• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just saw a show called Wild Obsessions where a guy killed a massive 10 pointer with a TC Encore in .223at 100 yards. He hit it right in the shoulder and the deer went maybe 20 yards and folded up.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    So does anyone here hunt with a .223? Or have a resource where I can find some more information pertaining to velocities and barrel lengths? I have a 14.5" pinned barrel so it may be a little short. But I figured it was worth asking and the discussion.

Thoughts?

We are missing an important part. The opening thread is using a 14.5 inch barrel. Why are we comparing what standard length barrel .223 can do when the opening post has a short barrel .223.

Doesn't the 14.5 barrel change things to the lower side?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    We are missing an important part. The opening thread is using a 14.5 inch barrel. Why are we comparing what standard length barrel .223 can do when the opening post has a short barrel .223.

Doesn't the 14.5 barrel change things to the lower side?

Possibly, it depends on what kind of velocities you can achieve.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    Just saw a show called Wild Obsessions where a guy killed a massive 10 pointer with a TC Encore in .223at 100 yards. He hit it right in the shoulder and the deer went maybe 20 yards and folded up.

I just did some research and it seems that wasnt a wild deer. Pen raised, tame deer. If your comfortable hunting with a .223 than by all means do it. It sounds like your getting the best out of the caliber.

MarkP, sorry I kinda came off as an ass with my last responce. I still think a 170 grain bullet from a 30-30 packs a heck of alot more wallop than a 69 grain bullet from a .223. Another note, its been said that to be truley effective on deer, a rifle bullet should strike with at least 1000 ft lbs of energy.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I just did some research and it seems that wasnt a wild deer. Pen raised, tame deer. If your comfortable hunting with a .223 than by all means do it. It sounds like your getting the best out of the caliber.

MarkP, sorry I kinda came off as an ass with my last responce. I still think a 170 grain bullet from a 30-30 packs a heck of alot more wallop than a 69 grain bullet from a .223. Another note, its been said that to be truley effective on deer, a rifle bullet should strike with at least 1000 ft lbs of energy.

I think we both agree on that. I would certainly think that the 170 grain bullet has the edge in likelihood to expand and not over-penetrate. I also agree that you need somewhere around 1000 ft/lbs to do a truly effective job which is why I limited .223 to about 150 yards under the best of circumstances, and believed that longer shots were irresponsible.

Honestly, I was surprised that .30-30 didn't pack more wallop at 100-200 yards, but I think what you're seeing is the bullet bleeding off too much energy due to poor aerodynamics.

Have a Holdiday Beer... :)

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Well I drilled a small 8 point Saturday and sure am glad I used my .308 AR. Damn thing walked straight to me, got sketchy, and never gave me a broadside shot. I knew if I wanted to shoot this deer I would need to take him straight on.

Anybody want to guess what the second pic is?

IMG_0002.jpg

heart.jpg

BTW this had to be the worst 3 days I can ever remember for the start of rifle season. Way to warm and no deer moving.

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    All calibers can have issues,, range, angle, animal moving, ect.. I own a farm in fred. co. and have crop damage permits. we shoot alot of deer. I shoot with a 280 rem and 223 out of an m-4 14.5". I can tell you that within 100yds the 223 loaded with 55gr rem PSP bullets will every time so far that I have shot it a deer though the lungs blown them up. I mean red mung.. Last one popped strait up, took two bounds collapsed, kicked a few expired.. As you can see from the pic it is quite devistating,,

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    Well I drilled a small 8 point Saturday and sure am glad I used my .308 AR. Damn thing walked straight to me, got sketchy, and never gave me a broadside shot. I knew if I wanted to shoot this deer I would need to take him straight on.

Anybody want to guess what the second pic is?

This answers what you need to hunt Deer with.

If you can do head shots, a .223 is fine, otherwise go with something bigger.

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    img0328ad.th.jpg
    [/URL]

All calibers can have issues,, range, angle, animal moving, ect.. I own a farm in fred. co. and have crop damage permits. we shoot alot of deer. I shoot with a 280 rem and 223 out of an m-4 14.5". I can tell you that within 100yds the 223 loaded with 55gr rem PSP bullets will every time so far that I have shot it a deer though the lungs blown them up. I mean red mung.. Last one popped strait up, took two bounds collapsed, kicked a few expired.. As you can see from the pic it is quite devistating,,

Last edited:
    BTW this had to be the worst 3 days I can ever remember for the start of rifle season. Way to warm and no deer moving.
    Deer were moving on Sunday afternoon here, but I agree it's too warm. Since I take deer to a processor, I start thinking about handling and transporting my "kill" before I kill it. Counting chicks before they hatch. Much better if it's near or below freezing and you can calmly field dress and leave it hang all night.

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    All guns and calbers work fine if you hit the vitals (brain, spine, lungs) but larger calbers put them down quicker and bust through brush. I used to live in Pa. More deer there are killed there with 30-30 than probably all other calibers combined. If you keep your cool and place a good shot, 223 will be fine.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    All guns and calbers work fine if you hit the vitals (brain, spine, lungs) but larger calbers put them down quicker and bust through brush. I used to live in Pa. More deer there are killed there with 30-30 than probably all other calibers combined. If you keep your cool and place a good shot, 223 will be fine.

Highly doubtful, this isn't 1920. Not to say many still aren't killed with a 30/30 but that is a old wives tale that doesn't hold anymore. I venture to say the 06 or 308 are now king of the hill. The 06 IS in fact the #1 hunting cartridge sold in North America. No, not pulling it out of my ass like other do, I actually look things up before making post.....well sometimes.

Today, the .30-06 is No. 1 in sales among all big-game cartridges with the major ammunition manufacturers, and it is seldom out of the top five most popular chamberings among builders of bolt-action rifles. The grand old cartridge has long been available in all types of rifles: bolt actions, slide actions, single shots, autoloaders, and even a few lever actions. A great abundance of factory loadings are available not only from U.S. manufacturers but from those in other countries as well. Federal alone, as an example, offers almost two-dozen different loadings of the .30-06 Springfield with bullet weights ranging from 125 to 220 grains. Handloaders who load the cartridge have a great variety of brands, styles, and weights of bullets from which to choose, and dozens are suitable for this grand old cartridge. The popularity of the .30-06 is worldwide; it accounts for a big chunk of sales among many foreign manufacturers of sporting ammunition, and any foreign rifle manufacturer who is anybody (and even some who aren’t) offer the .30-06 chambering.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aasttopriflecar.htm

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Im with Blackbart

Id agree 100% the top of the list consists of

.30-06
    and now

Im sure any hunter can agree that no matter what mom and pop backwoods hunting/food/beer mart you go to, .30-06 and .308 will be on every shelf. Id also agree that 30-30 would be there too though I'd think its not as popular any more.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Im with Blackbart

Id agree 100% the top of the list consists of

.30-06
    and now

Im sure any hunter can agree that no matter what mom and pop backwoods hunting/food/beer mart you go to, .30-06 and .308 will be on every shelf. Id also agree that 30-30 would be there too though I'd think its not as popular any more.

My go to rifle is a .308 Ruger compact, but I don't feel limited or undergunned with the. 223.___

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom