• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    dmt_card(909)_800x600.jpg

DMT Diamond card. It's the size of a credit card, easy to figure out and use.

Don't bother with pull-through sharpeners.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    These slim credit card shaped sharpeners are new to me. Are the kind of like sand paper?

No, but also "yes", in a sense.

They're thin plates which have had an abrasive surface of diamonds applied.

So, while you'd really be carrying around a minimally thick 2"x3" diamond stone in your wallet, you could also think of it as carrying around an excessively thick 2"x3" piece of sandpaper.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've noticed some of the most popular and new (new to me anyhow) sharpening machines are basically belt sandpaper, electric jobs. I saw a guy selling them at the Gun show last weekend, and I've heard people rave about them.

So this got me thinking; I wonder if they make sandpaper but made of diamond dust?

While searching for this, if found this excellent article: http://tomsworkbench.com/2009/10/12/a-honing-beacon/

Here's a quote from it: "There are basically five different kinds of media on which people will hone their edges – oil stones, water stones, sandpaper, diamond stones or ceramic stones."

So since my criteria is 'ultra light weight' knife sharpener, and sandpaper can do the job, it's just not very durable; I think it is the winner.

autobodypaper.jpg

Most multi-tools have a small metal file, so for reshaping or sharpening very dull blades, it might get a little file action before switching to sandpaper.

FRK7KZCG9GQIVX5.MEDIUM.jpg

But I am very interested in the diamond stones and will be picking one (or more) up to experiment with.

DMT_stone_set_500.jpg

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    It's not just sandpaper you need. You also need a very flat surface to attach that sandpaper to.
    Is this for a backpacking kit?

The reason I dislike pull-through sharpeners is because they have a set V angle. If the knife you're sharpening has a matching edge angle, it'll work. If not, you're probable messing up the blade, adding a micro-bevel, and will eventually need a real sharpening job. Also, what if you have a chisel, hollow, or convex ground edge? Pull-through sharpeners are useless on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom