• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Good for you rsideout.

ar15dave: I bought an Osprey about two weeks ago and am still waiting on the Form 3 so it can make its way back to my FFL. Got it from MajorMalfunction. If you are looking, I suggest Bryon over there as his prices were top notch and his service has always been good.

Cool, you will have to let me know how it shoots. If you dont mind me asking, how much is he letting them go for? Did you get the 9, 40, or 45? I am considering the 9mm as I shoot that mostly although I do have a lot of 40 ammo. They say the 9 is more effitient shooting 9mm than shooting 9mm through the 45 or 40, but I am wondering if getting the larger version that allows to shoot multiple calibers would be a better deal even if it is a little louder than the 9 version.

Still debating which one to really get.

Dave

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Dave,

Got the 9mm Osprey for $699 plus $18 shipping. No tax.

I also have both 9mm and .40 guns but went for the 9mm suppressor. Primary reason: it as in stock and ready to move. NFA waits are long enough as it is. I called looking for in-stock items that would fit one of my guns (rifles, etc.) and just bought the one he had that would fit a gun I had. It's my second purchase from Major Malfunction and Bryon has been good people. Likewise Skip Edgely for the MD side transfer.

I am not completely sure about thread compatibility between 9mm and .40 barrels. I am sure there is a way to handle it, but generally they are different. The Osprey has adapters for the barrels so using a .40 on a 9mm is something that could probably work. I bought an AAC SCAR-H SD (7.62mm) suppressor and AAC says it is also good for 6.8mm. Many out there also run it on 5.56. I'll try it and see how it works, but I am still planning on a dedicated 5.56 silencer soon.

We had a recent thread talking about the options for pistol silencers where some other people toss in good detail. That's where I learned about the Osprey - I was initially going for an AAC Ti-Rant.

AAC TiRant and SilencerCo Osprey Thread

As soon as any of these clear ATF I will post reviews and probably bring them to a shoot.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Sweet. how did you get the thing from an out-of-state dealer? Engage Armament is the only Maryland Class 3 dealer I know and they want to charge MSRP.

Dave

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Skip Edgely is a Class 3 FFL in Sykesville. PM me for his digits and email. He charges $50 for suppressor transfers. He is quite a drive from Southern MD but since we do all the paperwork online I only need to drive there when the process is done and I need to pick it up. That's not a problem for me.

There are not that many NFA FFLs out there. It's a bit of a pain for them. We need to keep the guys who take care of us working, paid and happy.

As for Major Malfunction...Bryon (owner/operator) is not responding to phone calls from me or Skip on my recent purchase. One hopes he is not starting to flake.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Skip Edgely is a Class 3 FFL in Sykesville. PM me for his digits and email. He charges $50 for suppressor transfers. He is quite a drive from Southern MD but since we do all the paperwork online I only need to drive there when the process is done and I need to pick it up. That's not a problem for me.

There are not that many NFA FFLs out there. It's a bit of a pain for them. We need to keep the guys who take care of us working, paid and happy.

As for Major Malfunction...Bryon (owner/operator) is not responding to phone calls from me or Skip on my recent purchase. One hopes he is not starting to flake.

Cool, thanks. Keep me informed about the Maj Malfuntion situation. Hope all goes well.

Dave

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Bryon at M3 got the paperwork in and everything was sent to Skip; papers submitted to ATF yesterday.

I spent some time at NFAtracker and noticed that Trust approval times are now higher than individual times, at least for recently reported submissions. The NFAtracker's reports for the life of the database say individual times average 104 days and trust times average 85 (Form 4), but looking at recent submissions and approvals it seems the opposite now.

NFATracker does not have any fine-grained query tools, so I cannot get it to create an average for submissions in the last 6 months, for instance. But if you order the columns and then go through it by page, it seems pretty clear trust transfers are now slower than individual transfers. When reviewing the most recently reported approvals and computing the times, trusts are generally taking longer.

This kinda parallels what we have been hearing regarding ATF now sending out trusts for review before approving them. It seems it this adding a decent amount of time?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am SO wanting a 9Osprey and a 40Osprey but only have money for one right now. Thinking of getting the 40Osprey to use on both claibers and get a 9Osprey later.

Dave

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I think you can do that, but you need adapters for each barrel. I got the Osprey 9 because it was in stock and ready to go. The 40 was still a month or two out.

I'm shopping for 5.56 and .40 suppressors. Right now I am looking to AAC for the rifle caliber (SPR/M4 or M42000). I bought a SCAR-H SD from AAC for 7.62 and will see if I like it before buying anything else, though. If the Osprey is what they claim it to be, I will stick with it for the .40 as well. I am hoping to buy the 5.56 suppressor next month.

So yeah, I am now officially into "stamp collecting" (4 forms pending now).

I'll head somewhere public with the AAC and Osprey when they clear, in case anyone wants to try them out.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I'm shopping for 5.56 and .40 suppressors. Right now I am looking to AAC for the rifle caliber (SPR/M4 or M42000).

I recommend that you look at this thread "Excessive blowback with AAC M4-2000 on 16" M6A3" (http://forum.lwrci.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7185)

It appears that in 556-land, the AAC cans are regarded as having better sound reduction, but this is achieved by bottling up more gas in the can, which results in more backpressure in the upper and blowback in your face.

I've been shooting with an M42000 in 556 on a 16" bbl and it's not particularly pleasant in that regard.

Some say that Surefire cans have less blowback (although they may be louder). AAC advertises that the SPR/M4 is hearing-safe.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I saw that thread. Thanks.

I can put the SCAR-H on my M6A3 as they both take Blackout mounts (although AAC warns of potential baffle strikes with the smaller adapter). I planned on seeing how much gas bleeds through and then assume a true 5.56 suppressor will be more.

I heard the nice things about the SPR/M4 is the larger volume reduces blowback a bit. But either way I am going to get a gasbuster handle and probably use some RTV silicone.

Have you tried those yet? How did they work?

I hate top-mount charging handles. Stoner was stoned when he devised those.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I think you can do that, but you need adapters for each barrel. I got the Osprey 9 because it was in stock and ready to go. The 40 was still a month or two out.

I'm shopping for 5.56 and .40 suppressors. Right now I am looking to AAC for the rifle caliber (SPR/M4 or M42000). I bought a SCAR-H SD from AAC for 7.62 and will see if I like it before buying anything else, though. If the Osprey is what they claim it to be, I will stick with it for the .40 as well. I am hoping to buy the 5.56 suppressor next month.

So yeah, I am now officially into "stamp collecting" (4 forms pending now).

I'll head somewhere public with the AAC and Osprey when they clear, in case anyone wants to try them out.

yeah you can get a cam and change it out which changes the threading. that is not the problem. It is the other end of the Osprey that is the issue. The hole thru the baffles and the other end of the osprey are only drilled to work with the 9mm on a 9Osprey. At least that is what Mike at Silencerco said. Since the 45 and 40 Osprey have larger holes through the baffles and casing at the other end, you can interchage the cam in the rear and shoot smaller calibers.

Let me know when and where you are going to shoot. I will bring my 22Sparrow. I am trying to setup a silencer shoot but having trouble finding a range to host it.

BTW, PM sent

Dave

Last edited:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    yeah you can get a cam and change it out which changes the threading. that is not the problem. It is the other end of the Osprey that is the issue. The hole thru the baffles and the other end of the osprey are only drilled to work with the 9mm on a 9Osprey. At least that is what Mike at Silencerco said. Since the 45 and 40 Osprey have larger holes through the baffles and casing at the other end, you can interchage the cam in the rear and shoot smaller calibers.

Let me know when and where you are going to shoot. I will bring my 22Sparrow. I am trying to setup a silencer shoot but having trouble finding a range to host it.

BTW, PM sent

Dave

Oh, hell yeah. I left off the obvious. Square Peg/Round Hole is not conducive to safe shooting.

I talked with AAC about slapping a SCAR-H SD (7.62mm) can on other calibers. It is officially sanctioned for 6.8 and AAC uses the same exact Blackout mount for it on 6.8 as they do on 7.62.

The 5.56 mount "works", but loses one of three contact points with the suppressor. As a result, a baffle strike is theoretically possible. I have no seen any reported in the wild, but AAC is playing it safe. I agree with them, which is why I am seriously considering the SPR/M4.

My only issue is that the SPR/M4 is a reflex mounted can, so it sits back over the barrel a good distance. As a result, it may blow my SBR builds. I can adjust the 5.56 builds on my XCR and AR-15, but the PS90 would not work with anything but the M4/2000.

Decisions...

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am thinking for a rifle can I will get something in a 7.62 and use it on a 5.56 as well. Not sure who to go with. Ever time I turn around Silencerco comes out with an awesome product and i end up buying one.

Patrick, once I get my 40Osprey maybe we can hook up and compare.

Dave

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Anyone know where I can find a gun vise this weekend. Like right now?

My SCAR-H SD cleared and I picked it up last night. I need to swap out two flash hiders. Now.

I talked with AAC about slapping a SCAR-H SD (7.62mm) can on other calibers. It is officially sanctioned for 6.8 and AAC uses the same exact Blackout mount for it on 6.8 as they do on 7.62.

The 5.56 mount "works", but loses one of three contact points with the suppressor. As a result, a baffle strike is theoretically possible. I have no seen any reported in the wild, but AAC is playing it safe. I agree with them, which is why I am seriously considering the SPR/M4.

I don't know what the hell AAC was talking about: the 5.56 flash hider for the SPR/M4 and the 7.62 for the SCAR-H are identical on all external measurements. The only thing different is obviously the bore hole for the round. Other than that, the SCAR-H should fit onto the 5.56 mount the same exact way.

I'm comparing mounts that AAC sent me direct. I need to call them and ask about those "contact points". Maybe one of the three missing points was near their sales department? ;)

EDIT/UPDATE: Got two rifles set up with Blackout mounts yesterday. The can works great on both 7.62 and 5.56. Large sound reduction, but not quite hearing safe for me. Maybe others, though.

Last edited:

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have an AR15 setup to fit in the mag well or upper and then a vice to work on ARs. I put together my own ARs when I want a new one.

I live near Mt Airy, MD

Dave

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have an AR15 setup to fit in the mag well or upper and then a vice to work on ARs. I put together my own ARs when I want a new one.

I live near Mt Airy, MD

Dave

Thanks. It was easier than I thought it would be when I used some wood protectors on the upper receiver. Much like what I saw on Brownell's. I just used what I had in the shop, no problem.

I do need some basic gunsmith tools for simple stuff, though.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Details:

Item: Suppressor
    Dealer Initial: S
    Type: F4 Trust

Mailed to ATF: Feb 19, 2010
    Received by ATF: Feb 23, 2010
    Check Cashed: Mar 02, 2010
    Pending: Mar 31, 2010
    Approved: Jun 11, 2010
    Received: Jun 16, 2010
    Examiner: Sandra Snook

About 4 months from the date the paperwork was mailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom