• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I'm about to receive some older black powder/paper cartridge firearms. All three are dated late 1800's (one musket/two handguns). The revolvers are cap & ball and the musket is a smooth bore 58cal. Are these firearms cash & carry or do I need a C&R FFL to transfer if I were to sell them? Thanks Chris

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    No FFL is required because they are blackpowder muzzleloaders, and also because they are antiques. They are not legally firearms.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Chris
    Get some BP and shoot them yourself, smoke poles are fun. They carry BP up at Cameron's in Oxford PA.

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    I'm about to receive some older black powder/paper cartridge firearms. All three are dated late 1800's (one musket/two handguns). The revolvers are cap & ball and the musket is a smooth bore 58cal. Are these firearms cash & carry or do I need a C&R FFL to transfer if I were to sell them? Thanks Chris

MVEE is correct. Considered an antique and does not need or require an 01 or 03 to have it shipped to the house.

https://www.atf.gov/content/what-qualifies-antique-firearm

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    Please be sure that you're aware of the EXACT date of manufacturer. From the ATF website:

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term “antique firearm” means —

any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
    any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica —
    is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
    any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term ‘antique firearm’ shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

LINK

I collect Colt 1873 Single Action Army revolvers, and they're a good example. One made in 1897 and 1899 are almost indistinguishable, unless you carefully check the serial number against Colt's lists. The ones I have made in the 1970's and even 2013 are pretty much the same (a couple of minor tweaks), but they're considered firearms. Only the ones made before 1898 are antiques, the others require the same FFL transfer as any other firearm.

Go figure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom