• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A Smith can install a heat shield on pretty much any shotgun. You cut the mounting system off and spot weld it to the barrel. It will need refinishing but it will work perfectly and be durable.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    You just like taking the fun out of DIY. :D

He likes to scare people out of trying.

The fun is in DIY and knowing you did it yourself. Maybe something won't turn out 100%, but I'm ok with that when I know that I did it myself. And in the future I know how to do it better.

I built an AK. A buddy welded it up for me. He (and I) forgot to turn on the gas for his MIG... I Have pinholes in the side of that gun that we were never able to get out because of the original unshielded welding. The gun still runs like a raped ape and I know that I built it. The pinholes are just a reminder now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    He likes to scare people out of trying.

The fun is in DIY and knowing you did it yourself. Maybe something won't turn out 100%, but I'm ok with that when I know that I did it myself. And in the future I know how to do it better.

I built an AK. A buddy welded it up for me. He (and I) forgot to turn on the gas for his MIG... I Have pinholes in the side of that gun that we were never able to get out because of the original unshielded welding. The gun still runs like a raped ape and I know that I built it. The pinholes are just a reminder now.

No, I like to inform people of possible pitfalls. Im a perfectionist when it comes to my work. It seems many people are the same way about not having scratched, dented, and marred up firearms. It makes no sense to butcher up a gun when it can be avoided by simply asking people that have done it. There is no "fun" in a DIY that ends up looking like crap or at worse is dangerous.

I too make mistakes and mess up stuff, the difference between joe blow and I, is I FIX what I mess up, I learn from it, and I share it with others. I dont shrug and say "Its good enough" and tell others its good work.

Sorry, substandard Armorers/Smithing advice isnt my game. If I wouldnt do it to my gun, I wouldnt do it or advise a method to perform on someone elses gun.

I didnt try to scare anyone, I simply said if he had asked MDS he would have been informed. I mentioned that a Heat Shield can be welded, nowhere did I scare anyone.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I put one on my Maverick, pretty easy and fits good.

100_1600.jpg

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    I have a.mossberg 930 and the barrel had one locking ring that was installed crooked from factory i sent it to mossberg and they fixed even send me an extra gas piston and extra choke, i agree that a breech barrel is not the same as a normal plain barrel. Mossberg 590 is one thing and mossberg 590 tactical is another...... Anyways good luck, but i am very pleased with my mossberg and their customer service

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I believe the regular 590 isn't a heavy barrel. But door breachers and the 590A1 are. You could have called Mossberg's tech support line to confirm it would work before ordering the part. This is on you boss. I'm a mechanic not a gunsmith. But generally on installation a hammer is not a good tool to use. If I saw/knew a gunsmith used a regular hammer to install parts on my gun. I'd find a different 'smith.

You obviously have never owned a Mosin Nagant....

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    this whole thread is exactly why barrel shrouds should be outlawed:nono:
    that lady was right after all these years:sad20:

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    :party29:Picking up shotgun barrel on Friday night. Guy doing it said it is complete and is currently drying. I will be paying off and taking home my Glock 22 that night as well. Got to love the Pa. instacheck!! P.S. I can't wait to show you guys pics. Regis told me this barrel has a custom finish. I am cranked!!

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    :party29:Picking up shotgun barrel on Friday night. Guy doing it said it is complete and is currently drying. I will be paying off and taking home my Glock 22 that night as well. Got to love the Pa. instacheck!! P.S. I can't wait to show you guys pics. Regis told me this barrel has a custom finish. I am cranked!!

:D

What happened to the 19 you were gonna get?

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    :DFound a used 22c at the shop I deal with. 4 mags, the 22c, and an extra barrel(glock: 140.00 value)!! 19 is off the list. Saved 150.00 buying this one instead!! That buys ammo!! Out the door price on the 22c was 397.00!

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    :thumbsup:Check out the (as promised here it is) thread in the water cooler. I posted pics of the repaired barrel there!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom