• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Looks like I'm moving to Alexandria. It will be a big step in the right direction after living in Montgomery County (Silver Spring) for the past couple years. The wife and I moved here in September 2012 from western Washington (that's state...not DC). We knew nothing about MD but I accepted a big jump in job with the caveat that I relocate to Baltimore. Done. Regret it now (we're home sick) but here we are. We bought a place in Silver Spring. After a few months-we realized what we had done. Stuck it out until a couple months ago and I finally broke. Told the wife "I ain't staying here no mo."
    So we started looking. I wanted to move out to maybe WV-or western VA. But the fact is; I work in Baltimore and she works in DC. Multiple hour commutes just ain't doable. She wanted Springfield, Falls Church, Arlington, etc. I detest most of those areas but again...we have to work (at least until I can work out my dream of being a stay at home dog owner). So we settled on a place in Alexandria. Signing the papers today and our MoCo house has already sold (we have until 4/30 to get out).

The commute isn't going to be awful. The house is literally about a mile from 495. It's about two miles to metro-though that doesn't help me as I work in Baltimore. I know the traffic is rough in that area but I've commuted from Arlington and from Fairfax city to Baltimore. So I know what I'm in for-and I'm still on board with getting out of MD. We realize FFX county isn't perfect but it's a helluva lot better than MoCo.

Any of you guys in Alexandria?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Used to live in Alexandria area.. But it has gotten crowded for me. (Nova in general).

Traffic wise...Its hit or miss depending which route you take.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Have you considered Loudoun County versus Alexandria? It's a little easier going up 15 to 70 East to get to Bmore versus cursing the two beltways to get there.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Have you considered Loudoun County versus Alexandria? It's a little easier going up 15 to 70 East to get to Bmore versus cursing the two beltways to get there.

Yeah we looked at several areas. We looked at some places in Loudon but settled on Alexandria. Again-it ain't perfect; not even close to what I want. But it's easily commutable to our jobs and it beats MD any day.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Where in Alexandria are you? Alexandria covers a pretty big area. I used to live in "Alexandria" even though I was way inside Fairfax County.

Not far from Rt. 1-about a mile or so south of 495. Two miles from Huntington metro. I'm not familiar with the area really but I think it's pretty far inside FFX county.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So you're closer to West Potomac High School. That's not a bad area. I haven't been through that area in a while. There should be a Krispy Kreme near there.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    If you're ever around during the week , we'll have to add you to our little MDS luncheon we do on Duke St a couple of times a year.
    I work in Alexandria next to Port City Brewery, so there's after work meet ups to do as well :innocent0

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    If you're ever around during the week , we'll have to add you to our little MDS luncheon we do on Duke St a couple of times a year.
    I work in Alexandria next to Port City Brewery, so there's after work meet ups to do as well :innocent0

My current work schedule allows me to be home on occasion. A couple Friday's a month, I'm off and I work from home every now and then. Working from home today actually.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Contract signed and sent to selling agent. Purchase pending inspection. Inspection happening Monday morning.
    The good thing is; the owner is a licensed contractor. So any repairs that may be needed will likely be something he can take care of. I'm guessing since he won't have to hire out to do any possible repairs, he won't put up much of a fight if any repairs are needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFwSzZQ4MVI:party29:

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Alexandria is not great but it is better than Maryland, Congratulations.

Thanks for the congrats. True, Alexandria ain't paradise. But compared to Silver Spring (Montgomery County...Where I'm currently living) it's the single beacon of light and hope in an otherwise dim world.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Contract signed and sent to selling agent. Purchase pending inspection. Inspection happening Monday morning.
    The good thing is; the owner is a licensed contractor. So any repairs that may be needed will likely be something he can take care of. I'm guessing since he won't have to hire out to do any possible repairs, he won't put up much of a fight if any repairs are needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFwSzZQ4MVI:party29:
    Even if he's a contractor... I'd Make sure it's fixed per code.. Not just quick fix. ;)

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Even if he's a contractor... I'd Make sure it's fixed per code.. Not just quick fix. ;)

Yeah it will be done right. I'm stoked about the house but there are plenty of houses for sale in VA. I'm not afraid to walk if it ain't done right.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the congrats. True, Alexandria ain't paradise. But compared to Silver Spring (Montgomery County...Where I'm currently living) it's the single beacon of light and hope in an otherwise dim world.

I moved here in 2012 from Maryland. It ain't perfect, but there are perks to living here. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    OP, Welcome to VA. As soon as you get down here, apply for your CHP immediately. No need to wait for your DL to do it. As others have said, feel free to PM with any questions.

So...when is the next luncheon? It's been a while ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom