• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I've been thinking about designing and building my own home made target stand to take along with me when I know that a facility isn't going to provide them or if I'm just not sure what to expect when I get there. Previously we've used large cardboard boxes, but I'm trying to make something reusable.

I'm thinking a 2x2 or 1x2 (furring strips) frame and maybe a removable (replacable) 1/4" ply backing for the targets. I could screw everything together with woodscrews or i could use nuts/bolts/washers tomake it easier to repair damaged members as it gets shot up.

I'm thinking a freestanding design versus having stakes or pins that need to be driven into the ground. If freestanding then I want it to collapse/fold or take down into two parts for easy stowage and transport.

I'm sure somebody out there has done exactly what I'm describing. Any thoughts on the matter??

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Use cardboard for a backer, and hinges inside the frame on the top left/bottom right, and outside the frame top right/bottom left. Just basically staple a peice of cardboard on, and it is rigid, remove it, and it folds right up, Unless it is to be sitting on something solid, or at least flat, using feet doesn't work well, Last one I built, I used big nails through the feet to both ancor and level the frame.

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    DSCN7951.JPG

DSCN7952.JPG

DSCN7954.JPG"

DSCN7955.JPG

there is another thread floating around here that has a link on building this guy. If im honest i dont really like my setup very much. It relys a lot on the tension and friction of the wing nuts holding it up to stay up. HOwever it folds down completly to a few pieces of wood and meets most height requirements. I think if i were to change anything, i would make a tounge and groove type stand where a 2x4 slides into a slot at the base and holds everything up.

then i would add places to hang cans and clays

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Where are you thinking of taking it? Most ranges have rules about the materials and construction of target stands if you provide your own.

On the issue of free standing: unless you are going to provide a heavy base you'll want to design something with spikes to hold it in the ground. Even in a breeze a target stand makes a nice sail being tall and thin.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I got my homemade target stand idea online;

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/pvctstandc.htm

the only think i did different because I didn't like the idea of drilling and using string....it looked too cheap.

I use ties to hold my binder clips into place (3 on top and one on left and right) and then clipped the binder clips to a cardboard backing. Works great except on windy days but that can't always be helped.

Altogether materials were under $20 and my neighbor and i did it in about 15 mins. take 2 minutes to build at the range and 1 min to breakdown.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I've built mine out of scrap 2x4s. Two outer legs (2-2.5ft); two parallel pieces centered with a 2" gap between them connecting the two outer legs; two filler pieces screwed between the parallels leaving a 4" gap in the center. This allows you to use a 2x4 of whatever length you want that fits into the gap as the target holder. I use a 4ft length of 2x4 to staple the cardboard backer (I use IPSC targets or plastic sign backers- thanks 3rd Recon) to the top. It breaks down, does not blow over, and the 2x4 is easily replaced if shot up. I did it with all scrap wood....too easy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I always thought PVC would make a good target stand until I saw someone with one at AGC. (side note: AGC has specifics on materials and construction of target stands and if I had tried this, I'm certain the anal retentive RO's would have been on me like stink on poop.)

They were shooting an AR and one of their shots hit one of the uprights and shattered it like glass. Needless to say their day ended early. Mine are all constructed out of firring strips and I've hit them too many times to count. I usually just finish shooting, bring them home and pump some Gorilla glue into the holes and I'm good to go.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I tried making home made target stands but none of my friends could shoot straight and all the stands got blown to hell. I gave up after that.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    If its an outdoor range (which if you need your own stand, it most likely is) Use 1x2s or other cheap wooden stakes about 5' tall , sharpened at the end to stick in the ground. You can throw a dozen of them in a trunk or bed of a truck. Use cardboard that you take with you (maybe 2x3', or an IDPA/IPSC target) as the cross support. When you have the two verticle supports staked into the ground (a hammer may be useful), staple the cardboard at the top, then staple your targets to that.

Cheaper, easier, more compact, and more effective in the wind than some of the more elaborate setups....provided you have ground to stake them in to.

scythe944

Apr 16, 2008
    Delta, PA
    I'm a novice but...

I made one just like guthook stated from his post... (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm)

It's actually quite easy to build, cheap, and very easy to tear-down and put up, and quick too.

It only costs about $10-15 and you can pretty much put into any vehicle you want. Hell, you can put it into pretty much any car or truck, and use any type of backing that you want. You can use cardboard, or some cheap pressed wood (which is more expensive, but will last longer). The only problem that I have seen, (in my limited shooting experiences which is about 4 times at the range) is that PVC, although very easy to build and transport, once it's shot, it's pretty much done for. My first stand didn't last long with a misplaced .357 mag shot to one of the sides! :D

Wood will last you a lot longer, but is heavier, and isn't so portable (depending on the design of course).

Your best bet is probably to decide how many times you want to build the thing (when you shoot it to death, and not that you may have bad aim, but at longer ranges and older weapons it will get shot), how much money you want to keep paying for rebuilding target stands, and what weapons you will use with it. Obviously, automatic weapons will spray more ammo, and it is much more likely to strike the stand instead of the target. If that's the case, wood would probably be a better bet....

If you have a truck or something with some room, you can probably go with the bigger, wood targets that will last you a while. If you don't have much room, or want your stand to be more portable, I'd go with the PVC.

I've thought about this before, and I've had some pretty elaborate plans drawn up with wood and some type of sleeve mechanism so that the sides can slide into the sleeve, and be torn down when finished, and hinges so that it would fold up, but then again, how much do you want to put into such a thing, and how many times do you want to rebuild it???

I guess it all depends on your situation...

Hope this helps!

BTW: I just noticed mvee's suggestion from above my post, and although nice, and will probably last forever, $50 is a little expensive for something that is that low to the ground (are you going to shoot that low?). If you built the same thing out of PVC, filled with sand, and put wood stakes in the holes, it will be far cheaper, and do the same thing. You could probably even keep it unglued (for tear-down purposes) and fill it with water to weigh it down (if needed), then when you're done, you can dump the water out, tear it down, and carry it away. Something that low to the ground will probably never get shot, so you wont have to worry about it being shattered to pieces...

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Something that really works well for the target backing (what you attach your paper targets to on the stand) is the sign material that you can find being placed all over street corners. You know, the rectangular advertisements that are stuck in the ground with wire legs. This sign material is made of some type of plasticized cardboard, and it is PERFECT for absorbing bullet holes without deteriorating like cardboard, and if it gets wet, it doesn't rot or tear. Very sturdy material. you can find these signs everywhere, and they're free.

Also, it does your community good by cleaning up the street corners and removing them, they do present an eyesore. I used to be quite pissed when I had to constantly go out and remove them. Now I actually look forward to it when a Realtor or someone else places one of those signs on my corner. :)

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Well, there will be alot of them to pick from in November.

:thumbsup:i forgot all about this thread. thanks for all the great replies. i still don't have a solid plan yet but at least i have a place to start. i think i'll design something simple for now and treat it as a learning experience. when the first one gets shot all to hell i will have a better idea for the next one ;)

RobMoore, maybe some of you cityfolk can donate some of those fine Obama signs for the cause? all we have up here in Washington County is McCain signs.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    You call Kent Island city? All we have is McCain signs here as well.

I saw plenty of Obama signs as I drove through southeast D.C. today, and will see plenty tomorrow when I work the Manassas rally he is giving arouhd 9pm (not by choice).

I need to have my wife sew my lips shut tonight, so I don't shoot off my mouth at the obnoxious Obama supporters tomorrow (I have found that democrats in general are more mouthy at security checkpoints than Republicans. Republicans know they are visiting an event where the president will be, and just shut up, empty their pockets, and put their bags on the table for searching...it goes by alot quicker that way. Democrats want to express their every political view to the world as they pass through security)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom