• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm a knife rookie, but I've learned a lot mostly through this forum the last few years. I don't consider myself a knife guy, but I've picked up several since tuning in here.

My question is...

I see a lot of lightweight camping/hiking throw in your 'get home bag' or 'bug out bag' knives, many with good sheaths and firestarters (most typically fero rods); but what is the best ultra lightweight knife sharpener to keep with your knife?

I picked up a tiny carbide sharpener for this purpose, but I read it really strips a knife and shouldn't be used very often; mostly only to fix damaged edges. So ceramic, or a stone, or maybe a diamond stone? What's the best to affix to a sheath and always have handy?

Lansky (the sharpener company) calls this category of sharpeners 'pocket' sharpeners: http://lansky.com/index.php/pocket-sharpeners/

This one probably has the most options, but it's a little larger and heavier than I was hoping to find:

df7ebc8bbecb2aac8b4e0c4e1a95f192_f673.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If you're desperate, a nice smooth hunk of rock is better than nothing.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    That little GI keychain sharpener has been good to me when out in the field. I alternate between that and the Croc Sticks when I am on the road and don't have my belt sander, sharpmaker or spyderco bench stones. It I am carrying a serrated knife then the croc stick comes along. If a straight edge then the GI will do.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have a DMT folding sharpener. Carried it all over Afghanistan in the pouch on my knife sheath and used it a lot (surprised how many guys didn't have a sharpener). Worked great, just needs a little water. It's the way I would go again. Large enough to be useful, I would worry about the small ones not being as useful and I would not want one which limited me to angles they set. Balance of weight and usefulness in my mind. I would accept the extra ounce or 2 to have something which works well than a light one which was poor.

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    I've always used the spyderco double stuf, medium and fine ceramics epoxied together. Light weight and will put a razor edge on a knife. Or a fallkniven DC4.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Spyderco ceramic pocket stones for actual sharpening, they have some that are profiled on the edges to match their serrations. If you can match and hold an angle then a hand stone can be fine, but small cheap sharpeners are a good way to mess up a knife. For a weekend or even a month of camping, a good knife in good steel will hold a sharp edge, depending on use, damage is more likely than wear, especially of the microedge burr. For at least a month you can just straighten out a roll or gouge with a piece of steel with an edge, then strop on most any tough material, leather works great, but cardboard or canvas is fine too. So a belt or strap to strop it, and the back of another knife, saw or edge of a hatchet to straighten a bent edge. If you straighten out the edge first you have a MUCH easier time with a handstone, and have to take off much less material if you won't be around civilization for a long time, or if your knife will see heavy use beyond camping or basic survival. In all likelihood you could just wait and use whatever your preffered sharpening system is once you get home.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have some handheld diamond 'paddles' with plastic handles. Probably only 1/8" thick and seriously weigh next to nothing. In a SHTF scenario one would be all you really need. Cant remember who makes mine but doing a quick search, DMT (and others) make similar pocket-able things that don't have a fixed handle. A different grit on each side would be even better. Im sure someone makes them.

I don't think you're going to be able to beat a diamond plate for "ultra lightweight" that the OP is looking for.

F70XCFE_new_rev_3x_72dpi_RT.jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have some handheld diamond 'paddles' with plastic handles. Probably only 1/8" thick and seriously weigh next to nothing. In a SHTF scenario one would be all you really need. Cant remember who makes mine but doing a quick search, DMT (and others) make similar pocket-able things that don't have a fixed handle. A different grit on each side would be even better. Im sure someone makes them.

I don't think you're going to be able to beat a diamond plate for "ultra lightweight" that the OP is looking for.

Thanks everyone for the excellent tips. I have to agree, this super compact diamond sharpener looks like the ticket.

I found this version that was about half the price of the one (also by Smith's) that slides into the handle; I'm not sure the handle is worth twice the price. I think I'd rather have two of these than one of those Smiths 50447 ~ $11

:)

I have a few of these http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-12869.html ,different brands, (tackle box,hunting pack,glovebox(s),etc.) but I like that^.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Not sure if the similar Gerber sharpener has the taper at one end of the diamond stick like this Smith sharpener does.

The Gerber doesn't have the tapered end, like the Smith's rod does.

One end of the rod has a "D" shape (with a round side and a flat side), and also has a groove for fish hooks and darts, but the opposite end of the rod is a just plain steel cylinder with no diamond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom