• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    This is my favorite knife, also my sharpest.
    f5af7699132ef55137b68ff45114cd82.jpg

That's a good looking knife.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Got this from an inlaw that had just passed, handle was missing so I replaced it with a 1 inch threaded steel pipe and cap, pinned it and wrapped with 550 cord. Made a Leather cover out of a old weight belt. It is strong and sharp.

Attachments

• Hand Axe cover.jpg
      Hand Axe cover.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 376
    • handle axe.jpg
      handle axe.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 335
    Last edited:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I don't see a lot of Benchmade Osbourne 940's. I am a newbie to the premium knife world, and am hoping I made the right decision. I bought the Osbourne 940-1 with the combo edge. Doing the job I do, seat belts are a real concern. I paid $220 for the knife, and another 5 for my name inscribed into it. I used the public servant discount, offered by Benchmade. Did I do ok? I'm starting to get buyers remorse.:ohnoes::omg:

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't see a lot of Benchmade Osbourne 940's. I am a newbie to the premium knife world, and am hoping I made the right decision. I bought the Osbourne 940-1 with the combo edge. Doing the job I do, seat belts are a real concern. I paid $220 for the knife, and another 5 for my name inscribed into it. I used the public servant discount, offered by Benchmade. Did I do ok? I'm starting to get buyers remorse.:ohnoes::omg:

I haven't seen the 940-1 anywhere for less than about 240. So you didn't get badly used.

I haven't handled the -1; I have a 942 with the aluminum handle, which I like above all other EDC knives, at this time, for my purposes. Real-world one hand operation, enough cut for what I need it for, Benchmade quality, good feel and balance, I see no downside at all, except the difficulty in replacing it. (I really prefer the black anodised scales over the green. I figure if I'm paying three figures for a knife, I should get what I want. But 942s are scarce, it seems).

Don't waste time feeling bad. It's a great knife, and if you don't like it, you can sell it to someone else with little trouble.

FWIW, it seems a little small for cutting through seat belts. I suspect there are better options, if that's the primeary mission.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I haven't seen the 940-1 anywhere for less than about 240. So you didn't get badly used.

I haven't handled the -1; I have a 942 with the aluminum handle, which I like above all other EDC knives, at this time, for my purposes. Real-world one hand operation, enough cut for what I need it for, Benchmade quality, good feel and balance, I see no downside at all, except the difficulty in replacing it. (I really prefer the black anodised scales over the green. I figure if I'm paying three figures for a knife, I should get what I want. But 942s are scarce, it seems).

Don't waste time feeling bad. It's a great knife, and if you don't like it, you can sell it to someone else with little trouble.

FWIW, it seems a little small for cutting through seat belts. I suspect there are better options, if that's the primeary mission.
    Not with my name on it, lol.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Well I just checked the specs and that knife uses either S30V or S90V steel - both of which are excellent. I suspect (for that price) your knife has S90V - which is a super premium steel that keeps its edge for a very long time. As such - it can be difficult to sharpen; but just touch it up every once and you will be good.

It also uses the Benchmade axis lock, which a lot of people rave about. Looks like that knife (with S90V) goes for like $240+. I think you did just fine.

If someone gave me a knife like that - I would be thrilled.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

You did well. Wish I'd have known you were looking for one, I had a numbered first production I just sold you could have had for the same money. ;) And no, you won't find that knife much cheaper than that, from an authorized dealer anyway.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Pretty new to the knife game. Always had a few knives for hunting/fishing/camping, but just now beginning to see the huge market out there for high quality knives. This is my ESEE 4 I recently picked up. Love it!

Attachments

• esee 4.jpg
      esee 4.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 291

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The longer I have my Benchmade 710 the less I like it. I love the blade shape, size and feel but the opening and closing is terrible. It is constantly hard to open and if closed with force the blade tends to pop back out of the handle. I just got it back from Benchmade because I thought maybe the axis springs were weak but the hitch in opening is worse and the closing is no better. I'm going to tear it apart myself and see if I can get it the way I want it. If not it's going up for sale. Pity cuz I was really hoping to like it.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Pretty new to the knife game. Always had a few knives for hunting/fishing/camping, but just now beginning to see the huge market out there for high quality knives. This is my ESEE 4 I recently picked up. Love it!

You'll love that ESEE. Everything they make is top notch. An ESEE 4 is my hunting knife. Also check out the Ka-Bar Becker series. Another set of great knives.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    You'll love that ESEE. Everything they make is top notch. An ESEE 4 is my hunting knife. Also check out the Ka-Bar Becker series. Another set of great knives.

Yeah, I can already tell that this thing will be my go to knife for a long time. I currently use a Havalon for hunting/skinning but this ESEE will help out big time with separating joints and heavier duty game processing. I'm also interested in their smaller knives (Izula/Candiru). Thanks for the tip about the Becker Series! I'll check em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom