• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Votes: 2 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    I'll be the first to give the thumbs up to Scott's Gunsmithing.

I haven't personally bought a gun from them (not yet, at least), but I've been in a few times. Last time was to get scope and rings mounted.

I've seen their interactions with customers and they're fair and definitely willing to help you out as much as you need. The last time I went in, there was another customer in there that would've driven me crazy if I was a business owner. :)

They treated him right and answered all his (to me) annoying questions and requests - and were glad to do it! Something I can't say about most businesses (gun stores or otherwise) in Maryland.

If you haven't been by, I'd definitely recommend you make a point to pay them a visit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSPkid

Sep 24, 2008
    Severna Park
    I'll be the first to give the thumbs up to Scott's Gunsmithing.

I haven't personally bought a gun from them (not yet, at least), but I've been in a few times. Last time was to get scope and rings mounted.

I've seen their interactions with customers and they're fair and definitely willing to help you out as much as you need. The last time I went in, there was another customer in there that would've driven me crazy if I was a business owner. :)

They treated him right and answered all his (to me) annoying questions and requests - and were glad to do it! Something I can't say about most businesses (gun stores or otherwise) in Maryland.

If you haven't been by, I'd definitely recommend you make a point to pay them a visit.

Excellent service!

+1:thumbsup: I bought a gun from them last week and look forward to doing business with them in the future.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Always had good service and good conversation.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I had a old shotgun worked on there last year. It was the middle of hunting season, so it took a while to get it back (not unexpected). But the work was right and a fair price.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Chad's the man...he's did some work on my AK for me

aside from helping me refinish some of it myself, he knows his stuff about what he talks about and is more than willing to help out however he can.

After seeing Chad's pics of his AK underfolder and the work he did to it, I refinished the wood on mine following his instructions, and while that made it look better, it didn't quite feel done....so I had him polish the bolt and carrier and action group, also had him install a new Red Star Arms FCG and tuned it for a very light, very short single stage trigger

His work was OUT-FREAKIN-STANDING....:party29:

I just got it back today, and havent been able to take it to the range yet, but I should have time to break it out by Wednesday, expect a range report then

Oh! I also received my AK IronDot optic in the mail yesterday, so thats on the rifle too....man I really oughta get some pics of this thing :)

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Chad is the man!

He finished the de-banning of my SA-93 and did some trick feed well mods on my 590A1 (quicker reloads with less thumb bustage). He also stamped my serial number of my 590 on the side saddle shell carrier (it covers the s/n).

Thanks again,

JT

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've been dealing with Scott for over 10 years and have always had great service, he is a small guy compared to many but there aren't many real gunsmiths around, they deserve our support if we expect them to be there when we need them.... Many places sell guns, not many can fix or modify them. I've bought a few :innocent0 guns from Scott's and whenever there was a problem he fixed it himself on his own dime instead of going through the wait & ordeal of sending them back to the manufacturer... But yea he's a little old school which IMO is not a bad thing but having Chad around should balance things out some and give you guys some room to grow..... :party29:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I gotta say thank you to Chad and Scott, Chad for answering my questions on his time off through his personal e-mail and especially to Scott, for being willing to fix my 1187 the same day and ESPECIALLY for not making me feel like a complete dumbass for driving 5 hours, round trip to have a gun fixed that wasn't broken. It was worth the trip to get a look at the only gunsmith within reasonable distance to where I live. Seeing some of his work in person was enough to convince me that when I have another project come up, I will not be mailing it off, i'll be driving a couple hours north to Glen Burnie and speaking face to face with the person who is doing the work, you can't put a price on that!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    especially to Scott, for being willing to fix my 1187 the same day and ESPECIALLY for not making me feel like a complete dumbass for driving 5 hours, round trip to have a gun fixed that wasn't broken.

Scott is really good about not taking your money to fix a problem that's not a problem. I have first hand knowledge of this after I installed a Volquartsen kit myself in a Ruger MkII and it just wouldn't run right.

After he busted my balls a bit about how he would have done it right the first time, he explained what I needed to do to correct the problem and sent me on my way.

He could have easily gouged me for an hour's shop time for 5 minutes worth of work but didn't.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I just picked up my 10" Ruger Mark II I had transferred there. I wish I have known of them shop sooner. The service is top notch. I'll definately be back. Thanks Guys!

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    Just wanted to say awesome service. Surprisingly quick turnaround. And couldn't be more happy about how good of a job Chad did with the work. He cut down my front site post, removed stock flash hider, installed a 12 inch free float rail and pinned and welded new flash hider since my barrel is 14.5 inches. The result is a gun that looks better than it did when i bought it. Thanks again guys and you will have my business again.

mosin004.jpg

mosin006.jpg

and what it looked like when i dropped it off
    gun022.jpg

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    First impression

I stopped by Scotts Gunsmithing today for the 1st time after getting some suggestions from Chad on a topic I posted yesterday about a revolver problem (light primer hits). My visit to their shop was time well spent. I learned more about how the revolver works, and what parts shoud be replaced, and other work/adjustments that should be done to make it a good distinguished competition revolver. I appreciate how well Chad understood my problem, especially since it is partially shooter induced.

Nice shop with lots of firearms and accessories, and smart freindly people runnnig it that are easy to connect with. My only regret is that I didn't look around a little more to see if they have more toys and accessories I want; I'll rectify that when I come in to pick up the revolver.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    My vintage ’43 Colt 1911A1 was acting up and on the advice of several trusted members here I took it to Chad.

It was my first visit and I was impressed. The staff was cordial and obviously know their business. It didn’t hurt that two of them are Navy guys like me and worked in the same specialty…small world.

Chad quoted me a very fair price, threw is some extras at no additional charge and turn-a-round was quick. Can’t beat that by any measure.

I’m looking forward to some range time after the weather warms up. As with my other guns I’ll most likely find this one also will outshoot me.

linthicum

Aug 29, 2009
    Heck I'll through my $.02 on this thread also. Scott's is not only a good place for gunsmith work its a good place to buy guns also. One of the first firearms that I purchased from Scott's was one of my first AR's. After shopping around Scott's had the AR I wanted for $25 more than one I found online (after transfer fee's and shipping) so I bought it. I took the rifle to the range to sight it in and was having FTF. Knowing what I know now I could have diagnosis and fixed the problem but like I said "it was my first AR" and I was just learning about them, and heck it was a brand new rifle. So I call Scott and he said bring it in and I will take a look at it. I brought it right in to him and he gave it a once over. Scott said it look like the ears on the mag are a little off. He then went in the back and came out with a factory mag in the wrapper, opened it up and compared. "yep its the mag, here take this one shoot it and if you have any problems bring the rifle to me and I will do everything I can to fix it to keep from having to send it back to the manufacture". Now if I was a tight azz and trying to save $25 on a rifle that cost close to a grand. And bought the online rifle or one from one of the big chains you can imagine the crap I would have went through to get my rifle fixed. From then on I learned "it does matter where you spend your money" and saving a couple dollars does not always pay off. Like Todd v. said If there is a problem, Scott fixes it. To me that worth every cent to keep a shop like that around. From my first experience with Scott's I have since bought many firearms from them and will continue to do so. He also has saved me money on a number of times. Through recommendations, fixing and tweaking what I have instead of replacing. Knowing he could make more money selling and installing a part, Scott chooses to be straight up with you, explain your options and what he can do, then lets you make up your own mind. I can not say enough good thing about my experiences with Scott's. And hope everyone that buys a firearm or has one worked on would have the same.
    Linthicum

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I must toss my 2 cents into the thread as well. I've lived less than 5 miles from Scott's for over 15 years and had never been in the shop until I met Chad through this forum (shame on me).

Although there's not a gunsmith anywhere that can build a career on my personal business, I can say I'm delighted to have now discovered how straightforward and honest Chad, Scott and the rest of the folks I've met there are.

Recently Chad has been helping me with a Turk Mauser that's in dire need of attention. The project is coming along. The action "looks" good, but looks can be deceiving. Thanks to Chad's efforts I know in its present condition the rifle isn't safe to fire. We have some options yet to check out and with Chad's persistence I hope the old rifle can once again be a shooter. But if that isn't to be, I know he's on the same page as me regarding putting good money into something not worth the cost to fix.

It's refreshing to find a young man as knowledgeable, hardworking and honest as Mr. Clandestine. And the man knows a helluva lot more about firearms and gunsmithing than I ever will. I've seen examples of work he's done for others and I know what he's done to help me. And it's pretty cool that he's only a few miles away.

If y'all haven't been to Scott's it'd be worth your time to pay the store a visit and meet the folks. While you're there, please thank Chad again for me. :)

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I had two of my rifles that I wanted the barrels threaded on. I decided I wanted to give my business to someone on this board, so I chose Chad because of the good reviews. I wasn't disapointed with the work. he did a beautiful job on the Saiga and I am very happy with the way it turned out. The Remington also was perfect. Didn't even mar up the camoflage paint scheme. Only complaint was the time it took, but this was over the holiday season, so it can be understood why it took longer.
    Overall it is excellent work and I would recommend him to others. Unfortunately for me, it is nearly a two hour drive up to the shop from my home, so it is not someplace I will regularly inhabit.:thumbsup:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I just want to say that we are lucky to have Scott's Gunsmithing to help with our smithing needs. Chad has worked on two different 1911 pistols and an LAR Grizzly for me. I've been very happy with the results on all the guns he has worked on.

The mark of a good pistolsmith is attention to detail. Chad doesn't just fix the problem you bring the gun in for, but also goes the extra mile to look for other issues that need to be addressed.

Thanks Chad!

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    My turn.
    I dropped off my semi-home built AR to Chad to have some mostly cosmetic work done. He cut my barrel down 1.5" or so, re-threaded, re-crowned, and then pinned and welded the flash hider back on. Total length of the barrel and flash hider is now 16.25" (ATF Safe)
    The front sight base was cut down so that he could install the Specter YHM rail that I bought from Decoy. The fit and finish of the work done is Spotless!

The locking rign for the YHM tube (similar to the locking ring for adj stock tubes) was a little torn up. Chad re-cut the notches and re-blued the locking ring so that is looks like a brand new ring.
    After the flash hider was repainted, someone touched it. He told me when he went to Scott's this morning he noticed the fingerprint and re-painted it. He said he couldn't give me my upper back with that kind of blemish.
    I walked in with my new MIAD grip when I went today to pick up the gun and Chad installed it for me in about 5 mins. I stood in the shop and BS'ed with him for about 2 hrs while the fresh paint on my flash hider dried.

The locking ring repair and the flash hider painting were his absolute attention to detail. I didn't ask him to do it, and I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway.

If I need more gunsmith work done, I'll be going to see Chad. I wouldn't think about taking my guns anywhere else. Why would I, the work and service couldn't get any better at another shop.

Thanks Chad, you're a great guy to deal with and an Asset to MDS. :party29:

Maxicooper

Sep 16, 2008
    Ellicott City, Md
    Visit the place today, to check on my gun that was just in today. Also had a chance to talk to Chad. Great people, awesome place. :thumbsup:

Will see you again next week to pick up my M66 F-Comp. :D

Can't wait indeed. :cool:

I had a great experience at Scott's. Thanks for making the transfer process so smooth. :thumbsup:

Here is the revolver..... ;)

4275284021_7e53c08d3c.jpg

4275301581_889df6fc82.jpg

Also, the rifle looks great. Hugh thanks to Chad for an excellent job on my 15-22. :thumbsup:

What an awesome job, really really beautiful. The threaded barrel and flash hider installation was flawless. :thumbsup:
    Feed ramp was polished and barrel's recrowned as extra services was a nice touch. :D
    Turn around time was as promised.
    Over all, 2 thumbs up. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you so much.

Here are some snap shots of the rifle (with barrel thread and Wilson Combat flash hider), earlier tonight.

4281077550_1b73fdea72_o.jpg

4280334109_3ff3b3fe4f_o.jpg
    4280334199_31be29ed61_o.jpg

4281077578_4a76f44cbb_o.jpg

Full length picture after flash hider installed.

4305944740_619590ccd6_o.jpg

Went to the range today. 100 rounds of Mini Mags, flawlessly. :thumbsup:

The rifle needs to sight in though. the Eotech and MBUS were off quite a bit. I didn't really have that much time today at the range btw. I might get to the range again this weekend. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom