• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    The great battle rifles ( FAL,G3, M1A) have been banned by the idiots in charge. We can only reminisce about the good old days in marylandistan.

I hear ya. I feel the same way about the Galil and the SIG 550.:sad20:

Hell, we can't even get the 556 anymore.:mad54:

I'm trying to learn to like this newfangled 556xi, and that Galil ACE. I probably could once I get all the damn stupid rails off, but it'll be a bitter pill to swallow.

If I want something that's gonna tear my hands up like a cheese grater I'll slap a quad rail on one of my AR's. Piss on "modularity". I ain't no damn mall ninja.:rant2:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I hear ya. I feel the same way about the Galil and the SIG 550.:sad20:

Hell, we can't even get the 556 anymore.:mad54:

I'm trying to learn to like this newfangled 556xi, and that Galil ACE. I probably could once I get all the damn stupid rails off, but it'll be a bitter pill to swallow.

If I want something that's gonna tear my hands up like a cheese grater I'll slap a quad rail on one of my AR's. Piss on "modularity". I ain't no damn mall ninja.:rant2:

Only a true mall ninja would own a SPAS-12. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just ordered an ATN X-sight digital day/ night 5-18x scope for one of my m1a EBRs

This should give me a bit of night fighting ability while building my Overwatch rifle.

Digital night vision is getting very competitive with gen 2 nv scopes at the fraction of the cost of intensifier tube based systems.

I'd like to hear your impressions on the ATM-X after you've had a chance to learn it. I'm looking for a night capable sight/scope that won't require a second mortgage on my house. I tend to distrust advertisements on these items.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Kinda curious to see the proposed parts list required to make a FAL fit the criteria mentioned. Never been known for much more than general combat accuracy and triggers don't lend themselves to much improvement.Can't say I've ever seen one suppressed either.I like the idea of one in this role because if nothing else it's an unconventional choice.That and I've got a few that need to find a designated purpose other than taking up space in Tupperware containers.Just don't have the vision to make one in to a multi purpose rifle like the OP proposes.Wouldn't mind giving it a try though,intrigued by the idea of it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    the last place I checked was a video atn made themselves. http://youtu.be/dIHWOS3aoP4
    1/4 moon and using a seperate illuminator. i'm not impressed.
    It's like a $600 scope, IIRC, lets not have insane expectations. And let me point out that unlike a PVS-14, you can actually use this thing as a scope during the day. To an extent, we're talking about apples and oranges here. The PVS-14 option is way more expensive because you've got to buy an optic to go with it, or at least a good IR laser.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    It's like a $600 scope, IIRC, lets not have insane expectations. And let me point out that unlike a PVS-14, you can actually use this thing as a scope during the day. To an extent, we're talking about apples and oranges here. The PVS-14 option is way more expensive because you've got to buy an optic to go with it, or at least a good IR laser.

and unlike with a digital rifle mounted scope, you can point a pvs14 at your neighbor without pointing your rifle at him too, you can fit a 14 in your pocket, you can walk trails, run, jog, climb, drive a car (in a pinch), you can use it without the dull red glow of the illuminator giving your position away, aim and shoot a pistol w/ laser... just a few of the positives of a mono over a scope.

You can hunt the arfcom ee, and with a little luck and research, pick a used one up for not much over double the cost of that atn, $1500-1800 easily.

there is being able to see in the dark,
    and being able to see in the dark-ish, as long as there aren't clouds and enough moon and your special flashlight holds up to recoil.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Nobody's denying the positives of the PVS-14. I'm just saying, when you start talking double the price, you're basically in a whole different category.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I'm coming to this party late, and I will be a little contrary...

Have you considered 6.5G in this role? At "overwatch" range, it can equal or exceed .308W in external ballistics and energy. As a combat rifle, it's easier to handle than a .308W. And the package will be a couple pounds lighter! That's a big deal IMO. It will be less expensive to build also.

Ammo is, of course, the issue... but that is getting better every day. And, frankly, for the kind of ammo that will be accurate out past 500 yards, there really isn't much of a price difference.

I was thinking the same as I read through the thread. The benefit certainly on weight, favorable cartridge for purpose/range, AR platform cost/customization, and given the OP will be holding the fort, the ammo can be accumulated for purpose without having to worry about tradeoffs of what to take w/him on the road.

Very good thread, by the way. Too many ideas, and not enough coin. The other thought in the back of my head while reading: Barrett. Followed again by coin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom