• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NRyan

Dec 18, 2012
    I submitted for my HQL on 4/8 and yesterday the "Secondary Review" line appeared on the checklist.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Applied 3/22/2016

HQL is ACTIVE - 4/19/2016

I got a call from the MSP yesterday and the reason for the secondary review was that they never got my fingerprints. A couple calls later, I got it straightened out.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When the HQL's first went into effect in 2013 the MSP was issuing them in about a week. Now they all seem to take the full 30 days. I wonder why?:sarcasm:

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    As someone else said, "I finally said to heck with it and applied". I knew one day I would need it and then have to wait 30 days to exercse my right so I figured might as wel get it knocked out while I don't need it immediately.

Applied: 4/14/2016
    Application Fee Checked 4/14/
    DSHS Checked 4/15

And that is it so far. As the procedure seems to be going, I should see an approval online around 5/10 and have in the mailbox around 5-14. I will keep ya posted. Until then...:innocent0

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    One of my other son's took the HQL course at Tyler Firearms on Apr 9th, they filled out all the paperwork there and submitted it that day. He got it his HQL card in the mail yesterday, May 5th.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I was wondering a few questions about the HQL.

I already have the training requirement covered and plan to get printed tomorrow. I think I am going to search online for the rest of the process.

I sure wish I didn't have to waste all this money to have my rights taken away. UGGG

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Last edited:

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    When the HQL's first went into effect in 2013 the MSP was issuing them in about a week. Now they all seem to take the full 30 days. I wonder why?:sarcasm:

In the beginning very few people were taking the training and then some of them were not applying. The first group's training window closes three years after you've taken in. I've had a lot of people apply recently that took training in late 2013 or early 2014

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In case anyone missed my addition in a post above.

Friday the 13th. How is that for balls?

Let me count the ways I tempted the fate gods.

1. Fingerprints done, but they spelled my last name wrong. The girl corrected it in the computer but not on the printout the guy gave me.
    2. Driver's license had old address while MVA has updated my new address but hasn't gotten me my change card yet.
    3. Had to take a pic of my Hunter's Safety card and "upload it to my computer via email from my smart phone" Then try to forward it off my computer with the application. ( will see if they get the documentation)
    4. Had to Pay for the Application fee with a relative's credit card.
    5. Live in Maryland where they make everything cost an arm and a leg in terms of $$$ and hassles.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In reflecting on my whole ordeal about the HQL and fingerprints etc, I just remembered another bit of news/wake up call I got as I was writing my check to pay for the printing.
    The lady who was taking my check told me the prints I was paying for were only going to be good for the HQL. In other words, if I plan to get my Md Carry permit, it will cost me again for printing. Then, if I want to get a Utah, FL, VA etc, it will cost me for every time I supposedly need printing for each and every state I plan to get a permit for.

If anyone has experienced differently to where one set of prints can be used for more than one permit at a time, please inform me how you did it. Thanks

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In reflecting on my whole ordeal about the HQL and fingerprints etc, I just remembered another bit of news/wake up call I got as I was writing my check to pay for the printing.
    The lady who was taking my check told me the prints I was paying for were only going to be good for the HQL. In other words, if I plan to get my Md Carry permit, it will cost me again for printing. Then, if I want to get a Utah, FL, VA etc, it will cost me for every time I supposedly need printing for each and every state I plan to get a permit for.

If anyone has experienced differently to where one set of prints can be used for more than one permit at a time, please inform me how you did it. Thanks

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Most Livescan print vendors keep your prints on file in their system for about 60 days. Varies by vendor.You can take the print cards to them before the 60 days are up and get the prints done on those cards. Unfortunately FL requires the prits be done by a LE agency. Use the cards provided by each state.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Swinokur, at Worth a Shot, their lady told me the set of prints I was getting was only good for the HQL. Any other need for prints would have to have specific dedicated set for each place I would be sending them. Maybe there is a cheaper way than spending $54.50 x however many Permits we apply for.

Not so sure considering this that I found in a FQA about Live Scan

3. Do I need to do a live scan again if I have already done it once or more before? Yes. The DOJ does not share your information with other agencies. It is against the law for different agencies to share confidential fingerprint results with each other. An applicant’s Live Scan form acts as a release for a criminal history response to be sent to the specified requesting agency. This means that you must submit a new application each time a criminal history is requested of you; therefore you must go through the Live Scan process again. Previous Live Scan information CANNOT be utilized. You must be Live Scan fingerprinted any time you change employers when you work in the public school system.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The HQL prints are submitted to MD CJIS electronically. There is nothing stopping a vendor from printing those prints on fingerprint cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom