• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Only 14 cases? I'll bet there are a whole lot more felons caught in possession in Baltimore than that. Oh what was I thinking they have to have something to plea bargain with!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Do they still have the FBI/ATF agents that were sent there during the violence spasm in the summer ? Or was that just smoke and mirrors.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I remember this as Project Exile from years ago, it was backed by the NRA. I'm pretty sure its racist because it only targets felons with guns in the city. The race card will be pulled by the same people yelling that the violence must stop. Don't forget you can charge bad guys all you want but you still need a jury to convict. We've seen this in Baltimore before. Juries that won't convict an obvious bad guy. Baltimore the city that bleeds.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Only 14 cases? I'll bet there are a whole lot more felons caught in possession in Baltimore than that. Oh what was I thinking they have to have something to plea bargain with!

From the press release, it's not a slam dunk that arrested in illegal possession is an automatic transfer to the Federal system, and that they are reviewing every case to determine which ones qualify. I look for this list to continue to grow as the arrests mount.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do they still have the FBI/ATF agents that were sent there during the violence spasm in the summer ? Or was that just smoke and mirrors.

I believe ATF agents are still "imbedded" with some patrol units.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I remember this as Project Exile from years ago, it was backed by the NRA. I'm pretty sure its racist because it only targets felons with guns in the city. The race card will be pulled by the same people yelling that the violence must stop. Don't forget you can charge bad guys all you want but you still need a jury to convict. We've seen this in Baltimore before. Juries that won't convict an obvious bad guy. Baltimore the city that bleeds.

The feds rarely go to a jury trial. They only take watertight cases and then hang 20 years firm over the defendants head. The defendant in 97% of federal cases will take a deal, usually 5-8 years for a felon in possession. No parole in the fed system, just 10-15% 'good time' credit. 8 years fed means 7 years to serve.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    These will be the cases of good guys carrying, going with judged by 12, or carried by 6 as they have nothing to trade for a bigger fish.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    From the press release, it's not a slam dunk that arrested in illegal possession is an automatic transfer to the Federal system, and that they are reviewing every case to determine which ones qualify. I look for this list to continue to grow as the arrests mount.

You'd think it would be automatic (felon in possession=bye bye), but unless it's being used as a bargaining chip, any reason why they wouldn't want to hand them over to the Feds?

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Project Exile Links

It was a great success. The exact Project Exile program was mainly in Richmond VA, though some other cities had somewhat similar programs. The people against it are an odd mix.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-md/maryland-exile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...=display_arch&article_id=3192&issue_id=112013

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Because the bust goes to BCPD, not FBI. Turf.

It has nothing to do with "turf".

The federal system isn't making the "bust". The vast majority of the time they get the cases after the arrest, after search warrants, and after all the investigation is done.

They will then indict based off of the work already done.

The FBI isn't answering calls for service and patting down drug dealers finding guns and slapping cuffs on dealers on Mosher Street.

More cases do not go federal because the federal system is only going to take slam dunk cases. If it isn't a 100% slam dunk case they aren't going to bother.

The feds have over a 90% conviction rate. It is because they only accept cases they know they will win and they are hanging 20-100 years over the heads forcing them to plea.

If it was a "turf war" as you described there would be federal agents on the streets making tons of arrest. And if that was the case the conviction rate would be no where near 90%.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Again?

Seriously, these 14 were announced and charged back in August.

Project Exile is good, but this is just project PR stunt.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It was a great success. The exact Project Exile program was mainly in Richmond VA, though some other cities had somewhat similar programs. The people against it are an odd mix.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-md/maryland-exile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...=display_arch&article_id=3192&issue_id=112013

Whenever people claim that project exile in Richmond failed to cause a sustained decrease in homicide numbers, it is worthwhile to look at the fact that it only lasted two years before the watered down 'virginia exile' replaced it. The key feature of the initial project exile was the fact that the federal courts can use the likelihood to reoffend as a reason to deny pre-trial release.

Today, the counter for homicides in Baltimore stands at 309. There must have been hundreds of arrests over the course of the year where firearms were found on prohibited persons. 14 federal charges is a piss in the ocean. Once the feds start locking up 100 violent felons/month (and keep them off the streets), we may see a change in the situation.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Groups that were opposed to Project Exile

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile

Opposing Project Exile were libertarians, anti-prison advocates, black activists, and a coalition of pro-gun rights groups

A "Project Exile Condemnation Petition" was launched by Brian Puckett of GunTruths.com,[4] Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America,[5][4] Angel Shamaya of KeepAndBearArms.com,[4] and former NRA director Russ Howard.[4] Other prominent opponents who were members of this anti-Exile coalition included Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership,[4] the Law Enforcement Alliance of America,[4] Libertarian Party presidential candidate Harry Browne,[4] and science fiction writer L. Neil Smith.[4]

From the left, Project Exile was condemned, as racist, by Families Against Mandatory Minimums,[6] and opposed by several members of the Congressional Black Caucus on the grounds that it would have a disproportionate effect on the black community since it targeted inner city communities where the crime rates were highest (such as in Richmond and Atlanta). In testifying against the reliance on federal mandatory minimum sentences in general, U.S. Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA) noted that Richmond had a smaller drop in crime during the period Exile was in effect than did Norfolk, which did not have Exile.[7]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom