distinguished Rifleman, a High Master ranked rifle shooter and have been shooting competitions for decades. And here I thought being a professional shooter meant that you got paid to do it.:sad20:

Don't we wish. I'd settle for having my travel expenses paid for the major shoots.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The reason why there are pro shooters and also why a good number drop out is because you have to go to the matches and shows they want you to go to. Some with families often find they can't do both. I know a few that dropped out of being anything other than self sponsored for family reasons. Shooting professionally is like most any other pro sport except there is little or no offseason. Even if all you get is match fees paid you have to go around promoting the sponsor and his products. And you need to shoot at a competitive level unless its more for product exposure only in which case you won't be getting a lot. Many pro shooters gravitate to self sponsorship where they have a shooting related business of their own based on products, services, and/or training. That way they can better fit the needs of shooting and family life. Not everyone is like Jerry where the entire family are professional shooters.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I am definitely going to give this a try. ..will be giving the local range a call soon to figure out when the qualifying dates are..will probably be doing both rifle and pistol..

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Looking over the rules, I find it interesting that they do NOT want people who actually have top-tier results in the shooting sports.

Sad, really...you could put a good show together with top-flight competitors from a range of disciplines and let them shoot for an aggregate score. With the shooter who is an expert as host for that episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom