• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I finally had an opportunity to shoot one of the AR's that I assembled. I bought several lowers before Oct 2013, and have started assembling a couple of them, buying the necessary parts as I find them on sale or a good price. Saturday I was free, weather was nice so I took my first completed rifle to Myrtle Grove along with a Mosin Hex that I haven't shot yet. I am no youngster, have had some exciting times in my life but when I loaded a full magazine into this rifle, sent the bolt home on a live round, aimed at the target and pulled that trigger for the first time, a euphoric feeling came over me. I am surprised I did not yell out in excitement. The rifle did not explode, nor fall apart in my hands. I assembled it by my self, taking time to watch Larry Potterfields and others videos, I took my time ensuring everything went together like it is suppose to. If you are setting on the fence, thinking you can't do it yourself, or why bother when you can buy one, you are missing a lot of fun and that great feeling of doing something yourself. And, total cost of parts including rear folding sight was just under $500 for the first rifle. That is nice, too.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Great feeling !!! I have been doing the same the past few months. Finding the different mating parts can be fun ( this upper. With that rail. And what barrel and comp) it's like build a bear for adults lol.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    It does seem to take me back to childhood. Growing up dirt poor (that means not tv, no car, no telephone, hell no house), I never got an erector set for Christmas. Now I am getting a "do over" on childhood.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Congratulations! See now what you have to do is build more so you get that same high everytime ;)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Congrats on a successful build and firing.

It is a great feeling.

Now I just need to figure out why the recoil spring has more audible twang than Bass Pros' music selection.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I completed my first complete build a few weeks ago and only have one regret. Not doing it sooner.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Congrats and good job.

Will say though for brand new untested rifle I would not load a full 30 rd magazine for the first shot. Usually load just one and test fire, then 3, 10, 30.

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    Congrats on a successful build and firing.

It is a great feeling.

Now I just need to figure out why the recoil spring has more audible twang than Bass Pros' music selection.

Pick yourself up one of these Tubbs flat buffer springs. Well worth the money. No more twang and my gun seems to function smoother but that might just be the lack of the twang.

http://www.davidtubb.com/tubb-springs/ar15-bufferspring

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Congratulations good job! My first build went together well but when I pullthe trigger it failed to eject. After spending money at a gunsmith in charles county, he couldn't figure out why it failed to eject. Took it to Engage and Andy figured out the problem in about 2 minutes. IT was was a bad BCG. I purchased it new, a NIB BCG not cheap.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have a Wife, three Daughters, one Son in Law, two Grandchildren. I have to spend my "allowance" wisely. Could have a fancy cell phone with a camera or, build and shoot AR's and stock up for the upcoming civil war.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Nice job capt . I also like building my own. 3 so far , bout 1 a year. I have one of those fancy cell phones. Only thing there good for is this site and finding more gun parts on sale !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The next logical step is to build an AR with an 80% lower. That is a really satisfying feeling the first time it goes bang and cycles another round. It's fun to do if you like working with machinery and seeing the final product gradually emerge from the effort your own hands put into it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's HEEEEEeeeer.

Can't wait to try it out.

tubbs 001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members