• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm not a big rifle guy, but I'm liking that all weather version in .308. It's a ways down my list of stuff to buy, but it's on there.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I generally don't buy anything from Ruger that's not Stainless Steel.

It's not a indictment against them, but an endorsement of how great their stainless is. Their AntiCorro(tm) stainless was developed by them specifically for use in firearms, and is very hard as far as stainless steels go. 416C is about 42HRC at best, Ruger's AC is about 48, and that's a big deal. Usually Martensitic Stainless is much less corrosion resistant than Austenitic, but Ruger's SS is very very very corrosion resistant, as good as some stainless alloys used in SILVERWARE, which is nuts.

Anyways, I made a departure from my usual buying habits with the American because I heard they didn't have plans to make the guns in Stainless unless the initial line was a big hit, and for some reason I didn't think the line was going to take off. Now I wish I had waited. :(

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Oh, and the heavy barrel is not a big deal. My standard version in .30-06 is a sub MOA gun.

For normal hunting use, the skinny barrels are fine. Lighting up a prairie dog town will heat up the barrel fast. I notice this with my Remington 700 CDL versus my Sendero. They got the twist rate right, though. Now if they'd just make their African rifles in .416 Rigby again...

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I will definitely say I am looking to get one of these now. I have been wanting to get a bolt action .223 and in the compact Roger American form. Have not really seen anyone online with it, but hope my local store has one for around $350.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Al least ruger made this in a 1-8 twist configuration. I really don't understand why every other .223 bolt action is made in a 1-9 twist configuration.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Al least ruger made this in a 1-8 twist configuration. I really don't understand why every other .223 bolt action is made in a 1-9 twist configuration.

Actually, most bolt guns in .223 have the 1:12" twist rate. This is for the lighter weight .224" bullets for varmint shooting.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Actually, most bolt guns in .223 have the 1:12" twist rate. This is for the lighter weight .224" bullets for varmint shooting.

Thing is, I've read articles testing light weight (40-52 grain) bullets in their 1-7 AR15's and finding that the bullets were not over stabilized/less accurate. (despite people's claims that they would be)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Before owning an AR I would never have thought about buying a 223 bolt gun, but I actually am starting to like the 223, even though something like a 22-250 would probably be better.

otisthedrnk

Feb 12, 2013
    Ruger American

Yes I've been looking at those also, but I would rather have a 1in12 twist most of your factory ammo is 55gr

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I had my friend and FFL holder order me the American Compact in .308, which is considered a xmas gift from the wife. Had I known this all-weather stainless version was in the works I'd have waited for it. I'm going to shoot the one I have for now and will most likely keep it, but I'll be damned if I don't get the all-weather at some point. Maybe I'll get one in .223 or .270 next. I'm really hoping we'll see aftermarket wood stocks available for these soon. Top it off with a Redfield Revolution with Warne rings for a true all-American set-up.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I prefer the Mossberg MVP. That way it uses my regular AR mags, in my case my 20 rd Lancers. Pretty accurate with 50-55g varmint rounds. 24" barrel will stabilize any bullet even at 1:10 although I don't intend to shoot anything heavier than 69g and that very rarely. Lots of ground hogs on the farm. Put a Nikon 600 BDC .223 3-12x40 scope on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom