• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    What is a hairline cylinder ring?

It shows that a single action revolver was cycled improperly. It usually happens when someone lets down the hammer from the loading notch and then hand indexes the cylinder, causing the bolt to drag against the cylinder as it goes into its notch. The proper way to do it is to cock the hammer all the way back, and then to lower it. That way the action indexes the cylinder properly without dragging the bolt against it. Another reason for it is that some people carry a single action with all six chambers loaded, with the hammer down and firing pin resting between two cartridge rims (not the recommended method). To do that, the hammer is pulled back just enough to lower the bolt, the cylinder is turned half a position, the hammer is lowered, and then the cylinder is manually turned (with the bolt dragging) until the firing pin clicks between two rims. While it won't usually damage the gun or impede function (unless the edges of the cylinder notches get rounded), it is a cosmetic blemish.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It shows that a single action revolver was cycled improperly. It usually happens when someone lets down the hammer from the loading notch and then hand indexes the cylinder, causing the bolt to drag against the cylinder as it goes into its notch. The proper way to do it is to cock the hammer all the way back, and then to lower it. That way the action indexes the cylinder properly without dragging the bolt against it. Another reason for it is that some people carry a single action with all six chambers loaded, with the hammer down and firing pin resting between two cartridge rims (not the recommended method). To do that, the hammer is pulled back just enough to lower the bolt, the cylinder is turned half a position, the hammer is lowered, and then the cylinder is manually turned (with the bolt dragging) until the firing pin clicks between two rims. While it won't usually damage the gun or impede function (unless the edges of the cylinder notches get rounded), it is a cosmetic blemish.

That's fine for Colt (or copies like Uberti) but completely incorrect for how Ruger single action revolvers work. Ruger SA revolvers intentionally drag the cylinder stop on the cylinder to maintain timing. A Ruger SA without the drag line means it: 1) is unfired or 2) has been Bubba'd and should be avoided.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    When I pull the hammer back, the cylinder stop pin (correct name) pulls out, then the cylinder rotates, it does not come back down until its in the ramp grove.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That's fine for Colt (or copies like Uberti) but completely incorrect for how Ruger single action revolvers work. Ruger SA revolvers intentionally drag the cylinder stop on the cylinder to maintain timing. A Ruger SA without the drag line means it: 1) is unfired or 2) has been Bubba'd and should be avoided.

Mine (unmodified 3 screw) drops the bolt right onto the end beinning of the bevel in front of the cylinder notch. It doesn't continually drag the bolt over the cylinder. Do modern 2 screw Ruger SA's drag the bolt?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Mine (unmodified 3 screw) drops the bolt right onto the end beinning of the bevel in front of the cylinder notch. It doesn't continually drag the bolt over the cylinder. Do modern 2 screw Ruger SA's drag the bolt?

My 1955 Single Six is just as you describe.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    My grandfather died last year and one of the guns he left me was a ruger single six. I remember him teaching me to shoot on it many years ago.

Unfortunately we have not been able to find it in his house. It wasn't with the rest of his guns, so its either stashed away somewhere or lost :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom