• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    They copied a blank form with their notary on it and had me sign that. There was no use in filling out the form before I arrived. They didn't charge extra for the photos or notary.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    UPDATE:
    3/10 - Received letter from Dept of Public Safety stating that my State criminal history check came back clean, and than the national check has been initiated. That was quick, as I did Livescan on 3/6

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    My Bad.....can't believe I did that

Ok, after submitting the envelope to the kind postal lady, which contained my meticulously filled out, checked, and rechecked permit application and Live Scan package - I returned home to see the check that was obviously supposed to be inside, sitting on my dining room table.

The application was mailed on Saturday, so it is possible it could be delivered to Pikesville on Monday. I will be at the Pikesville licensing office when they open to plead my case that they accept my check in person and reunite it with my application once it gets in. I can see a bureaucracy that may say, "too bad"....it will be sent back. But I am hoping not.

I am admitting my thick headed mistake on here only to be able to report back if they are in an accommodating mood for errors in the submission process, or not.

I am prepared for the "..or not". I hope the worst case is a return to sender and a resubmit with payment included. I hope the best case is they take my payment and let me leave feeling a lot better than when I came in.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Then I hand carried my permit to pikesville. The lady at the window was NOT in a good mood. She didn't say anything wrong, she just had an attitude.

I got the same impression at first!

But after we (me, Theresa, and her) talked for a couple minutes, her attitude seemed to change, and she was rather pleasent.
    :)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    c33m0n3y said:
    UPDATE:
    3/10 - Received letter from Dept of Public Safety stating that my State criminal history check came back clean, and than the national check has been initiated. That was quick, as I did Livescan on 3/6

I expect a pretty quick turnaround on mine too considering I've been a MD Designated Collector since 2004 and a C&R FFL since 2010. I'm anxious already, but also realistic that I may have to go the appeal route if necessary.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    16 May. Received call from MSP Corporal, stating he had concluded his investigation and wished to finalize and send on all the paperwork. It was mutually convenient, so after work, I went to the Barrack and was given my application packet, to include the results of all the MSP/FBI/ETC inquiries. Everything appeared to be appropriate and accurate. We reviewed several questions again, "Why do you feel you need to carry a handgun?" "What is the reason you are listing for wanting to carry a handgun? (Self-Defense and All Lawful Purposes)""When not on your person, is the handgun secured in a safe?" etc. It was a pleasant experience given the officer :party29:, despite being an over-reach of governmental power and infringement of my rights :sad20:
    07 May Received visit from an MSP Corporal. He attempted to call me earlier in the day and I did not receive the call/message. He apologized for the delay and stated that he'd been off for awhile. Anyway, this guy did my fingerprinting the LAST time I applied, but not this time. He is a good guy and a definite ally. He asked what appeared to be a few pat questions; do you keep your weapons secured in a gun safe? are they secured at all times?, etc. He stated that he'd only reached 1 of my references, (see below), and left messages for 2 but hadn't heard back. While he waited I texted those 2 and he actually spoke with one, so that got checked off of his list. While here, he was also good enough to interview my wife (any DV issues, any concerns about me having a HGP, anything else she wanted to tell him?). He did state that he'd likely have to get in touch again with me after he reaches all of my references, mostly to follow up if someone has any reservations about my having a HGP. He did make reference to the MSP's statement on the Woollard case and where they are at with it. He did not inquire why I wanted a HGP. ASIDE from the obvious issues we all have with the ludicrous hoops we are obligated to traverse in order to have a fundamental Right exercised, it was a pleasant experience. With a different officer it could have been QUITE different.
    11 Apr. One reference notified me that he'd spoken to MSP.
    30 Mar. Received notice that the Dept of Public Safety and Correctional Services received my request for criminal history record check and that it was completed. Looks like I beat the deadline with the fingerprint cards vs LiveScan thing.
    18 Mar. For those who might be in the same boat, only difficult access to LifeScan, the FBI will NO LONGER accept fingerprints on cards. I wonder if that'll affect my app. Time will tell.
    14 Mar. Check cashed by MSP
    10 Mar. Received confirmation postcard of delivery, signature of receiving MSP officer present for any class action suit...:innocent0
    8 march sent completed app overnight priority signature required. Receipt pending at time of post. I did receive rapid replies from both generic MSP email and a personal contact there answering small logistical questions. It was suggested I wait until next week to send, but no pushback or unprofessional behavior. I disregarded the advice.
    7 mar fingerprinted on cards provided by local MSP barrack as Livescan not available.

Last edited:

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Finished everything today, sounds like I got bent over at the MVA for the finger prints after reading others.

Passport Photo's Walgreens $9
    Notorized $6
    MVA fingerprint $57
    MSP App Fee $75
    Postal deliver $5 and change
    Total : $153 which is worth it to be in the class action lawsuit when we get denied! Woo Hoo Baby.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    03/12/12 LIVESCAN done.
    03/12/12 Application sent to MSP
    03/13/12 Received by MSP
    03/20/12 Check cashed

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Finished everything today, sounds like I got bent over at the MVA for the finger prints after reading others.

Notorized $6
    MVA fingerprint $57
    MSP App Fee $75
    Postal deliver $5 and change
    Total : $153 which is worth it to be in the class action lawsuit when we get denied! Woo Hoo Baby.

The look on your face when the permit comes in the mail-PRICELESS !

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    12 March. Live Scan
    12 March. Application in the mail.
    13 March. USPS delivers to MSP.
    14 March. Return Recipt received.
    20 March. Check Cashed
    20 March. Notice of clean record received.
    8 May. References Contacted
    8 May. Personal Phone Interview
    10 May. Wife Contacted
    11 May. FTF Interview, Bel Air Barracks

Wait.

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd

Notorized $6
    MVA fingerprint $57

Remember that the MVA fee includes the background check

I paid $76 at LiveScan for what cost you $72... but the one-stop-shop aspect was worth the little bit extra.

App in the mail (Express, delivery by noon tomorrow) as of 1:24 today!!

ECPDefense

Jun 30, 2010
    Cecil-Tucky
    8-Mar-12:
    Print and filled out app - Free
    Certified check from credit union - $75
    App notorized - Free at credit union
    Passport photos taken at Mailbox Plus - $12.00
    LiveScan at Absolute Investigative Services - $57.25
    Triple checked and scanned everything to be submitted - Free
    Mailed completed app package via USPS with delivery confirmation - $2.10

9-Mar-12: Delivery confirmed by USPS March 9, 1012 at 12:59 pm Pikesville, MD 21282

16-Mar-12: Received background check in mail -No criminal history! :-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom