• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have such, for use on AR pistol , using the side mount thingie where the tube screws in, and the origonal front ( non-) swivel .

1. The sling slides over to the narrow side of the (non-) swivel, instead of being on the 1.25in part . Attaching to front sight tower almost seemed an improvement, but in addition to knowing that's not a good idea, the sling randomly slides itself between legs, and sometimes covers the front sight.

2. Even with adjusted to shortest, it was too long. Removing the section with two buckles makes it sorta close, but still has the issue from above.

Am I missing somthing here ? I get the feeling I could do better with plain old school 1.25in nylon webbing and two of those slidey buckle things . What supposed to be the good thing about this tacticool stuff , other than the cool name ?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    You're attaching it at the front to the sling swivel under the front sight post? Am I reading that right? That's not really where and how slings like this shine.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A tactical 2 or 1 point sling isn't intended to be slung over a shoulder like a traditional sling, both carry the rifle in front of you, and are slung over your shoulder, around your back, and under your (usually) weak side arm. A 2 point is better for carrying slung and for support while shooting from a standing position, a single point is better for fast shooting and shooting while moving Magpul designed theirs to do both. You cinch it up, and carry in 2pt while on patrol, loosen it and use it for support to fire at range, then transition to 1pt as you get close, are holding the rifle and need fast transitions and movement. As far as mounts, you can use QD swivels or clips, each with their own adapters.

More a review than a demo or instruction, but this is the idea

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Intended for AR pistol , sling over left shoulder ( rt handed ) , with gun either @ right side , or behind back. Deploy at eye level , with sling tension to steady.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Single point will just flop around , and need to be held anyway. Might as well just carry it.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I think a pic of where you're attaching it up front would help.

On an AR pistol, your only real choice at the back end is where the buffer tube attaches to the receiver. At the front end, attach to the side of the forend/rail. I prefer closer to the receiver.

Then, as a righty, the sling should go over your right shoulder and under your left. But then I exclusively shoot mine two-handed using a cheekweld on the buffer tube.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No rail , factory 1.25in mounting point. Too luddite to post pics, but plain old Colt front sling (non-)swivel .

I'm trying to visualize that over right shoulder, under left thing. So do you then have the muzzle poking up behind right ear, or reversed sticking past left hip ?

The way I was intending , I have seen used in the real world, albeit with 16in bbl, and telestock retracted. The front sling spacing would be the same, and the side mounted sling point on the tube * I would think* should work similar or better to side of telestock. But alas I am still trying to work this out.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Okay, I'm gonna try once more.

It sounds like what you want to do is wear the gun muzzle down on your back and be able to quickly bring/swing it under your right arm and present it out into an aiming position. Is that right?

If that's the case I'm not sure why this sling isn't working for you. I think a sling mount on the left side if your sight tower would work better (a few companies make these), but the sling you have should still work. I've found the quick adjustment pieces on the VTAC and VCAS slings are superior to the Magpul ones, but the Magpul one should still work for you.

Personally, unless I'm marching to go meet the redcoats or am scaling an obstacle or the like, I prefer having a long gun slung in front of me rather than behind me, hence the over the right and under the left shoulders technique that I prefer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Okay, I'm gonna try once more.

It sounds like what you want to do is wear the gun muzzle down on your back and be able to quickly bring/swing it under your right arm and present it out into an aiming position. Is that right?

If that's the case I'm not sure why this sling isn't working for you. I think a sling mount on the left side if your sight tower would work better (a few companies make these), but the sling you have should still work. I've found the quick adjustment pieces on the VTAC and VCAS slings are superior to the Magpul ones, but the Magpul one should still work for you.

Personally, unless I'm marching to go meet the redcoats or am scaling an obstacle or the like, I prefer having a long gun slung in front of me rather than behind me, hence the over the right and under the left shoulders technique that I prefer.

I actually prefer that set-up too. It enables you to toss the rifle over your left shoulder when encountering an obstacle. Once over the obstacle, reach down with the right hand and swing the rifle back to your frontside. The motion is continuous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, as described in #12 . Otherwise to carry in front as a fashion statement, I'd have to grow a neck beard, put back on the 40lb I lost, and start eating at Chipolte . I must have had too much experience with normal rifles in my formative years.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    No, it's a link to PMAC showing how to use a sling. The homepage would just be YouTube.com. If link doesn't work, then do a search on YouTube for Pat McNamara sling.

I'm trying to help, not be a d*ck.

See if this one works, too. If not, search Kyle Defoor sling.

http://youtu.be/6vTK0H_bfR8

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom