Handgun roster this model # specific????

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Considering buying a Kahr CM45. Went and checked the roster. No CM45 but, it does have the PM45 which is the exact same gun just twice the price. Does this really mean that the CM45 is NOT approved? I've never run into this before yet. Is the roster really this specific when it comes to different model numbers of essentially the same handgun and if so how do you go about getting a specific model added? I knew the gun laws of this communist state were crazy but, I guess I never thought the depth of foolishness ran this deep. Can someone enlighten me on how this works exactly? Thanks.:rolleyes:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the form for submitting a firearm. If you have more questions you can contact Marlene Jenkins at the Roster Board

Attachments

• roster.JPG
      roster.JPG
      16.6 KB · Views: 514
    • Handgun Roster Petition Form.doc
      31 KB · Views: 135
    • Handgun roster approval rules.jpg
      Handgun roster approval rules.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 523

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I know very little about this, someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly; but my understanding is that when a gun is submitted more generically, then most retailers consider the slight variations of that model included. This makes sense to me.

I think even having a roster is silly, it just slows down how Maryland citizens can buy new guns, we typically get approval for them a few months after the rest of the country.

Besides, what real difference does it make if a gun has a slightly longer grip, caliber, color or barrel?

If there is a gun out there that is known to have a major flaw, the dealers are not going to sell it. We don't need a government agency to tell us which guns are approved. This only harkens to the mindset that guns are evil.

One last quick comment, I think any gun used by any police department or military should automatically be approved; after all the establishment proports that the 'approved' list is for our safety, so people aren't buying junk guns that are inherently unsafe. I argue that if they are safe enough for a police or military organization, they are plenty safe for citizens.

Last edited:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    but my understanding is that when a gun is submitted more generically, then most retailers consider the slight variations of that model included. This makes sense to me.
    zens.

MOST FFL's will do that.

But if you look at 229's there is a reason there's just about every model listed.

I sadly thought logically and a FFL didn't. Called MSP and there is a reason there is a gazillion listed.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Virtually every gun law in MD is designed to infringe and discourage ownership by the serfs

plain and simple

Just go to a gun show across the river and watch Virginians walk out with handguns instantly, ones not on our roster as well .. :sad20:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    This same issue came up with guns of the SAME model number.

When Glock introduced the Gen 4 line, the State blocked the sale of existing model numbers because of changes in the internal parts of the new line. Gen 4s differ from Gen 3s. So the Gen 4 G17 had to be submitted for approval even though the Gen 3 G17 was already on the Roster.

The hard part came when the FFLs had assumed the Gen 4 model G17 was already approved and sold many of them before approval was granted. Ooops...

If it is not on the Roster... Don't assume it is approved. Apply for the approval. If there is really no appreciable difference between the one on the Roster and the one you want... It will probably be added to the Roster.

This same issue came up with guns of the SAME model number.

When Glock introduced the Gen 4 line, the State blocked the sale of existing model numbers because of changes in the internal parts of the new line. Gen 4s differ from Gen 3s. So the Gen 4 G17 had to be submitted for approval even though the Gen 3 G17 was already on the Roster.

The hard part came when the FFLs had assumed the Gen 4 model G17 was already approved and sold many of them before approval was granted. Ooops...

If it is not on the Roster... Don't assume it is approved. Apply for the approval. If there is really no appreciable difference between the one on the Roster and the one you want... It will probably be added to the Roster.

Rifling in the barrel and the engraving of the slide is all I'm aware of besides the enormous price difference. That is so ridiculous to have to submit something for approval that has been on the market already for many years. It really makes you feel like a subject in a kingdom rather than a citizen of a republic. What a damn joke.:mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    that is the goal. to infringe by discouragement

like most MD gun laws, it has nothing to do with reducing crime. criminals don't consult the roster before obtaining a firearm.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    rtmhunter, It sucks we have to do it, but it's not a difficult process. Also because yours is a variant of a pistol already on the roster you will likely not need to submit an actual pistol with the application, just the form that swinokur attached. I'm about to submit the form for the HK P30SK, which is just the compact version of the already-approved P30. SK should be covered, but nope, I get to submit paperwork again. Good news is that it's 10 mins of paperwork and 15 min of mailing it or delivering it in person. If you fill out the paperwork for your Kahr, I'll be happy to turn it in for you (I turn mine in in person). Just PM me.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Good chance it goes through regardless. I bought my cz in a caliber that was not listed on the roster. Got my "not disapproved," picked up pistol, all was well..

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Good chance it goes through regardless. I bought my cz in a caliber that was not listed on the roster. Got my "not disapproved," picked up pistol, all was well..

My understanding is the application process checks the purchaser. Does MSP also check the roster? I'm looking at the posting above regarding Glock gen3 VS gen4, that shouldn't have happened if they do.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Yep

I ordered a Cylinder and Slide 1911 commemorative some years back. It had to be added to the roster board list. I talked to the guys at C&S just before it shipped; they said I was their first Maryland customer, obviously, and the process went well for them but he told me that he would have to go through the same process for each variant of the guns they make (Army, Navy, etc.) even though the guns are EXACTLY the same except for those single words on the slide. MD considers them different models.

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    To show how screwed up things are at the "Hq" they OKed the Ruger Bearcat, on the Register (different from the Roster), model 0916 which is a blued model with adjustable sights but did NOT OK model 0917 which is the exact same revolver except it is stainless. I called and spoke, at length, with Marlene Jenkins. She assured me that she would make sure the stainless model number showed up on the next 'Roster'. When it came out in May (I believe it was May might have been June) loo and behold the 0917 was shown. All it takes is the time to make a phone call and be polite. Marlene is a joy to speak to. She will work with you IF you sound like you know what you are a talking about.

Reichy

Apr 6, 2008
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I'm about to submit the form for the HK P30SK, which is just the compact version of the already-approved P30. SK should be covered, but nope, I get to submit paperwork again. Good news is that it's 10 mins of paperwork and 15 min of mailing it or delivering it in person.

Any success on getting the P30SK paperwork submitted? I'm hankering for one of those with night sights!
    Thanks,
    R

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Turns out the P30SK is filed under "heckler" but not under "hk." weird...

Sounds about right. The p09 I had was listed under "BRNO or CZ", not "cz" or "czech"

Don't ask me why there are 3 categories for the same thing. :facepalm:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My understanding is the application process checks the purchaser. Does MSP also check the roster? I'm looking at the posting above regarding Glock gen3 VS gen4, that shouldn't have happened if they do.

There is a box to check whether or not the gun is on the roster. I transferred one at msp that wasn't on the roster in a specific caliber. The trooper checked the NO box, for it not being on the roster. Still got "not disapproved"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom