• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mitchugh

Feb 3, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    mitchugh--

It is actually vintage stuff---real WWII bore cleaner. I have no idea what is in it, and probably don't want to know. My boss got a bunch of it someplace and we use it. I can tell you that it eats plastic if left on too long and that it is very unfriendly to many other materials (like your clothes). Its a white paste. If you can find it, use it.

On the belt feds (especially the Maxim) that get run with all corrosive ammo, we usually hose them with WD40 or PB Blaster prior to casing for transport (especially when it will be a day or two til we are back, like Knob Creek) and so far (knock wood) we have been ok.

Wow, sounds like battery acid to me. :)

Garand1957,
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I clean at the Range while the barrel is still hot. Patches of windex followed by some dry. I don't want any moisture in there either. Bolt face and firing pin gets done too. Than clean as normal as soon as I get home with Hoppes and oil.

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    The ww2 stuff is great.It will stain clothing,floors,table etc.Use gloves when using though.The stuff contains Benzine and creosote.Also smells somewhat medicinal.I think that's because it contains wintergreen.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    I've heard that if you have Dihydrogen Monoxide you can somehow use a microwave oven to properly make it thermally advanced. Is this true or do you still need to use the combustion method?

Yes , but not without a flux capacitor .

Attachments

• 41JjXESzfKL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
      41JjXESzfKL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
      9.8 KB · Views: 80

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Pretty much. All you're looking to do is flush out the salts that the corrosive ammo leaves behind in the bore. Ordinary water works just fine. I had to stop at a convenience store on the way home for a bottle of water to flush out my 91/30 because I forgot to bring the small spray bottle I normally keep in my range bag. After I'm done shooting the corrosive stuff, I spray liberally down the bore from the breech until it's running out of the muzzle. After, I spray a bit of CLP until that too is running out of the bore. Let it drip for a few seconds and toss it in the case. Once home, clean as normal.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom