Has anyone on MDS been issued a MD Wear & Carry permit post Oct. 1???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    NEW - NOT RENEWAL

Do they now read: Wear & Carry Permit? or do they still say Permit to Carry a Handgun?

Was training required if you applied before Oct. 1?

What restrictions?

What was your G&S?

Last edited:

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I know a member here that just got his Maryland "Permit to Carry A Handgun" last week. I won't say who he is but if he wants to come on here and say, it is up to him. I compared it to mine, which was issued in 2011 and the only difference is that at the bottom left on the front it says something to the effect that if it is expired, call MSP before arresting the bearer. Other than that it is exactly the same word for word.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I know a member here that just got his Maryland "Permit to Carry A Handgun" last week. I won't say who he is but if he wants to come on here and say, it is up to him. I compared it to mine, which was issued in 2011 and the only difference is that at the bottom left on the front it says something to the effect that if it is expired, call MSP before arresting the bearer. Other than that it is exactly the same word for word.

Do you happen to know the date he applied and date interviewed?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

Mine says this too, issued around June. I was interviewed last May (original group) I thought to myself: "No wonder, ....it takes them up to 5 months to issue a renewal"!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I know of a co-worker that applied pre Oct. 1 as former LEO, had a phone interview about a month ago and just received an unrestricted permit. No additional training, etc. looks the exact same as those issued pre Oct. 1

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I know of a co-worker that applied pre Oct. 1 as former LEO, had a phone interview about a month ago and just received an unrestricted permit. No additional training, etc. looks the exact same as those issued pre Oct. 1

Unrestricted? Interesting.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Unrestricted? Interesting.

Yeah...I know this can be a touchy subject as MSP seems to treat former LEOs applying for permits on a case by case basis. I have heard that former agency/time served/time since resignation all come into play but no clue what the facts are. I can say, however, that I know of four people in my current office including myself that have received unrestricted permits by applying as former LEO within the past year.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I can say, however, that I know of four people in my current office including myself that have received unrestricted permits by applying as former LEO within the past year.

I'm not nessicarily "mad" about it, certainly not at you or your coworkers, so please don't read this that way. I honestly don't understand how this works (honestly, not being a dick). How is being a former leo grounds for getting the permit we should ALL have? You (and I) are under no responsibility nor have the authority to attempt to thwart crime in process with a carried handgun.

Only true difference is, if I am pulled over or otherwise detained and the cop decides I'm carrying outside the restrictions of my permit.......I go to jail, lose said permit and likely my ability to even own a firearm.

Sounds fair. :(

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm not nessicarily "mad" about it, certainly not at you or your coworkers, so please don't read this that way. I honestly don't understand how this works (honestly, not being a dick). How is being a former leo grounds for getting the permit we should ALL have? You (and I) are under no responsibility nor have the authority to attempt to thwart crime in process with a carried handgun.

Only true difference is, if I am pulled over or otherwise detained and the cop decides I'm carrying outside the restrictions of my permit.......I go to jail, lose said permit and likely my ability to even own a firearm.

Don't disagree with you at all....no rhyme or reason behind it.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

He applied in August and had a telephone interview in September. His permit is like mine. Unrestricted except for when at work. The reason for this is that when at work we can only carry a duty weapon.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm getting my ducks in a row to apply. Working in a jail, I've amassed quite a few threats :D

If you are a Corrections Officer it will be a breeze. Been there done that. The institutional reports don't have to be specific to you, generalized threats are accepted against Corrections Officers. Processing time was very fast for me when I was a Corrections Officer. It really is ridiculous that you have to get the documented threats at all. That is one job where you are sure to get threatened routinely by people who have shown a willingness to attack strangers.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Divide and conquer

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I have heard that former agency/time served/time since resignation all come into play but no clue what the facts are.
    Your tenure in LE needed to take place in Maryland, DC, DE, VA, WV or PA. You must apply within 5 years of leaving the organization. If issued, it will only be for a term equal to your tenure in law enforcement. If you were on the job for 6 years, you'll only get a permit for 6 years. This of course has nothing to do with LEOSA. This is internal MSP policy that was discovered by my lawyer and I when I appealed my initial rejection of application as an LEO in Virginia.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Your tenure in LE needed to take place in Maryland, DC, DE, VA, WV or PA. You must apply within 5 years of leaving the organization. If issued, it will only be for a term equal to your tenure in law enforcement. If you were on the job for 6 years, you'll only get a permit for 6 years. This of course has nothing to do with LEOSA. This is internal MSP policy that was discovered by my lawyer and I when I appealed my initial rejection of application as an LEO in Virginia.

Would you mind letting us know who the lawyer is? Some of us might need him. He seems to have done the job well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom