• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Anybody have a local source for large-diameter (8 or 10ft) corrugated steel pipe?

Thinking 20ft length. Planning to compare cost/benefits of fabricating a pipe shelter with reinforcing a 20' shipping container. Speaking of shipping containers, anybody have a local source for those?

Theoretical shelter would be installed DIY into the side of a hill, either here or in WV.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    There are company's all over Baltimore / Brandywine ( everywhere ) that sell conex containers. I own a few 20 footers and I go and pick what container I want to buy before I pay for it. I look for holes and I get locked inside of it to check to see if the doors seal tight. I moved my shop and all of my gun / reloading from Md to Indiana in two 20' conex boxes.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    van dalen industries sells them in southern md, nick van dalen is the owner. i have purchased some from him. there is also a company in the 7th district that rents and sells them but i dont have my numbers here at the house.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    van dalen industries sells them in southern md, nick van dalen is the owner. i have purchased some from him. there is also a company in the 7th district that rents and sells them but i dont have my numbers here at the house.

I tried to work with that man from down in the 7th, I wanted him to move my 20 footers from my place to Cullins Trucking yard. I was too much work for him to do.
    His place is down the road from the ball field. I can't think of his name either.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    There are company's all over Baltimore / Brandywine ( everywhere ) that sell conex containers. I own a few 20 footers and I go and pick what container I want to buy before I pay for it. I look for holes and I get locked inside of it to check to see if the doors seal tight. I moved my shop and all of my gun / reloading from Md to Indiana in two 20' conex boxes.

Thanks Guys!

Been searching the internets ... keep ending up in China. :o

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    united rentals sell them also but they are kinda high

Everything for sale at UR is negotiable. Salesmen work on a commission somewhere around 7% for used equipment sales but the sale has to be approved by the branch manager. Skip the salesmen and try to get straight to the BM in person, but be prepared to buy then and there if you're going to take up the BM's time. They usually don't have time for shenanigans.

Best time to buy is towards the end of the month, but no closer than three days before month end. The three day thing is the time it takes the paperwork to go through the process to hit the books for that month. January and May historically tend to be bad months, which means scrambling for every deal towards the end, which means deeper deals.

Realize though, that UR is not really in the conex business, so availability isn't going to be great.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    K&K Storage 410-574-5550
    They sell and rent any size container.
    Real good folks. I used them for a rental and by far the cheapest rental and delivery fees in the MD and PA area!

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    K&K Storage 410-574-5550
    They sell and rent any size container.
    Real good folks. I used them for a rental and by far the cheapest rental and delivery fees in the MD and PA area!

Thanks! Have a quote request in.

that will be an expensive piece of pipe just in trucking charges....

Belair Road Supply in White Plains is the local dealer for http://www.lane-enterprises.com/

Thanks! Will contact them tomorrow.

Ref trucking charges, will probably haul it myself. Darwin award? ;)

out of curiosity, how much does new and used shipping containers usually cost?

Low as $1600 (20ft) used, don't know about shipping, waiting for a local quote.

Did you try triton metals down in wildwood?

They sell materials??

I'd probably walk out of there owing them $100K for a custom bunker ... :innocent0

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    They used to do all kinds of crap. They did go full retard on the preper gravy train but if they build that kind of crap, I'm sure they can get you a drum. And don't pay anybody a bunch of money for welding steel, if you got 220, I got you covered.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    On second thought, why not look for a used dry van trailer or even a reefer unit. 20' is hard to come by but 40's aren't. Roll it where you want, take the running gear off and sell that for scrap.

Brandywine might have one in your price range....Start looking around backyards too.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    A trailer will not take the loads a Conex Container will take. Plus the floors in a Conex are pressure treated for insects. My first two were pressure treated with Chlordane. . I paid around 1,200 for both of mine delivered in So Md, but that's been a few years. I paid almost 2,000 for a twenty footer last summer in Southern Indiana and that included a 2 hour one way delivery charge.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I bought a 20' about 8 years ago for $600.00 from a guy who bought it to store stuff in and then wanted to get rid of it. If you have room you can almost get a 40' for a little more than a 20'. People started relizing 5-6 years ago that you could buy a 20' container cheaper than you could buy a 20' shed. And you can't hurt the container if you try. I have a friend that has 4 of them stacked 2 high and wide that he keeps his classic cars in. Hagerty LOVES him. Even if a tree falls on it it will barely dent it. I know this from experience.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    A trailer will not take the loads a Conex Container will take. Plus the floors in a Conex are pressure treated for insects. My first two were pressure treated with Chlordane. . I paid around 1,200 for both of mine delivered in So Md, but that's been a few years. I paid almost 2,000 for a twenty footer last summer in Southern Indiana and that included a 2 hour one way delivery charge.
    Well, that would depend on the trailer. There are a few sitting idle around the area. I have gotten them for free (hence the backyard hint), just had to move.

May want to check on Wheatley's tack shop. They had one he was using for feed storage and has since closed the business (family is across the street).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom