• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Imagine my surprise when I got to my shop this morning, jumped into my work truck, cranked it up to hear the roar a Sherman tank. At first I thought, well, that old muffler has finally given up the ghost (1998 original factory muffler). So, I got out to survey the damage and so see if it would make it to my mechanic's shop around the corner. That's when I realized there was something missing. Someone had gone under my truck and sawn off the CC along with the Y pipe and snipping the sensor wires.:sad20: Thank God for rechargeable sawsalls, I guess? When I talked to my mechanic moments later, he told me I was the second call he'd gotten this morning of this nature.

I thought I'd dodged a bullet in that the converters in this model truck had frequent issues requiring replacement but, having made it 17 years without any problems, I thought I was safe. Not the case. It's been a few years since I've been 'hit' so, I guess I was due. The timing really sucks, having missed over two months of work this winter but, I guess there is never a good time to get ripped off. Talk about a :kicknuts:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Junkies selling the platinum inside. Nice, huh? Try to have something and dome lowlife literally rips it away.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    When I worked at the dealer, a crew stole the converters off of a fleet of Chevy Express vans from a rental company. Easiest money I ever made. One still had a single converter left because their saw blade snapped off in the pipe.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    These guys are pretty bold. The 2 we've managed to catch had inverters with several battery chargers/batteries waiting to go.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Never any fun, my coworker had his window on an unlocked crv smashed for both air bags. Could be worse, just make it into a race truck. Get an x pipe long tube headers and some flow master 40's :-D

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Where do they sell them? Seems like a visit by the SA's office to these places might put a damper on the demand side of this equation.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I had mine cut off of my 4 runner at the park and ride at the end of 70.
    Some junkie made $50 and it cost me $500 to fix.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I sold the cats off my Mustang and made $180 from the local scrap yard. It was easy money. Now they require you to have a business license in order to sell them the cats which screws over the people who are legitimate. The theives will simply sell them for less to a middle man.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Comprehensive on a 17 year old work van...not.

Eh....figured i would bring it up. Most people don't even know comp would cover something like that. Sorry it happened. I do understand, though. There IS a reason I know comp covers it.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Too bad they didn't catch the broken sawzall blade into their eye socket. I guess then we would all pay their health care costs! :mad54::mad54:

Jegs sells replacement cats pretty cheap (< $125) if your muffler shop will use a universal that is.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Eh....figured i would bring it up. Most people don't even know comp would cover something like that. Sorry it happened. I do understand, though. There IS a reason I know comp covers it.

Nope, I totally appreciate the help.:thumbsup:

Too bad they didn't catch the broken sawzall blade into their eye socket. I guess then we would all pay their health care costs! :mad54::mad54:

Jegs sells replacement cats pretty cheap (< $125) if your muffler shop will use a universal that is.

Just think, if we would all paid for their well being, they might stop ripping us off! Uh hu, right.
    My mechanic has kept my trucks going for over 37 years. He won't hurt me. He's a good dude.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    When I worked at the dealer, a crew stole the converters off of a fleet of Chevy Express vans from a rental company. Easiest money I ever made. One still had a single converter left because their saw blade snapped off in the pipe.

yep, we've seen that a time or two :sad20:

in fact, we also had a plow truck stolen right off two sundays ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom