• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Guys,

I know a few of you here build your own guns. Very recently APEX brought in some previously unavailable CETME Model L parts kits. These are basically HK33s but the Spanish version. CETME was basically set up using German Engineers fleeing post WWII Germany. So its the unofficial Grandchild of the German MG42 and STG45.

Right now, there are no receivers or semi parts out there but that will change if enough kits come in. I have always kind of loved the CETMEs. So I am thinking of ordering a kit. Price is cheap enough. The only other issues is the FSA of 2013. I don't think this would fall into a banned gun but... I am not 100% sure... maybe 99%. Any thoughts/interest?

I have no association with APEX. These kits could be crap but hopefully they are nice.

https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2439

30DEC14_CETMEL KIT-GD_MID.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I can't see how this would be banned. It's a derivative of the CETME, which is also not banned.

I am in the air about whether I want one. You're talking probably $800-$900 for receiver+barrel+build, so something like $1200 for a completed CETME-L once you add the kit and transfer. I don't necessarily think that's a bad deal, especially for an HK33-alike that uses AR-15 mags. But, much like the HK33, you're getting an obsolete rifle on the other side... so that's a thinker.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I can't see how this would be banned. It's a derivative of the CETME, which is also not banned.

I am in the air about whether I want one. You're talking probably $800-$900 for receiver+barrel+build, so something like $1200 for a completed CETME-L once you add the kit and transfer. I don't necessarily think that's a bad deal, especially for an HK33-alike that uses AR-15 mags. But, much like the HK33, you're getting an obsolete rifle on the other side... so that's a thinker.

I agree on the ban stuff. You estimate on price is extremely nice I think. Receiver is going to be low production and not cheap. Same with Semi parts for 922r. Build on HK style rifles is also not cheap if you don't do it yourself. That said, its going to be a pretty rare bird if you ever get it shooting. Likely not see one again. This is one of those guns, that if you are just looking for a 223 rifle, this is not for you. You have to want this gun and be willing to do a bit extra to get it. Also quality on these guns is not great. However with almost all parts kits... they almost always go up in price given some time.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Barrel should be pretty simple. With no gas port to fool with just about any blank could be turned to make fit (it wont have the fluted chamber though.)

The receiver is where one is going to have to either wait for someone else to build them, or get creative w/ some form tools and make your own. The receiver cross section is much more 'square' than a HK so it would be far simple to make out of a couple pieces of sheetmetal pressed and welded together. As a DIY'er, the sides wouldn't be much harder to make than folding an AK. The rear of the mag well would be the tricky bit (since I dont even have a good pic of what one looks like.) Since the mag release for an AR mag is different than an HK mag, you probably can't even cut up a HK flat for donor rear magwell parts. Though the front of the magwell looks pretty darn square so if the rear is as simple looking it might not be so hard to do a good repro.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Receiver is going to be low production and not cheap. Same with Semi parts for 922r. Build on HK style rifles is also not cheap if you don't do it yourself.
    It's just a stamped and welded HK-alike receiver. I don't think it should be that difficult to do. Same for the 922r parts. Build costs are really not so bad for HK rifles, and I envision someone doing a whole bunch of kits production-line-style to keep costs down.

But, you're right - $1200 could be a low estimate, and it might be as much as $1600. There's a lot of good stuff you can buy for that money, and I don't know that this thing is really worth it. Parts kit could be a good investment if you wait for the right moment, but keep in mind that 100k CETME Ls were made... this could be a situation like the Galil parts kits, where it's going to take a long time to run out.

May 13, 2005
    Spanish only had it in service for a decade+ or so then replaced it with the G36 I think, but not sure why it was so short lived. Not very encouraging though. Anyone know details?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Spanish only had it in service for a decade+ or so then replaced it with the G36 I think, but not sure why it was so short lived. Not very encouraging though. Anyone know details?
    Poor performance in the Persian Gulf War due to bad mags. They were supposedly decent enough rifles once you gave them a good magazine.

Keep in mind that the G36 had other benefits over the CETME-L, though - built-in reflex sight, factory folding stock, lighter, etc.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    It's just a stamped and welded HK-alike receiver. I don't think it should be that difficult to do.....100k CETME Ls were made... this could be a situation like the Galil parts kits, where it's going to take a long time to run out.

A stamped receiver is the hardest kind to repro. You need a larger company to do that. You can't just mill one yourself. The stamping dies will be expensive for small production. Who knows if you can import partial complete receiver flats from Spain. Then you need a semi auto design as its different enough I doubt the HK design will cover it.

I have found gun production numbers often don't mean much in terms of what comes on the Civilian market. How many Russian AK parts are in the US... not many at all considering how many were made. Probably more Polish, Romanian, Bulgy...etc.

Reports is that the quality on these guns is not as good. I don't have specifics on that. I still think that beats the M14 service length as standard issue... :)

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The only problem with that picture is that the STG44 should not be in there. The Cetme was a derivative of the STG45 and had nothing to do with the 44. The only hard part about the barrel would be the fluting. And yes, you HAVE to have flutes.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    To bad they are all sold out

Sled, they are sold out at the introductory price, but they still have them in stock at standard pricing. Apex parts kits

Surprised I missed this thread. I have bought two kits and will be building them shortly. The CETME L does not interchange any of the pertinent parts with a HK93 so there should be no issues with building a semi-auto kit. Flats are already in production and a HK93 barrel can be turned down to fit the CETME L. There are also guys working on 922r parts already. Since these use STANAG mags it will be very easy to use US mags and meet 922r.

There is a lot of traffic and information being shared on Weaponsguild right now about building these.

I would be happy to help anyone in the area with getting their build started. There are some very important steps to take when demilling any HK/CEMTE parts kit to make sure you have an intact cocking tube.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Sled, they are sold out at the introductory price, but they still have them in stock at standard pricing. Apex parts kits

Surprised I missed this thread. I have bought two kits and will be building them shortly. The CETME L does not interchange any of the pertinent parts with a HK93 so there should be no issues with building a semi-auto kit. Flats are already in production and a HK93 barrel can be turned down to fit the CETME L. There are also guys working on 922r parts already. Since these use STANAG mags it will be very easy to use US mags and meet 922r.

There is a lot of traffic and information being shared on Weaponsguild right now about building these.

I would be happy to help anyone in the area with getting their build started. There are some very important steps to take when demilling any HK/CEMTE parts kit to make sure you have an intact cocking tube.

If you are offering, I'll gladly take you up on picking your brain on this one. Are you looking into the FAL trigger group or the AR one? The folks looking into the AR one seem to have gone silent?
    Also very little detail on the barrel pressing?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    To bad they are all sold out

As noted, only the intro priced ones. There are here now:
    https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/5050

https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/5057

I wish they would have offered the same for the intro. I would rather have the nicer kit for $25 more.

I just got sent that thread. I need to read it more. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=52787.165

If you are offering, I'll gladly take you up on picking your brain on this one. Are you looking into the FAL trigger group or the AR one? The folks looking into the AR one seem to have gone silent?
    Also very little detail on the barrel pressing?

Why are they not using the original Trigger group? I don't want to use a FAL or AR trigger group. Just like a HK build, why put something else into it. It causes some issues! I really don't like where that is going.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Not sure if you've considered this or not :innocent0......but for price you paid for 2 or 3 of those semi's/SBR's, you could step up to something full auto. :D

Haha.... its not a SBR! Or at least will not be for me. We can round that 15.7" barrel up to a 16"er... :P

However yes, for the cost of 5 or so of these you could get into MGs. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom