• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    The phoenix Hp22 is a fun to shoot, quality pistol. Maybe one too many safeties, but still a good gun and I like the interchangeable barrels. I can't see the HP25 being any worse. Why are you taking your anger out on that?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The phoenix Hp22 is a fun to shoot, quality pistol. Maybe one too many safeties, but still a good gun and I like the interchangeable barrels. I can't see the HP25 being any worse. Why are you taking your anger out on that?
    I personally don't care whether it's on the roster or not. I am saying that putting a SNS (and the HP25A certainly is) on the roster is a debacle given its original legislative intent.

Read this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/07/us/maryland-orders-ban-on-8-handguns.html

The Maryland Handgun Roster Board, a nine-member panel, has been working for about a year to compile a list of handguns that meet the criteria of a law passed last year aimed at banning the cheap, low-caliber weapons commonly called Saturday night specials.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    You're missing the historical context. The roster board was created to ban inexpensive cheaply made pistols (Saturday Night Specials), such as the HP25A. Other states have laws that don't let you sell pistols with a low enough melting point. Focusing on whether this thing is 100% safe or not is missing the point. You'll notice the complete lack of other ultra-cheap .25ACP and .32ACP guns on the roster... that's not a coincidence.

Saying that is elitist and wrong, even if there is some truth to it. The Ban was worded to include dangerous pistols that were both cheap and of poor construction/ safety, not price alone. This is why certain derringers without trigger guards don't pass, even though they are of high quality and price.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    misc.%20pics%20618.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Saying that is elitist and wrong, even if there is some truth to it. The Ban was worded to include dangerous pistols that were both cheap and of poor construction/ safety, not price alone. This is why certain derringers without trigger guards don't pass, even though they are of high quality and price.
    See the quote from the NYT above. I agree that they're also empowered to ban "dangerous" guns, but the SNS thing was just as important.

You people are driving me ****ing crazy with your inability to distinguish between me (correctly) giving the original intent of the legislation and me agreeing with the original intent of the legislation. I can understand the idea behind laws I don't agree with! YOU GUYS SHOULD TRY IT SOMETIME. :P

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Just reads like gun grabbing to me. A earlier version of SB281 that didn't get elitists all up and crazy cause they don't slum.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just reads like gun grabbing to me. A earlier version of SB281 that didn't get elitists all up and crazy cause they don't slum.
    Yes, it was intended to do exactly that. And now it has literally done the opposite of what it was intended to do. Such was my point.

Diek

Feb 13, 2015
    Baltimore
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but does being on the gun roster make it legal or illegal? Nothing seems straight forward about the way they present the information in their spread sheets or on the website other than when it explicit says banned or not banned

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but does being on the gun roster make it legal or illegal? Nothing seems straight forward about the way they present the information in their spread sheets or on the website other than when it explicit says banned or not banned

In order to purchase a handgun in Maryland, it must be ON the list as approved by the board.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The Glock 42 story was more of a one-off with them. (I am not at liberty to disclose the story I was told about it, unfortunately. SECRET SQUIRRELS UNITE.)

The issue the Board had was that, after firing, the firing pin protruded from the breach face. Glock has to send a rep to explain that happens with all Glocks...

Who submitted the FNS9C? Why didn't they put on the petition the FNS40C as well?

I know you can submit several calibers and "similar" firearms under the same petition with varying calibers.

Look at the 229 submission...which was submitted the way it was because the Sig called the 229 15 different names.

I submitted a petition for the 9C, that also included the 40C. Marlene Jenkins told me that she already had the 9C petition and representative sample, so my petition would be put aside, and that the 40C would be added to the petition she had. That does not appear to have happened, and she has not responded to my email as of yet, either. It would be a simple caliber/model addition, it would just add time, which is annoying.

No, the Roster does not have that statutory authority. They think they do, though.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Shouldn't people of moderate and low income have the same 2A rights as everyone?

One argument against the HQL is the cost and time burden it imposes on, e.g., the single mother who's trying to support and protect her family and herself. Or the young, otherwise qualified person who's just getting started in life and has other expenses.

Lower cost, safe guns have the same utility and market as lower cost tennis shoes, cars, or anything else. People shouldn't have to be rich, or even middle income, to enjoy their constitutional rights.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Shouldn't people of moderate and low income have the same 2A rights as everyone?
    Lower cost, safe guns have the same utility and market as lower cost tennis shoes, cars, or anything else. People shouldn't have to be rich, or even middle income, to enjoy their constitutional rights.

Dangerous words there ... ```/sarcasm

remember:
    Freedom is Yang holy word

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I submitted a petition for the 9C, that also included the 40C. Marlene Jenkins told me that she already had the 9C petition and representative sample, so my petition would be put aside, and that the 40C would be added to the petition she had. That does not appear to have happened, and she has not responded to my email as of yet, either. It would be a simple caliber/model addition, it would just add time, which is annoying.

Thanks....hopefully she can help.

I was not thrilled with what her decision (whoever gave her that power) in regards to my 229 EE transfer however during all the communications she was very polite. I'm guessing she takes a beating considering how some of the folks here act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom