• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Saw a lady in a power chair get nabbed on the way out of the Rt. 40 asian market last weekend. She tried to "run" away in her chair but the police chased her down no problem. It was almost comical.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Really surprised to hear an employee chased them. I went to college with a guy who worked loss prevention at Home Depot for a while. He told me they had a policy of not stopping thieves from leaving. Strictly observe and report.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Unrelated to Lowes but...

Went grocery shopping last week. Local giant store. Mid afternoon. As I'm pulling in a younger white guy runs between cars in front of me and almost gets hit. I notice the incident but think nothing of it. I park and enter store maybe 3-4 minutes later. As I walk in I notice the same guy with 2 baskets full of steaks and meat. I realize that something is odd. That was very fast to fill 2 baskets with meat and why nothing else? I walk past him near the entrance/exit and continue to watch from nearby. He casually walks out the door as I mention to an employee that he is shoplifting. Her reply as she watches him walk out "O well". Was probably $200-300 worth of steaks I'd guess. I just shook my head and walked away

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Worked holiday retail sales one season in the mid '80's in the men's department at Bloomingdale's, White Flint. One day, before anybody took cognizance of what had just happened, a guy walked through the door from the outdoor parking lot, silently scooped up the entire rack of Burberry raincoats, and exited into a waiting getaway car.

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    These run / walk outs are starting to get more frequent. The issue is the only people in the store that can apprehend or question are LP. Usually its only two LP per store so they cant always be at the store when these things happen. If they leave the store with any merchandise its pretty much gone. We can get footage from security cameras but that doesn't do much when you cant call police. I dont know if its a store or district policy but i know for the store i work part time in they have to call district LP and get approval before they can call the police.

We had some regulars, did a run out with tools previously, a few weeks ago and they were stuffing copper fittings and some other stuff in boxes they had opened. LP wasnt in so we couldnt do anything but cover all exits and follow them around the store and annoy them with our customer service till they left or did what they were trying to do. They ended up trying to use a credit card that didnt match any ID's then tried to make a scene till they left.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So you put yourself at risk of being killed over someone else's power tools??? Those tools belonged to a Fortune 500 corporation that was going to write it off as a loss anyway. It's not like they belonged to some little old lady who had just purchased them. Playing hero can get you killed. You are damn lucky you weren't injured or killed.

Intervening in a physical assault is one thing but for God's sake.....

When good men decide to do nothing, evil will prevail. Sad thing is the guys did not get apprehended, so they might be out robbing somebody's house at this very moment.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    It's obvious these guys were turning their lives around. They were borrowing the tools so that they could start a new contracting business. The police see this all the time. Claim the insurance. These guys will be giving back to society in no time.

Sent from my smartphone using Tappatalk 2.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I'm sorry. I understand everyone who says, "Don't get involved. It's only tools.", but not getting involved is what has led this state and spinning down the sh*tter. Especially if I saw a lady chasing two grown ass men, I would have done something similar as the OP.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    Use of any type of force against the owner or agent of the property bumps that crime up to robbery. If the woman was an employee and the suspect(s) pulled out pepper spray, that is a use of force and a robbery, not just a shoplifting anymore.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    You did something commendable we all wish we would/could do, applause.

Would you do the same thing again, think about it first.............

If you had CC and it came to using it, would it mean that the Media would turn you into the next "Zimmerman" ?

Please, don't think I'm trying to downplay what you did, I'm certainly not. I just want you to realize the complications that coul1d arise if you had shot and stopped the perpetrator , yes the BLACK ONE !

Doing the right thing doesn't ever mean you won't get punished.

Me, well this is exactly how I would deal with it. :cool:

http://youtu.be/Vhuim7rBOAs

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Use of any type of force against the owner or agent of the property bumps that crime up to robbery. If the woman was an employee and the suspect(s) pulled out pepper spray, that is a use of force and a robbery, not just a shoplifting anymore.

I think doing it in the presence of the victim (cashier) makes it robbery, without the need for force.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    If you shoot someone for stealing and using pepper spray, you are going to jail.

If they are stealing, using pepper spray, and swinging a baseball bat at your head then you might be justified.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So you put yourself at risk of being killed over someone else's power tools??? Those tools belonged to a Fortune 500 corporation that was going to write it off as a loss anyway. It's not like they belonged to some little old lady who had just purchased them. Playing hero can get you killed. You are damn lucky you weren't injured or killed.

Intervening in a physical assault is one thing but for God's sake.....

This 1000%

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Before the Lowes in North East was open some guys pulled into the fence area in the rear and loaded up a riding mower into a pick up truck. When they tried to leave the truck hit the gate and cut the brake line. As the truck exited the shopping center it ran the stop sign due to no brakes. The truck then collided with a car and the idiot in the bed of the truck was ejected and died from the sudden stop on the asphalt. Self correcting error - death penalty for theft.

Maryland recipient of a Darwin Award ... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom