• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    I'm currently building a suppressed 9mm SBR. Because of the laws I'm going with a 10.5 inch barrel. I'd prefer a 5 inch barrel, but oh well. Do factory 147gr stay subsonic most of the time? I reload 9mm, but I like to supplement with factory ammo from time to time.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    With 9mm you get almost no increse in velocity after the first 5 inches. If you load your own then check your manuals, there are a lot of options for subsonic 9mm.

I'm new to reloading, but I'm working on a 124gr subsonic round for my 10.5" AR. I'm also thinking about using lighter bullets.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why would you use lighter?

With subsonic, you are limited in velocity by the speed of sound. To to increase energy/momentum, you need to go HEAVIER for the bullet.

One uses light bullets in a firearm to increase the velocity. And since the energy is based on velocity squared, the energy goes up faster with increased velocity, than it goes down with decreased bullet weight.

So going from 147 gr to 124 gr (at the same velocity) you lose 16% of your muzzle energy

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

With subsonic, you are limited in velocity by the speed of sound. To to increase energy/momentum, you need to go HEAVIER for the bullet.

One uses light bullets in a firearm to increase the velocity. And since the energy is based on velocity squared, the energy goes up faster with increased velocity, than it goes down with decreased bullet weight.

So going from 147 gr to 124 gr (at the same velocity) you lose 16% of your muzzle energy

I thought it was 3% :innocent0

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    With 9mm you get almost no increse in velocity after the first 5 inches. If you load your own then check your manuals, there are a lot of options for subsonic 9mm.

I'm new to reloading, but I'm working on a 124gr subsonic round for my 10.5" AR. I'm also thinking about using lighter bullets.

I don't know about that. There is a reason body armor ratings account for 9mm out of a pistol and 9mm out of a subgun. That extra length can add 150-200fps. I don't think you would want to get shot in a 9mm handgun rated vest (Level II) with a long submachine gun length barrel (would want a Level III-A).

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Go lighter because 124gr costs less. There is a lot of load data for subsonic 124gr 9mm. You also use less powder.

I am mostly going to load for plinking so I can only kill paper so much.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

BTW: Not trying to be preachy on this. I am trying to learn more about this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom