• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Prior service here....Had my interview last week. DD214 shows I qual'd as "Expert".

29 days since documented receipt at MSP via FedEx, DD214 with "Rifle Expert Badge" noted, no contact.

DD-214 for me also.
    A better way to figure it out is to ask those already interviewed if they had a DD-214.
    If they didn't, then we'll know something (maybe?).

I started a thread for military folks on this as to not thread jack here.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    29 days since documented receipt at MSP via FedEx, DD214 with "Rifle Expert Badge" noted, no contact.

Just as an aside, does it actually say, "Rifle Expert Badge" on your DD-214 or is it coded with numbers? The reason I ask, is that I'm supposed to be a pistol expert, but nothing stated on DD-214, but a lot of different numbers.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Probably irrelevant, IMO...

I have an interview tomorrow, and never served.

I think others have made mention of not having a DD-214 as well, and getting calls (if not an interview).

That's what I'm trying to figure out, it seems that I've been reading a lot of people submitting a DD-214 have not been contacted.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    my interview:
    trooper as very polite and friendly
    asked to verify my info
    asked if i was ever arrested/charged/convicted of a crime
    asked why i wanted a permit
    when i replied "Personal Protection and all lawful purposes" the trooper volunteered that i should include more reasons than that as they could help my chances.
    asked if i lived alone
    asked if i was married or single
    asked what gun i would carry and if i already owned it
    asked how gun would be stored
    asked if i know the gun laws
    asked to state the gun laws, which i took to mean transport and carrying of firearms
    trooper seemed happy with my explanation of the separation of guns and ammunition from the driver. Trooper stated they want firearms out of the reach of drivers.

one interesting note, it seems that Maryland is concerned with people being armed while driving, even if they have a CCW

asked if i drank and how much
    asked if i use controlled substances

thats pretty much it. I was told there have been no changes to how MSP processes these apps (sounded like they are still using G&S).

Apparently this trooper doesn't know the laws pertaining to transporting weapons. There's no requirement to be out of reach of drivers or separation of guns and ammo even without a CCW permit. It doesn't matter what he wants. How I store my gun is also none of his business.

Seems like each trooper is making up their own interview questions.

Delegate Smiegle should be advised as to the questions being asked.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Do you know the current law for open/concealed carry?
    -Explain the laws.

Okay. I'll bite.

I've heard/read/been told so many different things one this...

What IS the CORRECT answer to this question???

I didn't realize there'd be a QUIZ!!

:lol2:

I'm just going to wait and see how the question is asked of me.

In reality, there are 2 things I may end up mentioning. 1) There is no difference under MD law as to manner of carry, and 2) Transport restrictions are no longer valid with a permit (assuming unrestricted, of course).

As far as general "transport"? If that's brought up, for me that's simple. In-state, I only transport to and from the range FTMP (even though I could also bring up Designated Collector leeway), and I also use FOPA as an initial guide in all cases.

We'll just have to see, though.

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    Pull out the COMAR and ask why you are being asked the question

Wait, what? The interviewing officer can contact my employer as part of the investigation? At his or her discretion?

Yeah, that's the last thing I need. To get canned because HR found out I was applying for a carry permit. I don't even know what my employer's policy is viz-a-viz handguns, but I'm pretty sure it's not "Yeah, we're down with that."

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Only carry law for Md I have seen is not within 1000 ft of a school. No alcohol to be consumed while carrying unless Leo. Obviously any where else that restricts, but are there any more laws?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom