• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    Greetings everyone.

I am currently a Massachusetts resident, and gun owner; there is a high probability that I could be relocating to Maryland in 2014.

At this time, I own three handguns: Ruger SR22, Sig Sauer p239 9mm, and Sig Sauer 1911 Stainless.

I am a member of the NRA and GOAL (Gun Owner's Action League of Massachusetts).

Obviously, recently enacted gun control laws has made me worry. That said, Massachusetts was previously rated a worse state for gun control than Maryland, but that rating was given before the new laws were in effect.

So, my question to those out there that have a good grasp on the new laws, what kind of issues could I run into upon moving? If I ever want to get a long gun, should I buy one while a resident of Massachusetts?

Thankfully, I can leave my guns in Massachusetts with a family member who is licensed, so I am prepared for a non-instantaneous transition. Trying to get information from the rest of the internet, as well as an inquiry to the MD NRA, have not been helpful.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Ultimately, you outta contact the Maryland State Attorney General's office, which is located within the Maryland State Police HQ in Baltimore ((410)653-4228). Unlike most of Maryland's officials, these guys are generally very well informed and helpful. That said, I'd try to get whatever you're told in writing so you'll have something to present to the uninformed cop or bureaucrat who may confront you.

architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    With regards to 2A issues, yes, I'd rather not move to MD. That said, it's slightly out of my control.

Long gun as in rifle.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    If you didn't own a long gun that is MD banned before 10/1, you can't bring it into the state, so any other long gun that you wish to buy can be purchased here cash and carry once you move into the state.

The MSP require you to pay a fee and register all of your Regulated Firearms (including handguns) within a certain amount of time of moving here. You go onto the MSP website and input the handgun information, it is pretty simple. There is a seeming omission of a penalty from that portion of the law (requiring new resident registration), but it is part of the new law.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Ah, this is helpful.

Now, if only someone could convince my girlfriend to consider VA instead... problem is she works in DC and VA could make her commute terrible.

(and no, i won't be getting a new girlfriend.. the guys at the SigTalk forum suggested that plenty)

Northern VA can be a closer/easier commute than many parts of MD to DC.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Ah, this is helpful.

Now, if only someone could convince my girlfriend to consider VA instead... problem is she works in DC and VA could make her commute terrible.

(and no, i won't be getting a new girlfriend.. the guys at the SigTalk forum suggested that plenty)

Her drive from MD. won't be any better. There are plenty of places in Va, that are right across the bridge from D.C. It just depends n what your looking for. If I may ask, where in D.C. will she be working?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Ah, this is helpful.

Their ain't no easy commute to DC!!!

Where in Maryland are you looking to move to? Make sure public transportation is readily accessible to where you live. Frederick and south offer Commuter Buses, the MARC Train, and Metro. B'more and south offer only the MARC Train and Metro.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    You had better figure the commute out before the move down here.

I work in down town DC about two blocks from the White House. My commute in the morning on a commuter (greyhound-type) bus is on average one hour, 15 minutes in the morning. 1.5 hours in the evening. All of that for a quiet neighborhood; 2,300sqft house and a fenced-in 1-acre yard for our dog. Well and an oversized carport for my boat.

When I lived in Alexandria VA, it was a 45-60 minute commute on the Metro every morning. I had a 1,200 square foot apartment in a very nice part of town.

My commute from Springfield was about the same, because I did not need to switch trains. The neighborhood was going to hell in a hand basket so I moved to Alexandria.

Some of the guys here can tell you about the northern route commutes into DC. It would be good to ask. I would hate for you to sign a one year lease in South East DC because it was a short commute.

Ask about the commute, ask about the neighborhoods. A few block around here in some area can make a huge difference in your quality of life after work and on the weekends.

PS: My White Plains, MD home will be for rent (possible sale) as of March 1., I'm closing on a house in Virginia and we are moving on out.

Last edited:

architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    Her drive from MD. won't be any better. There are plenty of places in Va, that are right across the bridge from D.C. It just depends n what your looking for. If I may ask, where in D.C. will she be working?

she works near the very north part of DC, and thus, lives near there on the MD side. Her commute right now is under 10 minutes.

architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    You had better figure the commute out before the move down here.

I work in down town DC about two blocks from the White House. My commute in the morning on a commuter (greyhound-type) bus is on average one hour, 15 minutes in the morning. 1.5 hours in the evening. All of that for a quiet neighborhood; 2,300sqft house and a fenced-in 1-acre yard for our dog. Well and an oversized carport for my boat.

When I lived in Alexandria VA, it was a 45-60 minute commute on the Metro every morning. I had a 1,200 square foot apartment in a very nice part of town.

My commute from Springfield was about the same, because I did not need to switch trains. The neighborhood was going to hell in a hand basket so I moved to Alexandria.

Some of the guys here can tell you about the northern route commutes into DC. It would be good to ask. I would hate for you to sign a one year lease in South East DC because it was a short commute.

Ask about the commute, ask about the neighborhoods. A few block around here in some area can make a huge difference in your quality of life after work and on the weekends.

PS: My White Plains, MD home will be for rent (possible sale) as of March 1., I'm closing on a house in Virginia and we are moving on out.

I've already told her that DC is absolutely out of the picture... which came as a disappointment in some ways... DC is crazy stupid expensive to live.

i'm still working on my relocation plans, including job finding.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    Hey, welcome to the forums. I too am a Ma$$hole transplant, so I can understand a lot of your concerns. One of my buds is a NRA instructor up there, so I'm "kinda' well versed" in the differences you'll see. Where are you moving from?

"Most" of your rifles should be ok, as well as your pistols. Check out the link you saw. If you want an AR, buy it before you move. Same with 30 rd mags.

The good news is: You can buy a Glock down here!

The bad news is: You're going to have to give up your license/permit down here. EVERY handgun purchase is an independent review of your ability to own, and (depending on where you buy) it could take MONTHS before you're allowed to pick it up...

architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    Not particularly interested in owning a Glock. I do like my Sigs very much. Wouldn't mind a Springfield armory 1911, which I can't get up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If she works in the northern part of DC, unfortunately MD prob is your best bet.

MD does require you to register your firearms you bring in. I believe you have 90 days to do this, so you can bring your guns when you move.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think MA is stricter on purchase than MD.

MA has some dumb stuff like arsinal licenses, we don't.

You can bring magazines over 10 rounds, just can't buy them in MD. I think MA has a 10 round law too.

architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    If she works in the northern part of DC, unfortunately MD prob is your best bet.

MD does require you to get an HQL to register your firearms you bring in. I believe you have 60 days to do this, so you can bring your guns when you move.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think MA is stricter on purchase than MD.

MA has some dumb stuff like arsinal licenses, we don't.

You can bring magazines over 10 rounds, just can't buy them in MD. I think MA has a 10 round law too.

Generally speaking, it's not a huge difference. Except for this registration crap. Massachusetts is notoriously slow in processing anything related to civilians owning firearms (e.g., LTC renewals are supposed to be responded to by the state within 40 days, but it's taking upwards of 3-6 months)... is MD like that?

seems like the safe thing to do is call the state police and get something in writing.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    MD does require you to get an HQL to register your firearms you bring in. I believe you have 60 days to do this, so you can bring your guns when you move.

Are you sure about that? I have not heard that, and it would seem to go against COMAR and the Code.

Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person shall possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before the person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun.

An out of stater is not purchasing, renting, or receiving a handgun, so no HQL should be necessary. Again, what is the penalty for failing to register when moving into the state?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    seems like the safe thing to do is call the state police and get something in writing.

Good luck with that. I just got off the phone with Licensing Division five minutes ago (on a firearm issue) and they are just as confused as we are on certain portions of the law. They also HATE putting anything in writing. Not to mention a trooper's email is pretty useless if you end up going to court.

architect323

Jan 7, 2014
    So basically:
    1. Close my eyes
    2. Aim, and
    3. Hope???

These new laws are like the ACA... "We need to pass it to find out what's in it," but nobody knows yet...

Fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom