• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I sold a scope for my dad and he wants to use the money for a 308 bolt gun. He has $450 to spend on the rifle. If it has glass that's better but not necessary. Want good accuracy. We shoot at peacemaker so up to 300 yards at steel. He also wants it to be shorter barrel and threaded. Used is good. If it's a little higher than the budget that's not a deal breaker. He has some trade stuff. He was looking at the mvp patrol as it uses m14 mags which he has a bunch of.

If you have one for sale Let me know. He is an md resident.

To recap:
    450 ish with or without glass.
    16"-18" threaded barrel
    308 win
    Bolt gun (he has a saiga and m1a already)

So what says mds? Any links to for sale

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    No doubt Savge Hog Hunter.

I think i paid 400 18inch med weight threaded barrel. Tack driver.

You arent far away you can try mine if you like.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    No doubt Savge Hog Hunter. I think i paid 400 18inch med weight threaded barrel. Tack driver. You arent far away you can try mine if you like.

Thanks man. Just told high rock to order one for him. Part of the reason it was on the short list was your recommendation last time we traded.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I got one from Gary a couple of years ago, you'll like it.
    If you hadn't ordered I got an email from CDNN Sports today, they have the Ruger American in Cammo syn for $320 with a 20" barrel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you think you might want to customize later, I would stick with Remington 700 base or Savage.

More aftermarket parts for those two platforms.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    I have the MVP in 5.56NATO and loved it so much I sold my Ruger American .308 and ordered the MVP in .308 as well. BTW...I was getting MOA with the 5.56. Picking up the MVP .308 in a week or so. Then I'll have one in each Cal.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have the MVP in 5.56NATO and loved it so much I sold my Ruger American .308 and ordered the MVP in .308 as well. BTW...I was getting MOA with the 5.56. Picking up the MVP .308 in a week or so. Then I'll have one in each Cal.

You need to put up a range report thread here when you've taken her through the paces! Lot of interest in these rifles. :thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No doubt Savge Hog Hunter.

I think i paid 400 18inch med weight threaded barrel. Tack driver.

You arent far away you can try mine if you like.

The Savage Hog Hunter looks like a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice rifle!

I'm looking at one, but, in .338 Federal.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it, is the blind magazine. :mad54:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst.../savage-11-hog-hunter-338-federal-bolt-action

Savage Axis in .308: (I won one of these 2 weeks ago, at a Firehouse Raffle.) Looking forward to seeing how this one shoots!
    http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...31/savage-axis-xp-package-gun-308-win-w-scope

Savage Axis II in .308:
    http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...5/savage-axis-ii-xp-308-win-with-3-9x40-scope

Look at the Rem 700 SPS in 308 20" threaded bull barrel with a rubberized Hoge stock

I've got the SPS AAC-SD and it is a TACK DRIVER!!!!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Look at the Rem 700 SPS in 308 20" threaded bull barrel with a rubberized Hoge stock
    Can that be had for $450? I was thinking that was in the $600s. It would be worth the extra money, undoubtedly, but it stretches the guy's budget.

Then again, something else to consider is the sheer volume of easily attainable aftermarket upgrades and accessories that can be had for the Remington 700 - triggers, rails, rings, stocks, bipods, etc - it's the Glock of the bolt rifle world....or maybe Glock should be compared to the Remington 700 due to the fact that the 700 has been the standard the others are compared to for much longer than Glock has been around.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Really? I know where I'm going to be on Black Friday! :party29:

Keep in mind that Dick's has the SPS in .308. It's NOT the SPS AAC-SD or even the 20" SPS.

A good friend of mine bought one, and it's a synthetic stocked .308 w/ 22" barrel. Period.
    Also note - this rifle had to go back to Remington. The bolt would not close on Remington or Winchester factory ammo.
    (Headspace was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.)

And yes, the SPS AAC-SD is $600+.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Keep in mind that Dick's has the SPS in .308. It's NOT the SPS AAC-SD or even the 20" SPS.

A good friend of mine bought one, and it's a synthetic stocked .308 w/ 22" barrel. Period.
    Also note - this rifle had to go back to Remington. The bolt would not close on Remington or Winchester factory ammo.
    (Headspace was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.)

And yes, the SPS AAC-SD is $600+.
    Wow - that's actually kind of scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom