Federal Hearing on Assault Weapon Ban in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    [URL="http://http://www.wbaltv.com/news/federal-court-to-hear-arguments-on-md-guncontrol-law/30812248"/URL]
    This may not work. I'm not very good at this.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    This was my post. Wonder if they'll approve it.

"The Second Amendment does not protect assault-style weapons and
    high-capacity magazines. It's certainly not what the framers of the
    Constitution intended when they drafted the Second Amendment." - Brian Frosh

Really???? Did the framers intend on the Internet, email, and social media to be protected by the First amendment...NO, but it still is.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Idiots like Frosh are easy to disprove, he obviously never heard of the Girandoni rifle from the late 1700's that had a 22 round magazine. Thomas Jefferson certainly knew about it!

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick

Really???? Did the framers intend on the Internet, email, and social media to be protected by the First amendment...NO, but it still is.

Nope they meant muskets. Yep, those of all standing armies. The weapons used by armies at the time. In terms of rapid reload and fire, the best wespon of its day. Yep, they meant the weapons the armies of Europe had. That is the concept missed by the anti crowd miss when they offer this argument. The weapons to put a militia on footing with standing armies. Further broken down to individuals .

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    "Thomas Jefferson's "ASSAULT RIFLE"

High-capacity magazine? Check.

Capable of firing 22 aimed shots in a minute? Check.

A military weapon? Check.

Manufactured during the American Revolutionary War? Check.

The Girandoni was a 22-shot, magazine-fed, nearly silent .46 caliber repeating rifle issued to elite Austrian troops from 1780-1815. Thomas Jefferson purchased two of these rifles, which he sent west with Lewis and Clark.

Remember it the next time some know-it-all-- says that the Founding Fathers only knew of muskets."

http://bearingarms.com/thomas-jeffersons-assault-rifle/

Jul 4, 2013
    "Lease restrictive means"

What does that mean?

Not sure if this is being facetious, but......"Least restrictive means" refers to the depth of review that a court gives a law that burdens individual rights. They look at the interest of the government and the way (means) they use to implement that interest. If the right that is burdened is a fundamental one, then the government must implement it in such a way that infringes upon the right the "least." Thus, if MD can achieve the goal of public safety through some other way that doesn't affect individual rights, an AWB is not the least restrictive way to achieve that goal and wouldn't be constitutional.

Unlikely that the 4th Circuit would give this case that high a level of review after Wollard though.

IANAL

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ef Frosh - obviously he has not read "Heller" - this is quoted directly from the Heller decision:

Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modernforms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35–36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.

I can't seem to access the comments portion of the site - if someone wants to take the quote from above and add it to the conversation, be my guest.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Frosh has read Heller.

He is not an idiot is a propagadist... just not a very good or imaginative one.

Every time he speaks we gain an advantage.

But no one other than us is listening

Makeing fun of Frosh..is high on my agenda.. but we need to control the message..

As a public figure his competence is a matter of public importance... ;)

Feb 28, 2013

No, the 2A is only for hunting and shooting at orange disks.:rolleyes:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The argument I would make, and which I think would be the best one possible in this circumstance for Maryland, is that Maryland already had a system in place that burdened the purchasers rights, by requiring ALL purchasers of new and used "assault weapons" and handguns to complete a Form 77r and go through an extensive background check of 17 databases. While an infringement on the rights of the citizens, it was working. There had been no epidemic of crimes committed with "assault weapons" and there had been no mass shooting in Maryland with an "assault weapon".

I think this is a winning argument. What was in place prior to the ban was working, even though it was an infringement. So, there is no need for further infringement because of "what might happen", but had never happened under the less infringing registration/background check law.

As far as I am concerned, the citizens of the nation should be able to have the exact same bearable arms as the military. The 2nd Amendment was not for hunting, and it is my opinion that it is not for self defense either. It was there just in case something like the Revolutionary War was ever needed in the future against a tyrannical government. To me, this is what the 2nd Amendment is really about. So, I am in favor of citizens having the ability to buy an M-16, M249, and whatever else the military uses as bearable arms. Too bad they used "bear" in the 2nd Amendment. This is where I think the Founding Fathers made a mistake. They should have allowed cannons/bombs/artillery too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom