• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Contemplating adding another glock to the stable. I do not have a 45acp and I want one. I know the 30s is the newer model and hard to find, question is does anyone have one and what do they think? This gun could be used as my primary HD handgun, I have a 27 and a 23 gen 4 already. I am split between these 2 glocks, I don't think I will be able to find the 30s to fondle in a LGS, and a 21 gen4 will not be easy either. Looking at the gen4 glock 30 too!! Any advise or help, or opinions would be appreciated on this subject.

Bad time to hunt for 45acp I know, but I do not plan on getting anything else for a while, may be years until I get my handgun license in this state.

Please don't hate on my .40 in here, I love them no matter what you say...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Bart's had a good selection of glocks when I was in there sat, call them and see what they have in stock.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I haven't even seen a 30S or know anyone who has. Now a few years ago I did get to handle a 30SF with a 36 slide, and it was nice. I have a G21SF RTF2 and love it.

Now both the Gen4 and 30S are new models, but the 21 has a good track record. I think the full-sized pistol is best for HD. It's a little easier to handle and full-sized pistols are as a rule of thumb always more reliable than compact versions, especially when they're designed later.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    I haven't even seen a 30S or know anyone who has. Now a few years ago I did get to handle a 30SF with a 36 slide, and it was nice. I have a G21SF RTF2 and love it.

Now both the Gen4 and 30S are new models, but the 21 has a good track record. I think the full-sized pistol is best for HD. It's a little easier to handle and full-sized pistols are as a rule of thumb always more reliable than compact versions, especially when they're designed later.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Thanks for the comment, I am pretty sure the 30s is like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I have been leaning towards the 21, that may be due to the fact I have been able to touch one, and the 30s can only be found on gunbroker where I am sure I will pay top dollar.

What's the RTF2 mean, and do for the glock 21?

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    What about a plain 'ol G30 ?

I am a rare breed that's a fan of the Gen 4 models, I have 2 already, but I have given thought to a 30sf, but those are not easy to find also. I guess I am stuck on gen4 in my head...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Gun Connection had a G21 4th gen last week. It's VERY nice.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Gun Connection had a G21 4th gen last week. It's VERY nice.

That's where I fell in love with the 21, and started to wonder what the 30s felt like. Stopped in during the sale they had and looked around.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Is the 30S even on the roster board? If it isn't that might sway you towards the 21. Raylan Givens carries a Glock 21 so that's good enough for me...:)

Yes it is, listed on the roster twice as a 30s and as a glock 30 gen4 which I think is the 30s.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    The 30 has become my favorite in the barn. It's a Fat Lady, but if she sings there is a good chance the show is over. The 30 is just slightly fatter than the 19/23, but it is a tack driver with a 6 o'clock hold. Shooting the 27 is not very enjoyable, however the 30 is a pleasure even for the wife. It's not a 30s but if you'd like to meet at the AGC I'd be happy to bring the 30 out.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    The 30 has become my favorite in the barn. It's a Fat Lady, but if she sings there is a good chance the show is over. The 30 is just slightly fatter than the 19/23, but it is a tack driver with a 6 o'clock hold. Shooting the 27 is not very enjoyable, however the 30 is a pleasure even for the wife. It's not a 30s but if you'd like to meet at the AGC I'd be happy to bring the 30 out.

Do you have the regular g30 gen 3, or the SF model?

I like the 27 to shoot, my first 50 rounds are money, after that I think my hand gets a little worn out and I lose my good groupings. I have only put 100 rounds through it so far. So I get what you are saying on the 27

I feel as if I pick up the 30, I mind as well ditch the 27, and keep the 23. Having just one caliber for my semi autos was the reason I sold my 9mm and I am about to walk down that road again....

tvng22

May 9, 2013
    I went with the plain old G30 with G21 mags.... I dont have giant hands and the wider grip doesnt bother me since I'm used to shooting my gen 3 G26 and G22.

Not a " pretty" gun but it's powerful, accurate and most importantly reliable. I have yet to have any issues with FTF/FTE.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    I went with the plain old G30 with G21 mags.... I dont have giant hands and the wider grip doesnt bother me since I'm used to shooting my gen 3 G26 and G22.

Not a " pretty" gun but it's powerful, accurate and most importantly reliable. I have yet to have any issues with FTF/FTE.

Neither do I, that's why if I was going with a 21 gen4 or 30s, they seemed to have slimmed down the grip on the gen4's, I just like the few new features it offers.

I had plenty of pretty handguns, they are all sold now and I am stocking up on glocks!!!!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Thanks for the comment, I am pretty sure the 30s is like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I have been leaning towards the 21, that may be due to the fact I have been able to touch one, and the 30s can only be found on gunbroker where I am sure I will pay top dollar.

What's the RTF2 mean, and do for the glock 21?

RTF = Rough Textured Frame. It's a very aggressive texture comprised if tiny, sharp pyramids all around the grip. Think of it as factory stippling. Not very comfortable IWB but grippy as hell with oily/wet/otherwise slick hands. IIRC the Gen4 frames have "RTF3" which is grippier than Gen3 but not too abrasive.

I really like the G30S concept, and plan on getting one once they're more available, if they prove to be reliable. I currently carry a G19, and the G30S is practically the same size, with a lot more firepower. I like that. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

One thing to keep in mind with the Glock 30S for now anyways is. You can only shoot .45 ACP out of it, unlike the Glock 30 where you can shoot a variety of calibers with a barrel and maybe a magazine change. That slimmer slide on the 30S does come with a price. Not a big deal to me but it might be to others, just something to think about. A 460 Rowland out of a Glock 30S isn't happening anytime soon.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    One thing to keep in mind with the Glock 30S for now anyways is. You can only shoot .45 ACP out of it, unlike the Glock 30 where you can shoot a variety of calibers with a barrel and maybe a magazine change. That slimmer slide on the 30S does come with a price. Not a big deal to me but it might be to others, just something to think about. A 460 Rowland out of a Glock 30S isn't happening anytime soon.

How many people actually use conversion kits (other than .22 LR)? I would say in my experience as a gunsmith, more than 95% of people shoot their guns in the factory configuration with little to no mods, and hardly ever caliber conversions.

IMO a wacky conversion shouldn't be used for self-defense... but if you want a range toy, I agree a 30 or 21 would be a better choice. The whole point of the 30S is a higher-capacity compact .45 ACP CCW pistol... Don't muck it up! :D

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

I mirror that response... I use a 30 with 21 mags, it's old (pre gen 3) and I added some texture to the grip and primary working surfaces to get better grip on it with slippery hands. It is an awesome weapon and has served me well for years. I do have 'fairly' large hands, so it is a good fit for me. The 21 was also among my choices, but I opted for the slightly smaller frame of the 30. Added a LW barrel to it, so it has gained a bit of bbl length, otherwise (other than some polishing of the parts) it is still as it came from Glock.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    How many people actually use conversion kits (other than .22 LR)? I would say in my experience as a gunsmith, more than 95% of people shoot their guns in the factory configuration with little to no mods, and hardly ever caliber conversions.

IMO a wacky conversion shouldn't be used for self-defense... but if you want a range toy, I agree a 30 or 21 would be a better choice. The whole point of the 30S is a higher-capacity compact .45 ACP CCW pistol... Don't muck it up! :D

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

I doubt I will do much to the 30 besides some new sights and maybe some trigger work. I did buy the 23 and 27 knowing I could make them a 9mm, that was the deciding factor on those, that and I love .40!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom