• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've been looking for a 10.5 - 11" barrel for my pistol build, in 6.8 SPC. Noveske used to make one but they stopped. So I'm thinking if I find a 16" barrel, I can have it cut down to the length I want, but that brings up a question. If the barrel is supposed to use a carbine gas system and I cut it shorter, will I need to have the gas hole enlarged or can I put a Flaming Pig on to give enough back pressure to cycle the action? This is going to be a hunting pistol, so I'm using my handloads, which are loaded pretty hot. I'll be getting the barrel some time this summer, so I'm not in a rush to get this done, but I do want to get it done and sighted in before deer season starts.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    A gas port can be drilled new or enlarged. As to what specs would mean research, trial and error..... all best left to a 'smith.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    That was not in stock last time I looked :o That's about 1" too long but it should work. Prior to picking one up I'll talk to my smith about chopping 1" off and see what he says.

Have you called Noveske? I called yesterday to see when they were going to have some 14.5" 300 AAC barrels available. They directed me to the last shop they sent some to and after calling that shop, I have one on the way.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    I am actually working with a company in Ohio right now called Ornance Directo Co. about making a 5.5" 9mm pistol barrel for me. There website is terrible but if you email Jesse he will answer any questions and is very easy to work with. I will be sending my order to them the end of the week. Might be worth checking out if you cannot find exactly what you are looking for. Thier pricing was very good as well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What kind of flaming hoops do you need to jump through in MD to have a thing like that?

You have to purchase a pre-built AR pistol on the Approved Handgun List. You can't do what I'm doing unless you purchased a stripped lower prior to 10/1/2013 and build a pistol out of it.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Hey, BCM or PSA might be able to assemble what you're looking for; they have 10.5's every now and then. I have a similar project, but I'm going with a PSD upper in 5.56.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom