• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    An 18" to 20" length barrel is perfect for a varmint contour meant for shooting long distance, which is the meat and potatoes of what White Oak does best.

You are correct, and 18 inch or 20 inch barrel is great, and 18 foot barrel is too long and will have bullets stuck in the barrel.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    You guys are a trip. This thread has primarily been about my typo's and I apologize for that but it makes for fun reading. I have not received the upper yet but I have been doing some research on Bi-Pod selection and optics. This is my first varmint/precision/predator rifle so I am still pretty new to this game.

I think initially I will be bench shooting this rifle at distances 200 yards and under and then intend to use it for fox/coyote hunting at nearer distances. I have been looking at some of the Nikon P products and the P-223 looks appealing with the BDC 600 3x9x40. I think that this may be a good route for entry level optics for my intended use.

Does anyone know what Bi-Pods work well with the WOA rails and have a recommendation on a few options?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You guys are a trip. This thread has primarily been about my typo's and I apologize for that but it makes for fun reading. I have not received the upper yet but I have been doing some research on Bi-Pod selection and optics. This is my first varmint/precision/predator rifle so I am still pretty new to this game.

I think initially I will be bench shooting this rifle at distances 200 yards and under and then intend to use it for fox/coyote hunting at nearer distances. I have been looking at some of the Nikon P products and the P-223 looks appealing with the BDC 600 3x9x40. I think that this may be a good route for entry level optics for my intended use.

Does anyone know what Bi-Pods work well with the WOA rails and have a recommendation on a few options?

It should come with a swivel stud, I just use a Harris bi pod that mounts to that.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Is the hand guard railed on all four sides or just the top? I hate sling swivel studs for mounting bi-pods on an AR, I've seen a couple of studs snap under use. If the bottom is railed, GG&G makes a bi-pod that attaches to a rail.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    When I ordered my barrel from WOA, I bought their varmint-style float tube hand guard too. If yours is the same, they come with a both a short rail section about 3 or 4 inches long, and a pair of sling swivels. You can mount either the rail or one or both swivels as preferred on the bottom front of the tube. I put the rail on mine and used a rail-mount bipod.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

I offer only as a suggestion. I would avoid the P scopes. You can get a Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40 for around $280 on sale, IIRC. To go even further, since you intend on using it long range, I would allot more money to the optics rather than buy twice.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

If you are going to do long range with it, then go with a Vortex Viper. Buy once, cry once.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Shooting close up with optics can be a problem due to parallax. If all you're shooting is 200 yards and in, I'd go with a lower power scope. Nikon makes good glass, I have their P-223 2-7x scope and it works great out to 500 yards. Under 50 yards, you really need an offset red dot or iron sights.

I offer only as a suggestion. I would avoid the P scopes. You can get a Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40 for around $280 on sale, IIRC. To go even further, since you intend on using it long range, I would allot more money to the optics rather than buy twice.

If you are going to do long range with it, then go with a Vortex Viper. Buy once, cry once.

I don't see anything stating long range shooting. And the P-223 series works well for me out to 500 yards.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Shooting close up with optics can be a problem due to parallax. If all you're shooting is 200 yards and in, I'd go with a lower power scope. Nikon makes good glass, I have their P-223 2-7x scope and it works great out to 500 yards. Under 50 yards, you really need an offset red dot or iron sights.

I don't see anything stating long range shooting. And the P-223 series works well for me out to 500 yards.

You are correct. I saw precision/varmint, and combined with an 18" barrel, was thinking long range. 2-7x would be fine for under 200.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I misread it on my phone then. It does happen with CrackBerrys. I thought the 200 was 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom