• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noroar1

Jul 20, 2013
    Hi, long time reader and big fan of the forum. I've always being able to find answers on the forum without actually having to post a question myself until now. Purchase a couple of new lowers a week ago and was wondering if I can SBR them? I do have lowers I bought pre Oct 1st and I know for sure you can SBR those, but what about the ones you can purchase now? Can they be registered as SBRs? I'm getting different answers from a couple different people so your help is appreciated.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Hi, long time reader and big fan of the forum. I've always being able to find answers on the forum without actually having to post a question myself until now. Purchase a couple of new lowers a week ago and was wondering if I can SBR them? I do have lowers I bought pre Oct 1st and I know for sure you can SBR those, but what about the ones you can purchase now? Can they be registered as SBRs? I'm getting different answers from a couple different people so your help is appreciated.

i'm not the AR savant but with stripped lowers via msp 77r you can only build them hbar or pistol period.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, when I measured my rifles, a 10.3" just makes it.

But it doesn't matter when you bought the lower, the overall length has to be over 29".

This is what MSP told BATFE, and that is what they are going by.

Engage sent a letter questioning the ruling, as MD law says SBRs are pistols, NOT rifles. And the 29" requirement is for a copy cat RIFLE.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    A 10 inch barrel would probably put you just under 29" I have a 10.3 and OAL is 29.1"

very close

All depends on what stock is used. You always have the option of the Vltor A5 tube which extends the stock even further if you need it. There is also the option of pinning and welding the muzzle device.

In my case, a Noveske 10.5" barrel combined with a B5 Bravo stock is exactly 29.5" on the dot. If the same components were used, and the barrel was truely 10", than a 29" oal is very possible.

*EDIT*
    I just measured two different stocks on my 10.3" DD MK18 upper SBR to see the difference they make in overall length. The B5 Bravo stock got to 29.3". The Magpul STR w/ enhanced butt pad got me to 29.5". I didn't bother measuring with a CTR since I know it will be slightly shorter than the STR. I imagine the B5 SOPMOD and Magpul ACS would get you even longer OAL's. Getting a 10" barrel to have a 29" OAL is very possible.

That's all playing by the rules. The law say you measure from the tip of the bare muzzle to the end of the stock when completely extended. It doesn't say what stock or how long the stock can be.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    MD doesn’t require HBAR profiles for SBRs.

That’s still only needed when building a post-10/1 AR lower into a 5.56 Title I long gun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SBRs can't be ALGs.

SBRs can be copycat weapons. Maybe this will change, depending on the response to Engage's letter/lawsuit to the MSP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And of course all of the above is current as of the date of posting , subject to change at any time for either further legal challenges , or MSP randomly making stuff up.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A 10 inch barrel would probably put you just under 29" I have a 10.3 and OAL is 29.1"

very close

Yep. My build with a 10.3" barrel is 29.1 as well. Have to be careful which stock you use, some may put you under 29".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    MD doesn’t require HBAR profiles for SBRs.

That’s still only needed when building a post-10/1 AR lower into a 5.56 Title I long gun.

Maybe needed if building a pre-Oct 1 lower into a rifle NOW.

MSP is basically saying the date of BUILD is what is important, not the date of PURCHASE of the lower.

This is fro their guidance to BATFE that ANY SBR made now, must be over 29" long. No matter when the lower was purchased.

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD

That's all playing by the rules. The law say you measure from the tip of the bare muzzle to the end of the stock when completely extended. It doesn't say what stock or how long the stock can be.

Completely extended or collapsed?

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Maybe needed if building a pre-Oct 1 lower into a rifle NOW.

MSP is basically saying the date of BUILD is what is important, not the date of PURCHASE of the lower.

This is fro their guidance to BATFE that ANY SBR made now, must be over 29" long. No matter when the lower was purchased.

Someone could definitely argue that as a possible outcome (as you said, today, right now). With all the established federal language on making, seems much easier for MD to make that case about Title II than I. Although of course ironically, finally enforcing SBRs as handguns provided the chink that made Engage’s pending SBR argument stronger.

I haven’t seen pre-10/1 Title I lowers being enforced this way (not that I’ve been looking). I’ve seen how non-permanent and arbitrary some of MD’s decisions have been since 10/1 though, so what you’re saying definitely has to be considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom