• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YFallston

Aug 24, 2013
    Hazard County
    With lowers being available again I want to build an AR pistol. After doing a little research it appears a 10.5 inch barrel is my best option for a 556 build. Any suggestions on do and donts for the build would be greatly appreciated.

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    Do: Buy a Quality barrel: We recommend Daniel Defense, Noveske, Lothar Walther. We stock them all.

Dont: Buy El Cheapo Barrels - they will probably not cycle correctly and reliably without being over gassed. Over Gassed will force you to use a H2, H3 Buffer. These are Band Aid Fixes. H (H1) is fine but not always needed.

Use the Longest handguard you can. Get it free floated. Good ones that come to mind are: SLR, Midwest, Geissele, Lancer, PF by AP :), BCM (my Favorite right now).

Dont use a Brake: These will give your muffs a quality test and make everyone around you dislike you.

The Flaming Pig by Noveske will help with directing noise down range along with the flash.

And Piston Drive it if you can afford it. I know I will probably create a S'''Storm here by saying this, but the piston systems are so smmoooth.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    Do: Buy a Quality barrel: We recommend Daniel Defense, Noveske, Lothar Walther. We stock them all.

Dont: Buy El Cheapo Barrels - they will probably not cycle correctly and reliably without being over gassed. Over Gassed will force you to use a H2, H3 Buffer. These are Band Aid Fixes. H (H1) is fine but not always needed.

Use the Longest handguard you can. Get it free floated. Good ones that come to mind are: SLR, Midwest, Geissele, Lancer, PF by AP :), BCM (my Favorite right now).

Dont use a Brake: These will give your muffs a quality test and make everyone around you dislike you.

The Flaming Pig by Noveske will help with directing noise down range along with the flash.

And Piston Drive it if you can afford it. I know I will probably create a S'''Storm here by saying this, but the piston systems are so smmoooth.

So what would a 12 inch upper cost using these components?

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    800-1150 depending on configuration.

SBR12.5Piston3.jpg
    SBR12.5Piston1.jpg
    SBR12.5Piston4.jpg

This one is $1150.00 In stock and Of course in Piston drive, the most costly setup.

Email: pf15@pf15.com

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

backhome426

Aug 26, 2012
    SouthCounty
    With lowers being available again I want to build an AR pistol. After doing a little research it appears a 10.5 inch barrel is my best option for a 556 build. Any suggestions on do and donts for the build would be greatly appreciated.

Going to add another question since I am on the same mission.

What tools do I need to assemble the lower? I have everything just waiting for some personal time to sit down and do it.

I am assuming I need a vice and tools. I would absolutely love to avoid scratching the heck out of it.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    IMPORTANT BUFFER TUBE INFORMATION

Make sure you use loctite or rocksett on the buffer tube threads, if it doesn't have a castle nut. My PSA tube backed out after the very first shot, enough that on the second shot the buffer retainer and its corresponding spring went into the FCG, causing all kinds of problems.

Was not a fun day at the range.....and i still have yet to sight it in or do any load development.

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    Man I know guys that put these together on their kitchen table. After they are done there are several empty bottles of booze on the table too. Wonder why I see these later??

As for tools we recommend the Following:

1. Vise - Preferable 5-6 inch for the heft, but a smaller one will do for lower assembly. Get at Lowes. The Blue Vises are decent for under $70
    2. A clean work bench. - Sky's the limit $$
    3. A vise block for lower. $15.00 from us
    4. A Set of roll punches $40.00 - commercial quality from us
    5. BCM Stock Tube Wrench - $15.00 from us
    6. 1/2 inch wrench rachet for stock wrench or torque wrench if your a gorilla and can't stop when it is tight or if you plan to built uppers later - you know where to get these.
    7. Curved nose small pliers. This makes install of front take down pin a lot easier.

YFallston

Aug 24, 2013
    Hazard County
    Is it better to buy a pistol buffer tube with a castle but? Didn't know there was any that didn't have one.thanks agin guys this is the kind of help I wanted.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Good questions....I'll keep it going......

I am planning on a 10.5 inch barrel build. What is the best length for handguards? I want it long enough that the it doesn't cover the flash suppressor, but short enough that it doesn't interfere. Also, anyone have any experience with the Strike Industries Cookie Cutter? It definitely looks tacticool.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom