• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Any opinions on those recoil reducing butt-stocks?

They're crap.

As for this debate it really depends on your budget. If you simply can't afford a semi-auto a pump will work fine. However pumps typically offer up more capacity as some semi-auto shotguns' gas systems take up real estate forward of the mag tube to operate the gun. But semi-autos for general utility are great.

I am joensing for one... and I hope to make it my GP shotgun... I'm getting a Benelli M4 at some point and throwing on the Carrier Comp 6-rd mag tube on it, maybe a Surefire tri-rail on it. The Marines use it, that's an endorsement in and of itself. :thumbsup:

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    Back when I shot some IPSC some 20-25 years ago, I won more than one bet and more than one $20 bill shooting an 870 faster than the autos of the day (including the then new Benelli). Speeds were measured on a PACT timer for three shots. By all means, let's not fool ourselves about this topic. No, I don't want to see some you-tube stuff about a pos Russian abortion that some people call a shotgun. LOL

"The pos russian abortion that some people call a shotgun" actually made me chuckle. Guess you arent a saiga fan. I think that they are a great platform

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    If i could only own one it would have to be a pump

price,capacity, feeding issues............. would be some of my reasons

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    "The pos russian abortion that some people call a shotgun" actually made me chuckle. Guess you arent a saiga fan. I think that they are a great platform

That gave me a good laugh as well, but i do agree. I have never been impressed with the saiga shotguns. It just seems like if you are trying to go "tacticool" there are better options. Dressing a shotgun up to look like THE black rifle or an AK and giving it a detachable mag doesnt make it one.

Love the reliabilty and ease of use of the pump shotguns. Hell, even the wife i trust knows how to operate it. Semi's, not so much!

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    That gave me a good laugh as well, but i do agree. I have never been impressed with the saiga shotguns. It just seems like if you are trying to go "tacticool" there are better options. Dressing a shotgun up to look like THE black rifle or an AK and giving it a detachable mag doesnt make it one.

Love the reliabilty and ease of use of the pump shotguns. Hell, even the wife i trust knows how to operate it. Semi's, not so much!

I like the fact that it is mag fed. I guess some may call mine "tacticool" even though i never build a gun with looks being a high priority. I prefer function. I run an vltor tube and stock on mine because it gives me flexibility with lop. It has a rail system on it because it allows me way more optic options. Out of all of my ar's, ak's and shottys its the only one with a rail. If people think that i am trying to be tacticool with it then so be it. It has been completely reliable with bulk fed target to 3". Not to mention its just plain fun to shoot. More fun than my 870p and 590a1. I would never sell any of them because they all have their roles.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009

????

Attachments

• shotgun.jpg
      shotgun.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 108

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    pump, keep it old skool. besides ain't nothing quite like racking one in at 2 am when you hear a bump in the night the pyschological factor is stage one in the house search.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    I like the fact that it is mag fed. I guess some may call mine "tacticool" even though i never build a gun with looks being a high priority. I prefer function. I run an vltor tube and stock on mine because it gives me flexibility with lop. It has a rail system on it because it allows me way more optic options. Out of all of my ar's, ak's and shottys its the only one with a rail. If people think that i am trying to be tacticool with it then so be it. It has been completely reliable with bulk fed target to 3". Not to mention its just plain fun to shoot. More fun than my 870p and 590a1. I would never sell any of them because they all have their roles.

To each his own, i guess i just would question the viability of a saiga as a general purpose shotgun from the original post. Do they make rifled slug barrels for the saiga? If i wanted a general purpose i would certinly want the ability to change out the barrel quickly between rifled, smooth, and choked.

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    To each his own, i guess i just would question the viability of a saiga as a general purpose shotgun from the original post. Do they make rifled slug barrels for the saiga? If i wanted a general purpose i would certinly want the ability to change out the barrel quickly between rifled, smooth, and choked.

Yeah, to each his own. Its great that i dont have to use what someone else thinks is the best for me. I am at liberty to decide that. Anyhow, TS mentioned the saiga, not me. I just gave my opinion. I have zero use for a rifled shotgun bbl so for my "general use" a saiga would fit the bill. I personally dont have all around "general" firearm though. I have shotty's for skeet and sporting clays, home defense, and some just because i like shooting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom