• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I was looking at the SR1911 and the Range Officer when I was looking for my first 1911 as well. I bought the SR1911 because thats the one I found for the best price ($635) during the summer of 2013 and the Range Officers were running $150+ above that. Having said that a Range Officer will be my next 1911. You can't go wrong with either one.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I have both the Ruger SR1911 CMD (Commander) in .45 and S/A Range Officer Compact in 9mm. Both are outstanding guns.

It is not on your list and if you look around should be able find one close to you budget, S&W E series. It has run 100% for me, outstanding factory trigger. Couple folks who have fondled have been very impressed. Couple years ago w/ my free state membership had them clean as it was included with the membership so took advantage. Smith came out a said it was the first e series he had taken down aND was very impressed. Finish and machining are that of much higher priced example.

I've got the full-sized E series, and it's great. I've got the RO, and it's great, too, but even after sending it back for fine-tuning, the trigger's still not up to the E series. Did I say they're both great guns?

I do know that the Ruger is 100% made in America, and has a lot of MIM parts. It has received outstanding reviews. The S/A is made in Brazil, and is made primarily out of forged steel. It is supposed to be an excellent choice for customizing. On par with Colt. I don't know much about the Remington.

Here's a great write up...
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/
    Or this.
    http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/04/12/1911-ratings-list/

Thanks for the links. Very informative.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Yeah there were at least two SR1911s for sale here at one point in the last week. Both were around $600. Makes me wonder if they are for sale because they aren't liked as much as it seems. Or it could be a complete coincidence.

Highly doubtful... The SR1911 is a sweet shooter... I have the full size and will be picking up the CMD as soon as the time out expires.

The full size shoots a tight POA group.

Also the RIA 1911 is getting great reviews from those who bought for the price and chose to stick with them. My cousin (Retired NJSP Lt.) recently bought a RIA Compact and he compared it to his SA full size. In his words... Re: the RIA, "I have a new favorite gun."

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sig actually builds a pretty good 1911. My biggest issue with mine is they couldn't get the firing pin strike centered. The beavertail isn't a high sweep contour but follows the GI A1 contour. They do have some MIM in them but that is no big deal. Forged frame and slide, trigger quality is typically decent, interface (sliding) surfaces deburred. Barrel fit is nice, POA/POI sight regulation is good. Good checkering on front strap and mainspring housing. Exterior fit and finish is good with exception to the frame around the top rear of the beavertail which could be better on a given gun, sometimes it is very good. I fitted a different beavertail since I didn't shoot well with the original and cut my groups in half.

I was feinin' for a Ruger SR1911. No one had any so I went with the Sig Nitron since I had always thought about getting the Sig, filled out paper work, waited 8 days went to pick it up. There was a Ruger in the show case. Debating renigging on the Sig and capturing the Ruger (I really like Ruger), I did a side by side comparison of both. The Sig won.

I still plan on getting a Ruger SR 1911 - the Sig isn't that good.

MEAT

May 3, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    What are some of the noticeable differences in a $500-600 1911 vs a $1500+ 1911? As someone who is also looking to one day soon purchase a 1911 and not having ever handled the more expensive ones, what is gained?

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    What are some of the noticeable differences in a $500-600 1911 vs a $1500+ 1911? As someone who is also looking to one day soon purchase a 1911 and not having ever handled the more expensive ones, what is gained?

Fit and finish. More time taken to make the gun better overall. (hand fitting depending on the gun/price range). Higher quality parts used. Tighter tolerances. More additional features (magwell, checkering on the gun, dehorning, better sights, grips, ect.)

Entry level 1911's tend to be more basic or have various compromises to meet their price points.

It kind of like comparing an entry level ar15 to higher end ar15's (Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, ect.) Except the 1911 benefits more form the additional money than ar15's do (it's easier to make a cheap ar15 better than it is a 1911)

MEAT

May 3, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you for the response, I really liked the ruger sr1911 I handled at the store, cant imagine what a $1500 1911 would feel like. Can one of the lower end models be upgraded or is the only way to get better fit and finish to buy a new gun?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Thank you for the response, I really liked the ruger sr1911 I handled at the store, cant imagine what a $1500 1911 would feel like. Can one of the lower end models be upgraded or is the only way to get better fit and finish to buy a new gun?

Yes and no. On a higher end gun the slide is fitted to the frame by machining them both until they fit near perfectly. If your gun is loose, you'd have to have a whole new slide fitted to the gun. That would require expensive smith work.

Now in regard to triggers, hammers, barrels, springs, safeties, etc, those are drop in parts that can be tuned for better performance.

If you want a high end 1911, in the long run it'd be more cost effective to buy a known custom brand than to have a lower end gun tuned and built. Plus you get the reputation of that shop behind the gun. You can send a Wilson or a Nighthawk back for service because they built the gun- it wasn't heavily modified by a 3rd party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom