• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    In celebration of my 50th birthday, I decided to scratch one off the bucket list by going Wild Boar Hunting in Florida. I participated in three styles of hunting: swamp buggy, dog, and stand.

Let me preface this story with the fact that I flew from BWI to MCO and met my retired brother and a friend. My brother drove down with large fish coolers to haul back the meat. The check in process at BWI and MCO were uneventful for rifle and handgun. Just follow the TSA and Southwest website for instructions.

The first hunt was the swamp buggy hunt and was a solo trip. This hunt was booked thru a company called Rons Guide Service. Rons is a booking company, the guide/outfitters name was Blake. I promptly met Blake in the afternoon and we boarded a swamp buggy. This buggy has large rubber wheels and a flat platform on top. Blake drove this buggy into the hunting area. For a couple of hours, we saw and kicked up a few small to medium hogs, but nothing worth taking. Later that afternoon, a big boar broke out of woods and headed across the field to a another wooded area. Blake was on it, and got me into a position about 75 yards from boar. I took a running shot at boar and connected, but needed a finishing shot to the head. The tusks measured 2 1/2" and I decided to get a European mount. The location of this hunt was north of Lake Ockechobee and the cost was $275 plus tip. http://ronsguideservice.com/

The second hunt was the dog hunt. This hunt was booked with Triple M Outfitters. I met up with my brother, friend, guides, and dogs at Matts (owner and guides) house at 8:00pm. Matt was out of town, but set up with two of his guides Jedd and Brandon. The guides led us to Matts property about 10 minutes away. We jumped onto a swamp buggy and headed off into the night. After about 15 minutes, we stopped and turned off the buggy. The dog was let go and proceeded to try and pick up a trail. The dog began to signal that it was on the trail of a hog and eventually got one. The dog was outfitted with a GPS device and the guide determined he was 125 yds away. The guide fired up the buggy and off we went. After getting close to where the dog and hog were located, the guides jumped off the buggy with a hunter in tow and ran to the dog. One guide grabbed the two hind legs of the boar (like holding a wheel barrow) and the other guide pulled off the dog. The hunter approached and execution style, finished with a head shot. This continued for the next several hours and produced a total of six hogs. The location of this hunt was in Palm Bay, FL and the cost was $225 plus $100 for each additional hog plus tip.
    http://www.triplemoutfittersunlimited.com/

The final hunt was the stand hunt. This hunt was booked with Switchgrass Outfitters. We met the owner and operator Seth at a boat ramp at 5:00am and fog thick as pea soup. We hopped onboard an air boat and blasted into the marsh. All I could see was fog on my glasses and alligators sliding into the water as we sped by. Being 50, I almost soiled myself :). After 15 minutes of back and forth, Seth pulled right up to a two man stand. I climbed up the ladder and Seth handed me my stuff. Off he went to drop off the rest of our party. I saw a boar that morning, but I couldn't get a clear shot, so I passed. Seth proceeded to pick us up at noon for a tour of the area and lunch at the Jolly Gator. The views were awesome and the gator and frog legs were good too. At 3:00, we were back in our stands. I didnt see anything that afternoon/evening, but did hear some grunt sounds. My brother did connect and ended up getting a hog. Switchgrass Outfitters is located in Christmas, FL and the cost is $250 plus tip.
    http://www.switchgrassoutfitters.com/

Of the three hunts, the stand hunt was my favorite. Even though I didn't get a hog, I like the idea of stand hunting and the overall experience will be memorable.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 789
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 795
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 897
    • 065.jpg
      065.jpg
      78.3 KB · Views: 799

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    sounds like fun. Price doesn't sound all that bad either. Could spend a lot more going fishing...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Awesome. Happy Birthday!! An excellent way to celebrate. Beautiful pics, as well. How much did you bring home for yourself?

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    What rifle bullet combo were you using? I usually hunt the crystal lake area I think it's called. Always used my AR15 with either the winchester razorbacks, or Hornady 77gr TAP. Both left nasty wounds. Anyway never got one over 200 lbs so the AR has been an easy choice. I'm currently looking for a 308 upper with a 16 inch barrel to use for my primary incase I run into something bigger. I have Barnes tssx rounds for it already. I have only done spot and stalk. I use a 1.5-4x leupold or an aimpoint.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    The meat is fantastic. Each pig is different depending on diet and fat content but they all taste delicious if you know how to cook them. The meat is typically leaner/tougher but if you go low and slow it is out of this world.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    LOL, we hunted with Ron's south of Okeechobee in 2000.
    Didn't much care for Ron himself, but he had some good kids working for him.
    No buggy, but did almost sink my rental Exploder.
    Guide felt sorry for us and told us toget in the back of his truck,with the dogs!

(We skinned (banana style) andquartered at guide's Dad's house,then we
    bonedeverythingout atmotel and tossed bones in canal. Flew home with meat in coolers

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I am going to Ft Myers area in early April. Looking to possibly hunt while I am there if I can find a reasonable hunt or even a private land owner with a hog problem. Anyone know of a place to find hunting land in West FL? I found a hunt for $100 North of Tampa.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    What rifle bullet combo were you using? I usually hunt the crystal lake area I think it's called. Always used my AR15 with either the winchester razorbacks, or Hornady 77gr TAP. Both left nasty wounds. Anyway never got one over 200 lbs so the AR has been an easy choice. I'm currently looking for a 308 upper with a 16 inch barrel to use for my primary incase I run into something bigger. I have Barnes tssx rounds for it already. I have only done spot and stalk. I use a 1.5-4x leupold or an aimpoint.

I used an AR15 223 18" barrel with Nikon 1.5 x 3 Remington Hog Hammers 62gr and a Glock 22 (40 cal) with Speer Gold Dots. Combo worked well.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    The meat is fantastic. Each pig is different depending on diet and fat content but they all taste delicious if you know how to cook them. The meat is typically leaner/tougher but if you go low and slow it is out of this world.

We hunt and we are pretty insistent that what we hunt is not wasted. So if we hunted hogs we assumed that we would bring tons of meat home to eat.

We have had Venison and other game that is all over the map as far as tastiness is concerned and it's all in the cooking.

But over in this post I hear that they're not good to eat AT ALL - at least the boars. :confused:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3407882&postcount=29

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom