• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Is this different that what they previously did? I thought they would usually take your money and deny you. I would definitely send a copy of the letter to Smigel.

No, this is what their procedure was in the past. I got the same treatment when I applied 10 years ago. It helps preserve their 97% approval rate because they never processed your application.

Next time they get in front of Smigiel I hope he asks them how many applications they have returned with out processing them,:tdown: and if this counts in their 97% approval rate.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I have never seen the state of MD pass up any opportunity to take a person's money. This is shocking.

There's a reason for that. His name is Ray Woollard. :)

MSP would not be acting in its best interests to deny applications on the basis of G&S even during the stay. That they're returning it is an interesting move that may or may not open them to some liability.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Not unexpected. Since the application is never really processed it won't affect their statistics. I bet they aren’t even keeping a record of the ones they return so no one can find out how many people applied after Woollard.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    There's a reason for that. His name is Ray Woollard. :)

MSP would not be acting in its best interests to deny applications on the basis of G&S even during the stay. That they're returning it is an interesting move that may or may not open them to some liability.

Huh - this is interesting. If I was relatively sure they'd give the money back if they kicked the application, I'd be inclined to submit one. I never did in the past because I was told you have close to 0% chance of being approved and they will keep your money regardless.

/new to MD, still learning all these insane laws.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not unexpected. Since the application is never really processed it won't affect their statistics. I bet they aren’t even keeping a record of the ones they return so no one can find out how many people applied after Woollard.

Isn't that obnoxious. They just send the whole thing back and pretend it never happened. This will be interesting.......

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Question of the hour is, what about us guys with checks already deposited. :sad20:

This one was submitted AFTER the judge issued the Stay, so NOW they go back to business as usual. I bet they sit on the other ones, so their approval rate doesn't get beat down.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Hmmm....I thought they said they were going to sit on them. This will certainly skew their "97% approval rate", won't it?

I can see the MSP thought-bubble now...

Well, it's not a denial, so there's no technical violation of the order (although since G&S was mentioned, it could get interesting)... and it's not even a "processing", since the fee was returned as well (and therefore not a refund, since it wasn't cashed??")

It's a zero-stat. Never happened.

Edited for clarity... sorry about the confusion

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Well, it's not a denial, so there's no technical violation of the order (although since G&S was mentioned, it could get interesting)... and it's not even a "processing", since the fee was returned as well (and therefore not a refund, since it wasn't cashed??")

It's a zero-stat. Never happened.

With the exception the OP has been harmed, having shell out well over $50 for livescan fingerprints.

kjp1231

May 17, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    How can they claim it wasn't processed?

I had a MSP Sergeant call me and my wife to verify information on my application. The information we were asked about was only on my application so they had to process the information then determine there wasn't a G&S reason. For my reasoning, I used the verbage provided by MSI, which was on my application. If they claim there wasn't G&S reason in my app, then they processed it and are denying.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Not considering an application that arrived after they stay is probably unwise for the state, but not technically illegal since the judge's ruling of G&S as unconstitutional is not in effect. What will be really interesting is if they start denying applications that were A) in before the stay and B) already have had their application check cashed. G&S did not apply when those applications were filed, so there could be some grounds for further legal action once everything is settled.

I wonder if there is any way to collect data on previous applications that were "returned" but not "denied". It would make their 97% approval rating drop a good bit I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom