• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I know they aren't required for interstate transport, but some people advise it as a hedge towards lessening the potential time involved in a LEO interaction.

Anyone filing 5320.20s for taking their cans out of state?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've never filed for one on a can.

I don't personally see a reason to do it, but have seen enough discussion in my casual research that I thought it worthwhile to see what others do.

My photocopy of my tax stamp is sufficient as far as I can see and a LEO's lack of familiarity of Class III law shouldn't warrant the additional PITA factor of dealing with yet another .gov form.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Yup…I should have been clear that I meant for temporary transport out of state.

I got that part. I was just indicating that the only time I did a form 20 for a silencer was when I moved, not when traveling out of state.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Same here. I have the same few to submit every year for a couple of places I plan on bringing the cans/sbrs. I think it helps everything look nice and tidy should I need them.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I know they aren't required for interstate transport, but some people advise it as a hedge towards lessening the potential time involved in a LEO interaction.

Anyone filing 5320.20s for taking their cans out of state?

Nope, and I only exclusively shoot mine out of State.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Not required for temporary transportation. From ATF Form 5320.20, Instructions:
    "a. A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR, a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form."

No mention of suppressors

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I see no reason to do so. I do not know of a regulation that states this is necessary. I've never had any trouble, but that doesn't mean the next time, I won't be in a sheriff's office for the better part of a weekend, trying to convince him of the law.

I know that's the exact answer you were looking for, that's what I'm here for. ;)

Jim Smith

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not required, so you don't do it. Simple as that.

What examples have you read, or are worrying you about transporting suppressors?

Exactly as stated in the OP, that some postulate that having the document may lessen the time that it takes to clear things up in the event of a LEO interaction where the officer or his superiors may not be as well-versed in Class III law as they should be.

As also stated in the OP, I'm not necessarily a subscriber to that thought process because I don't want to deal with another piece of paper nor do I necessarily want to be further embroiled with F-Troop than is necessary.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Exactly as stated in the OP, that some postulate that having the document may lessen the time that it takes to clear things up in the event of a LEO interaction where the officer or his superiors may not be as well-versed in Class III law as they should be.

As also stated in the OP, I'm not necessarily a subscriber to that thought process because I don't want to deal with another piece of paper nor do I necessarily want to be further embroiled with F-Troop than is necessary.

If they're unwise enough to the laws pertaining to Title II firearms, then that little copy of you Form 4 is not going to help much.

Basically, if they're smart enough to know you need a 5320.20 for some Title II firearms, then they're smart enough to know suppressors are exempt. If anything, keep copies of the annotated and regulatory code on your phone. That's what I've done with many MD and federal laws.

Anyway, I'm not sweating it, and I don't think anyone else should either. Just keep a copy of your Form 4 when traveling with your suppressor.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Looks like a good spot for a poll.
    Do you believe an ounce of prevention is worth blah, blah, ...and yes officer my bullets are green and legal ... here's the atf rule book stating they are exempt, whoops they removed that exemption in this release but you knew that of course.
    No offense meant to anyone ... Still working on coffee
    Hoping it warms up I have about 1k rnds of brass under snow I have to find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom