• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    So, what's a decent rifle $250 or less for backyard pest control? I'd prefer to avoid springers and PCPs and I'd like it reasonably quiet. .177 or .22 caliber. I prefer standard stocks to the skeltonized semi-thumbhole types. Academy, Cabela's and Dick's are all local so anything they carry is a bonus.

I am under no illusions that this rifle will work against the larger (coyote) or armored (armadillo) type pests. Mostly I want it for birds, groundhogs and maybe raccoons.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a Benjamin Nitro piston.22 cal that puts out 950fps and is relatively quiet. It came with a scope also. Under $150 at WM when I got it. Downside for you is that i has a synthetic thumbhole stock. A good sized WM will have many air rifles at much better prices than Dicks, and a better selection in my area.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Get a Mosin Nagant, SBR it down to 10' and add a suppressor. You're good to go out to 1000 yards.

or just get a 10/22 with threaded barrel.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

:lol:

I hope by birds, you mean House Sparrows and Starlings.

This is my boat. Previous owner left me three blue bird boxes on the fence post that backs my property to the neighboring beef cattle farmer. He did me no favors with the construction (used GD FINISHING NAILS on the build!!! FINISHING NAILS). I don't have a good way to open them up and clean them out. They are on the list to rebuild. Maybe sooner than later if I have a chance at getting some birds in them for the second brood of the season.

My usual go to for wacking sparrows is 20 ga, full choke & #7.5...no such option here. (From the days of living with my parents, where it was completely safe to do so, this was our preferred method). I have too much concern for the neighboring cattle (and keeping the farmer happy).

After watching said sparrows drive off a pair of tree swallows, I am a feared the blue bird pair is next. If that happens, I'm going to be PISSED (I already am).

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm looking at this right now.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-trail-np2-synthetic-22

Distance is 50 to 70 yards from my back deck to general target area. The wind does rip from time to time. I don't need to put a lot of money into this, but I want something that will get the job done.

Biggest thing to me would be trigger, and if I need to add my own optic and keep the whole package under $275, I would like that (A LOT!).

HELP!

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    :lol:

This is my boat. Previous owner left me three blue bird boxes on the fence post that backs my property to the neighboring beef cattle farmer. He did me no favors with the construction (used GD FINISHING NAILS on the build!!! FINISHING NAILS). I don't have a good way to open them up and clean them out. They are on the list to rebuild. Maybe sooner than later if I have a chance at getting some birds in them for the second brood of the season.

My usual go to for wacking sparrows is 20 ga, full choke & #7.5...no such option here. (From the days of living with my parents, where it was completely safe to do so, this was our preferred method). I have too much concern for the neighboring cattle (and keeping the farmer happy).

After watching said sparrows drive off a pair of tree swallows, I am a feared the blue bird pair is next. If that happens, I'm going to be PISSED (I already am).

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm looking at this right now.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-trail-np2-synthetic-22

Distance is 50 to 70 yards from my back deck to general target area. The wind does rip from time to time. I don't need to put a lot of money into this, but I want something that will get the job done.

Biggest thing to me would be trigger, and if I need to add my own optic and keep the whole package under $275, I would like that (A LOT!).

HELP!

Get this trigger for the nitro Benjamin you won't regret it.

http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III Trigger New.htm

Mine clocks out at 690 fps with heavy pellets. It packs a wallop.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Get this trigger for the nitro Benjamin you won't regret it.

http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III Trigger New.htm

Mine clocks out at 690 fps with heavy pellets. It packs a wallop.

I like the charliedatuna trigger in my Crosman Phantom

Thanks guys. I wish the package didn't have the scope as I'd like to go with a mil-dot or mil-hash for windage / holdover.

I'm not looking to make this a sport, I'm looking for competitive advantage.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Thanks guys. I wish the package didn't have the scope as I'd like to go with a mil-dot or mil-hash for windage / holdover.

I'm not looking to make this a sport, I'm looking for competitive advantage.
    My nitro trail came with a mil dot. Of course you can't get much scope for 35 bucks. I bet that is what they paid for it. It works though.

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Bolts Rock and Bigfoot44 had a good question.

Original question:
    So, what's a decent rifle $250 or less for backyard pest control? I'd prefer to avoid springers and PCPs and I'd like it reasonably quiet. .177 or .22 caliber.

Are all the rifles mentioned above all neighborhood noise makers? The ones mentioned subsonic or sonic? Obviously the higher the velocity the louder the crack...

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I like springers. They are not too loud IMO, and they will carry more energy than a Benjamin Sheridan 39X. I have a 39X with a williams peep and it is very nice, but to kill something I would use my diana 034. The 034 is not expensive at the depot or pyramid. I also much prefer leaving the airguns sighted rather than scoped. You can do close work much easier with open sights than with a scope. For a longer range shot or something a little larger, quiets or shorts are a very good idea. For close shots I use an open sighted 39a with 24 inch barrel and standard velocity shorts, anything out past 25 yards I use a scoped brno model 1 24 inch barrel with standard velocity lr.

But if I was picking just one rifle it would be a cz ultra lux, peep sighted with your choice of standard velocity ammo. It will carry more energy, be just as quiet with the right ammo choice as most AGs , and extremely accurate out to 50 yards or so even with so so eyesight, plus you can do close work with it because you don't have the offset of the scope to deal with.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I like springers. They are not too loud IMO, and they will carry more energy than a Benjamin Sheridan 39X. I have a 39X with a williams peep and it is very nice, but to kill something I would use my diana 034. The 034 is not expensive at the depot or pyramid. I also much prefer leaving the airguns sighted rather than scoped. You can do close work much easier with open sights than with a scope. For a longer range shot or something a little larger, quiets or shorts are a very good idea. For close shots I use an open sighted 39a with 24 inch barrel and standard velocity shorts, anything out past 25 yards I use a scoped brno model 1 24 inch barrel with standard velocity lr.

But if I was picking just one rifle it would be a cz ultra lux, peep sighted with your choice of standard velocity ammo. It will carry more energy, be just as quiet with the right ammo choice as most AGs , and extremely accurate out to 50 yards or so even with so so eyesight, plus you can do close work with it because you don't have the offset of the scope to deal with.

I like your style. Especially the CZ UL. Oops, read right past the BNO 1, you have excellent taste.

Last edited:

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    If you do purchase a Benjamin Nitro Piston, I have an extra bearing for the trigger fix, it takes 5 minutes to do the fix. They are decent rifles for the price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom