• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    IIRC, The state says they can charge a fee of $20.00.

The fact that they charge more and are not called out by the state ... Is indicative of the state attitude towards anyone buying a firearm. The state is saying... "Yes, we know the business is over charging you... But F U, you're a gun buyer and we hate you anyway."

When Atlantic Guns charged me over $100 for a transfer they basically told me it was punishment for customers not buying the gun from them (It was a used discontinued historic gun). I have bought several new guns from them so they don't give anyone a break. I found a private, much cheaper one after that. And now I won't set foot in their shop.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    When Atlantic Guns charged me over $100 for a transfer they basically told me it was punishment for customers not buying the gun from them (It was a used discontinued historic gun). I have bought several new guns from them so they don't give anyone a break. I found a private, much cheaper one after that. And now I won't set foot in their shop.

And there we have it. :sad20:

That certainly didn't take long!

So, the message is, if we can't whip your ass on full MSRP we're going to punish you for being a smart shopper by raping you on the legal transfer.

Let the sack swingers comment away! I'm all for paying a premium for fast and friendly service (hence the reason I use and recommend Ricks). But, if it became $50 plus dollars? Nah.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    My favorite was when an FFL charged me sales tax on a transfer that he didn't sell (not an IP).

I ASSumed if I grumbled he'd hold my gun hostage and want to charge an exorbitant amount of money to put it back in the box, a piece of tape, and shipping lable to another FFL

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Couple a thousand...or even several thousand a month for rent, plus utilities, plus wages for employee, taxes, etc etc...

And it takes the dealer much more than the 15 minutes it takes to fill out forms (and they are paying someone to help the customer even with that process). There's the logging in and out of the ATF bound books, tearing the forms apart to fax them (then fixing them together somehow to be signed), mailing forms to MSP and dealing with periodic ATF inspections which can take up days of time which isn't spent doing other productive work. Meanwhile, the HQL has reduced the customer pool dramatically all while the spending frenzy from 2013 still is having impact on other guns sales. It all adds up to many FFLs doing what they can to just try to survive as a business. That has driven FFL transfer fees up a lot just in the last couple years. Meantime you have the internet dealers (like Buds) buying in HUGE volume selling guns just $30 - $50 over wholesale costs in some cases. Gun Stores would, in many of these cases cease to exist without transfer fees helping them.

There is no BATFE or MSP requirement that any FFL log a firearm into their bound book that they are not taking possession of. If it is a simple transfer between two individuals that decide to use the FFL, the FFL does not take possession of the firearm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most times, if you use an FFL for the transfer, the FFL takes possess for the 7 days. That way both people do not need to meet up again.

Blue Fins

Aug 23, 2011
    Same experience here. Five or so transactions using the Golden Ring barracks. No problems on their end, aside from that one pistol that I was selling (bought from an IP) that was reported stolen 6 months after I bought it. :o They were more than helpful throughout that whole debacle, and the one trooper jokes with me now, asking if "this one is stolen too?" :D

For private sales or buys...I'll stick with the $10 MSP transfers myself.

Handgun transfers from some IP's here (info from their websites):
    Duffy's - $100
    Blue Fins - $45
    Tyler Firearms - $60 for mds members
    Engage Armament - $75
    Scott's Gunsmithing - $85
    United - $50
    Bollinger - $40
    Freestate - $85

Liability issue for sure.

The one time at GR, the Sargent was directing a pursuit on I-95 while also handling the transfer....it was actually quite comical to me, the average Joe...Comical because what I would think is a big deal, regarding several Troopers chasing a car, was nothing to him...he'd hand me a paper, then give some orders on the radio, then hand me some papers, etc....I actually said, "Hey I'm in no hurry, and it looks like you're a little busy"... He said, "No problem. We'll get you outta here." :lol2:

Actually, for MDS members we give a discount off the regular price. If you call to ask how much a transfer is you have to tell us you are a MDS member, otherwise you will get the regular price. :)

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Actually, for MDS members we give a discount off the regular price. If you call to ask how much a transfer is you have to tell us you are a MDS member, otherwise you will get the regular price. :)

:party29: Its a generous discount also. I've taken advantage of it before.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

You could just advertise it here since this IS mds. Instead of going all super secret squirrel about it

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I always wonder why some IP's pay to be an IP/Supporter here at MDS, but never post any specials, deals, or in some cases post absolutely nothing at all.... :shrug:

This! Or sometimes, when asked about a price they tell us to come in.

Maybe for some it's just an internet billboard :shrug:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

There are issues with advertising prices below MAP or even MSRP in some cases, depending on the dealer agreement. I can point you to an IP's sale thread where this occurred and there were consequences for the dealer.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    There are issues with advertising prices below MAP or even MSRP in some cases, depending on the dealer agreement. I can point you to an IP's sale thread where this occurred and there were consequences for the dealer.

yes, I remember engage had that problem with their black friday sale.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Maybe because all of the forums but the water cooler are open for all to see, and they only want to share the deals with true MDS members?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Maybe because all of the forums but the water cooler are open for all to see, and they only want to share the deals with true MDS members?

If I was running a business and I thought a good price would attract customers I'd want as many people to see it as humanly possible.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If I was running a business and I thought a good price would attract customers I'd want as many people to see it as humanly possible.

The issue very well may be MAP pricing, which is Minimum Advertised Price. I deal with it with what I do, and I can't advertise any products publicly below that price. But I can certainly make you an offer of a lower price in private.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Personally, I don't bother with any business, here or anywhere else, that won't give me a price until I am there...

"There" in those cases is somewhere else. ;)

There's nothing wrong with an IP stating that MSRP is $_____ ,but come to the store for an even better price. Like protegeV said, I would want the extra business, not seem to go out of my way to steer them somewhere else....there's a few IP'S here that do exactly that. JMO...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Personally, I don't bother with any business, here or anywhere else, that won't give me a price until I am there...

"There" in those cases is somewhere else. ;)

There's nothing wrong with an IP stating that MSRP is $_____ ,but come to the store for an even better price. Like protegeV said, I would want the extra business, not seem to go out of my way to steer them somewhere else....there's a few IP'S here that do exactly that. JMO...

Yep, a reason why I won't buy any firearms from one of our IPs in particular. Heard the guy at the counter say that to four or five people in a row on the phone while I was there last. "Come in to the store if you want to know the price, we don't quote over the phone".

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Yep, a reason why I won't buy any firearms from one of our IPs in particular. Heard the guy at the counter say that to four or five people in a row on the phone while I was there last. "Come in to the store if you want to know the price, we don't quote over the phone".

I'd bet money I know where you are referring to....

BTW, I found 1 or 2 Bethlehem Steel refrigerator magnets, and I have a signed copy of a steelworker written book if you're interested...even better if your name happens to be Rob...lol...just shoot me a pm.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    There is no BATFE or MSP requirement that any FFL log a firearm into their bound book that they are not taking possession of. If it is a simple transfer between two individuals that decide to use the FFL, the FFL does not take possession of the firearm.

If the gun is at the store overnight, it MUST be logged in. Scott had an issue some years back when he had a couple quick fix things taken in for just a day and ATF showed up right then. Of course, any handguns need to wait the requisite 7 days so they are kept overnight. What you state may be true for a long gun where both parties are present....but then you don't have to do an FFL transfer anyway. Any firearm received through the mail is taken possess
    ion of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom