• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smagel

Hey, hey, my, my
    Jul 20, 2011
    Freddy's Store
    This is likely a noob question, but I just can't find an answer.

Why is a LWRC REPR regulated in Maryland while a Colt LE901 is not?

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    All I know...is that the LWRC gun factory is located in Cambridge, Maryland --- which could possibly mean that the REPR is state regulated for production --- here in Maryland.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Because the 16.1 inch barrel that is available with it is a light contour barrel, (Not an HBAR), would be my guess.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Doesn't this vary dealer to dealer? I also wouldn't put too much thought into the why. Md laws and how they are interpreted are quite often nonsensical BS.

Torin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 10, 2012
    It seems to vary. I was just told my le901 is regulated. I am now sad and have to wait 6-8 weeks to get her home. :-(

Hoping I can change their mind when I go to do they paperwork.

Smagel

Hey, hey, my, my
    Jul 20, 2011
    Freddy's Store
    Because the 16.1 inch barrel that is available with it is a light contour barrel, (Not an HBAR), would be my guess.

I know it's thin ice trying to understand the logic behind Maryland's firearms laws, but just why is my 20" REPR so much more "dangerous" and in need of regulation than my 901? I've done some other research into this with no clear answers.

I guess this is what I was getting at with my original post here and did not phrase it well: why is an HBAR not regulated in MD when a rifle with almost the exact same functionality is?

And, thanks for all the responses.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Uh neither are regulated. Both are .308 ARs (AR-10s) AR-10s are not regulated because they are not a copy of the AR-15 (the AR-15 is a copy of the AR-10)

Smagel

Hey, hey, my, my
    Jul 20, 2011
    Freddy's Store
    Colt LE901 non reg.

Yeah, Lou, I know. I got my 901 from you. :)

Uh neither are regulated. Both are .308 ARs (AR-10s) AR-10s are not regulated because they are not a copy of the AR-15 (the AR-15 is a copy of the AR-10)

You sure about it not being regulated? I had to do the MSP regulated firearm paperwork, the 7-day wait and incur the 30-day till next purchase (before I got the designated collector) for the REPR. Maybe the FFL went overkill on this?

And, I know what both rifles are since I have them :innocent0

Edit: Mopar, if you're right, and the FFL just got overzealous, that would solve the mystery for me.

Last edited:

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I don't think the REPR is regulated as it is an AR-10 variant. To the best of my knowledge, AR-10's are non regulated while AR-15's are. Same reason SCAR's are non-reg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom